• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USNA instructor recall opportunity

Looked pretty interesting to me, so I thought I'd share...

Submit all applications to reserve.recall@usna.edu.

b. Billet Title: Officer Instructor, U.S. Naval Academy

c. Grade/Designator: LT O3, LCDR O4, CDR O5/Any Designator

d. Number Required: 10

Application Due Date: 15 December 2013

Board Convene Date: 3 January 2014

Selection Notification: 15 April 2014

e. Start Date: July 2014

f. Duration: Three Years

g. Clearance Required: Secret

h. Order Type: ADSW Three Year Definite Recall

i. Eligibility requirements: The U.S. Naval Academy has a need for qualified Navy reserve officers with at least a master’s degree in an appropriate academic discipline to instruct in designated academic departments for fall 2014 and to serve as outstanding military role models for midshipmen.

Recall Opportunities will be considered for the following disciplines: cyber security, information systems, and information technology; electrical engineering, computer engineering, general engineering, nuclear engineering, mechanical engineering, naval architecture, ocean engineering, aerospace engineering, and control systems engineering; mathematics, chemistry, physics, computer science, and oceanography; political science, economics, English, history, and foreign language (Spanish, French, German, Russian, Arabic, Chinese, or Japanese).

Interested Navy Reservists should email a cover letter that states which discipline(s) they are applying for and what makes them qualified for that position, an accompanying resume of experience (academic, professional, and naval experience, including any recent mobilizations, recalls, or extended active duty periods), and a full-length khaki photo to: reserve.recall@usna.edu

Recalled officers will remain on the reserve active status list and will remain eligible for promotion consideration before reserve selection boards. Selections will be made only after USNA placement officers are confident that USNA billets will not be filled from the active duty pool of potential officer instructors. Final arrangements are contingent upon PCS funding being available through the Navy.

Renegade One

None
Looked pretty interesting to me, so I thought I'd share...

Submit all applications to reserve.recall@usna.edu.
Not to be "Captain Buzzkill" here, but this smacks of "We can't afford to hire real professors, so we're scraping…from where we originally told all of you folks to go pound sand. You guys and gals are, like, WAAY cheaper! Please be outstanding role models?"

Seriously, sounds like a good gig for those qualified and motivated.

Yeah, but for some guy getting out, after having just done some cushy shore duty, to then get three years of additional cushy shore duty.

Do they ask the civ profs to be outstanding role models (Prof. Fleming, I'm looking in your direction...)

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I really don't understand how an operational unit can be denied ADSW funding for 180-365 days but the USNA can manage to pull off 30x that amount...for an O-5!

Dude! You just knock the ring man!!! "There's no ADSW funding, huh? (knock, knock, knock). That's what I thought!"

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
Not an academy guy, but I would jump on this for sure if I was in that demographic. Annapolis is an awesome place... If you like teaching it would be a great opportunity.

Not an academy guy, but I would jump on this for sure if I was in that demographic. Annapolis is an awesome place... If you like teaching it would be a great opportunity.
Yeah, I agree! I'm not an academy guy either, but it's a great town and it seems like a fun gig...too bad I have no desire to uproot the family (or get a Master's). Still, seems like a sweet deal for the right person.

Duncan Idaho

I like cheese.
None
I know this is an old thread but apparently there were about 150 applicants in 2013 for 10 positions (that would start in July 2014). Unfortunately, there were also 15 USNA departments fighting for those 10 positions. So even if an applicant was #1 for a particular department (ex Naval Architecture and Ocean Engineering) the "needs of the Navy" may have meant that another department got an applicant instead.

Btw-- once you are at USNA you can apply again for a second set of orders and do 6 years there. I understand there have even been some folks that have done 9 years though most have been hired as civilian faculty by that point or left for other opportunities.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you play your cards right and a few things break your way, you can go off to Ft Severn High for your JO Shore tour and never leave. Go for the Masters & Teaching program as a LT, get picked up for JPMP as an O-4. If you don't screen in your 'home' community, you can go for PMP as an O-5, stay til statutory retirement as an O-6. If you can fit time for your doctorate in there, stay as a civvie prof after that.

revan1013

Death by Snoo Snoo
pilot
If you play your cards right and a few things break your way, you can go off to Ft Severn High for your JO Shore tour and never leave. Go for the Masters & Teaching program as a LT, get picked up for JPMP as an O-4. If you don't screen in your 'home' community, you can go for PMP as an O-5, stay til statutory retirement as an O-6. If you can fit time for your doctorate in there, stay as a civvie prof after that.

How does this work if you are still in aviation when you come up for O-4? I can't imagine someone with a back-to-back shore tour can get picked up for O-4. Is there some kind of magic involved with this particular gig?

RHINOWSO

"Yeah, we are going to need to see that one again"
None
How does this work if you are still in aviation when you come up for O-4? I can't imagine someone with a back-to-back shore tour can get picked up for O-4. Is there some kind of magic involved with this particular gig?
There is nothing magic involved with ANY gig, aside from going to BUPERS as a detailer or placement, which means you WILL select for operational command.

It also depends on your community. In VF/VFA, if you stepped off the chosen path you were pretty much done for unless you had a special circumstance (read, not male and not caucasian). The only reason to go to USNA is if you are just trying to finish 20 years IMO. Obviously as a reservist it would be a great duty, however I'm sure you'll have a bullseye for GSA/IAs or whatever they call them - not to mention they wouldn't dare let a reservist reach sanctuary by taking a recall.

revan1013

Death by Snoo Snoo
pilot
There is nothing magic involved with ANY gig, aside from going to BUPERS as a detailer or placement, which means you WILL select for operational command.

It also depends on your community. In VF/VFA, if you stepped off the chosen path you were pretty much done for unless you had a special circumstance .

Right and that's what I'm curious about. Same is going on in HSC. Step off the path (don't go SWTI/FRS) and you're pretty much done. The claim is that you can go to USNA as a LT, and somehow stay in to 20 years on active duty as a JPMP/PMP. I am curious as to how that's possible prior to O-4 selection , since we are required to stay until MSR.

RHINOWSO

"Yeah, we are going to need to see that one again"
None
No idea, as I've been off active duty for awhile. Previously PMP had to be O-5/O-6 and all the people I knew who were selected were that rank.

Honestly I find it hard to believe someone can be an effective PMP with one sea duty under their belt, but then again the USN does lots of stuff I don't understand... ;)