• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ITX/Camp Wilson

Odominable

PILOT HMSD TRACK FAIL
pilot
Gents,

Has anyone on the forum been to Sunny 29 Palms for ITX somewhat recently? Just trying to get a feel for what a new-guy Skid dude has in store, besides standing duty and getting yelled at for making crappy cover sheets. What I'm looking for in particular is anything beyond the obvious to bring, and good "wish I had known" advice.

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
I know you're not an assault guy so you don't have unlimited space, but a foot locker and camping chair are really nice to have. Especially if you're doing the full 5 weeks. Also some some sweats to wear to the head in the morning. It's damn cold.

Oh and don't eat at the Carls Jr on main side.

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
Hey OP I hope you're safe brother. We're all thinking about the Vipers tonight.

Slingblade

Huge Member
pilot
Flew with Satterfield quite a few times at HT18. Did his LFF with him. One of the best students I have had. His professionalism and preparation for flights was above reproach. On his LFF a flight in which it would be virtually impossible to not pass he showed up as prepared to fly that flight as if it was his first and that he still had something to prove. It spoke volumes of his character and I told him that it would take him far. This nation, the Marine Corps, the HMLA community lost a great one. It is heartbreaking. Seeing someone who was destined for greatness cut short like this hurts in the worst way.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Betsy was a classmate of mine at the Academy. Knew her well, a helluva person. Sadly, another name for Memorial Hall and the class of 2005.

Odominable

PILOT HMSD TRACK FAIL
pilot
Slingblade, thank you for the kind words. Vipers is hurting right now. I winged with Adam, went through 303 with him and if I am ever half the pilot he was I'd be honored - he would have been a fantastic skid pilot.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
I lost a good buddy in a H-1 in pretty much the same desert awhile back. Tough business we're in.

To the OP-

If your ready room isn't into the self-flagellation thing, bring a small air mattress that will fit on your cot.

Also, bring plenty of extension cords. I'm not telling you to daisy chain them, just that there are two outlets in the K-span that you share with your 20 best friends.

Skids roll deep with aircrew, so I imagine a lot of books (professional and otherwise) would be useful as you wait your turn in line to fly. Speaking of waiting in line, bring a pack of decent toilet paper.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Speaking of waiting in line, bring a pack of decent toilet paper.

The only think more valuable than naked pics of your little sister on her 18th birthday at ITX is some Charmin extra soft. Well that and one of those portable phone charger batteries. Or keys to a rental car... You get the idea.