• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Living on The Boat

BigRed389

None
On the amphib I am on we eat crab legs once a week. That has to be a huge waste of money. Who in their right mind thinks eating crab legs once a week is normal?

For us, that kinda stuff only got served underway. In port meals tended to be...horrendous. Might have been deliberate on Supply's part.

Which sounds like another great reason to live onboard.

exNavyOffRec

On the amphib I am on we eat crab legs once a week. That has to be a huge waste of money. Who in their right mind thinks eating crab legs once a week is normal?

well I eat crab legs one day, prime rib the next, lobster, t-bone, oh I also have unicorns and rainbows in my house....

I think most would give up crab legs every week to have decent meals each day.

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
Saw them onload 5,000 live lobsters in San Diego. Went to dinner that night hoping for the best and it was terrible. Way overcooked, like boiled to death.
Crab legs...same thing. Rubbery, nasty, can't even crack the shell because it gives so much.
Rock lobster tails...rubber balls. No, wait, this one isn't...but it's frozen inside.
Prime rib...way overdone and flavorless. Sunday brunch was a joke with the exception of the Filipino food. Perfect every time.
And yes, I am prior enlisted, so I know how the above sounds to someone who has to wait in a 10 mile line for this crap.

I got to the point where I would seek out the one Filipino dude who could work magic on the grill and just order spicy stir fried veggies every day. Every now and then he would throw in some chicken or get creative and it was magic.

Then they moved him to the Chiefs mess for the remainder of the deployment.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
We had a CS who cooked crepes from scratch for the O's at midrats one night. Damn those were good. I'm told some SWOs got him yelled at because "it took too long and held up the line." At any rate, it was moot, because the guy apparently got in trouble in port, lost a stripe at Mast, and got booted back to the mess decks. No more crepes.

exNavyOffRec

Saw them onload 5,000 live lobsters in San Diego. Went to dinner that night hoping for the best and it was terrible. Way overcooked, like boiled to death.
Crab legs...same thing. Rubbery, nasty, can't even crack the shell because it gives so much.
Rock lobster tails...rubber balls. No, wait, this one isn't...but it's frozen inside.
Prime rib...way overdone and flavorless. Sunday brunch was a joke with the exception of the Filipino food. Perfect every time.
And yes, I am prior enlisted, so I know how the above sounds to someone who has to wait in a 10 mile line for this crap.

I got to the point where I would seek out the one Filipino dude who could work magic on the grill and just order spicy stir fried veggies every day. Every now and then he would throw in some chicken or get creative and it was magic.

I bet shortly after he went to the CPO mess he became the CO's cook, that always seemed to happen with us.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Any and all fresh cooking outside of brunch was verboten. As in SUPPO/ASUPPO smacked it down.

busdriver

None
At what point do you guys just say fuck it, I'm going to make my own food? Is that even an option?

My last deployment we worked hard at scamming food deliveries through Air Evac bro level connections (in your world I'd imagine just buy a bunch of local shit during port call) and had BBQ, fresh eggs/bacon to make breakfast (George foreman grill and a toaster) and pizza and all sorts of other shit. Ok, the Pizza oven may be beyond the boat capability. No shit, we built a wood fired pizza oven behind the building. That plus one of our maintenance troops being a professionally trained chef in his prior life led to some seriously good food.

busdriver

None
I'm envisioning a scene where the big XO discovers the JOs with a hot plate and George Foreman grill in their 6-man. The world would explode.
The George Foreman plus a toaster is bad ass, once you toss in a hotplate (aka single burner stove) jesus, you guys could just stop going to the chow hall all together. I mean seriously, single burner on a pan = sliders for all. Like homemade white castle!

The Electrician's Mates don't even want you plugging in your cell phone charger without getting it inspected and approved by them. I have seen non-certified electronics get their cords cut. And hot plates, etc are banned.

But you can always make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich!