• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Correspondence Course Review

rob00000

shift_DAWG,

In the past, I have called the NRTC Help Desk and asked to drop correspondence courses before I hit the 1 year mark.

A nice lady answered the phone and asked for my social when I explained that I wanted to drop a class. It took about a minute for her to dis-enroll me. Upon a re-logon to NRTC, the course was gone.

All,

Thanks for all the gouge in this thread!

After September 30, 2014, I simply downloaded the PDFs (without enrolling in the courses) and filled out the Assignments for the courses that I planned for my current Anniversary Year (all the NEET courses that give points).

One of my desk drawers is full of my Assignments waiting for the courses to appear on the Approved List. As soon as they appear, I will enroll in the courses and start submitting my assignments.

That sounds like a great idea, but points are credited according to completion date NOT enrollment date.

I'm signed up for 4 NETC courses right now. If I let them sit till they are on the approved list till I complete them then I'll get credit for them. It doesn't matter when I signed up for them. Waiting till they are on the approved list before you sign up for them isn't necessary.

I remember talking to Fontaine at NETC on this subject one time. She told me that I could reach my 115 limit for the year then I could sign up for 4 more courses. I could do all 4 courses except say one assignment on each. Then as soon as my new year starts I can go in to NETC & complete the last assignment for all 4 courses & they will be credited to that new year.

When you enroll in a course has no bearing at all in the equation. And since they removed the one year limit on NETC courses then enroll away!

Hey everyone, they NO LONGER have a one year limit on NETC courses. They changed it a while ago, actually.

They WILL NOT drop the course from your active courses if you sit on a course for over a year. I am 100% sure of this.

I once called NETC on a course that was approaching a year since my enrollment & I was informed by Fontaine who is pretty knowledgeable over there that there is no longer a one year limit anymore. No worries on the time limit.

Thanks rob--I think the real issue is that you can only have four active courses at once. So, like I once did, you may sign up for four "dogs" and then be somewhat stuck slogging through them.

The solution is easy though, as Sam mentioned: download the PDFs and do the courses before you enroll; in fact, don't even enroll until you've finished the paper/pencil PDFs and you'll be fine.

rob00000

Thanks rob--I think the real issue is that you can only have four active courses at once. So, like I once did, you may sign up for four "dogs" and then be somewhat stuck slogging through them.

The solution is easy though, as Sam mentioned: download the PDFs and do the courses before you enroll; in fact, don't even enroll until you've finished the paper/pencil PDFs and you'll be fine.

Interesting. Sam stated he did that while he's waiting for the courses to be on the approval list. If it's because he's already enrolled in 4 courses & is at his limit then I understand why he would do that with the PDF's. He never said that so I didn't think (or know) that was the case. If it is then I guess I wasted a lot of time writing stuff that I didn't need to write or post.

Anyway, thank you for letting me know that the 4 course limit may have been part of their concern or their whole concern. I didn't see it mentioned in their posts so I didn't factor it into the equation.

It's all good. I'm just trying to help in any way I can.

I hope & pray they put the NETC courses back on the approval list but knowing how these people operate I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if they never do.

Remember when they took away NKO access to us & swore they would address it & knew how it affected so many IRR sailors, blah blah blah? Yeah, how'd that "fix" work for us? Fix, what fix?

If the NETC courses get reapproved the first one of us that spots it PLEASE come here & tell us immediately!! We should give that person a prize!

RHINOWSO

"Yeah, we are going to need to see that one again"
None
If the NETC courses get reapproved the first one of us that spots it PLEASE come here & tell us immediately!! We should give that person a prize!
Agreed. I have to get 7 more points before May, then 35 points next year to ensure I cross the finish line...

If NETC courses come back online I'm fine but if not I might need to look into the VTU this year to get the 7 pts, as I don't have time to slog through War College stuff before then with my civie job requirements.

rob00000

Agreed. I have to get 7 more points before May, then 35 points next year to ensure I cross the finish line...

I'm in the same boat pretty much as you are. I've got 2 years of points to go. 70 needed to make it, 230 would be nice but at this point I just need to cross the finish line.

J.Bourne

when everyone lost the ability to see their own ARPR/ASOSH it placed a huge burden on the IRR Counselor and PERS-912 point clerks

I hate to add to the workers, but maybe if we stop playing nice and add to the workload, the Navy would do the right thing and allow us to log in and check our records on our own... oh wait.

Sam I am

Average looking, not a farmer.
pilot
Contributor
Interesting. Sam stated he did that while he's waiting for the courses to be on the approval list. If it's because he's already enrolled in 4 courses & is at his limit then I understand why he would do that with the PDF's. He never said that so I didn't think (or know) that was the case. If it is then I guess I wasted a lot of time writing stuff that I didn't need to write or post.

Anyway, thank you for letting me know that the 4 course limit may have been part of their concern or their whole concern. I didn't see it mentioned in their posts so I didn't factor it into the equation.

It's all good. I'm just trying to help in any way I can.

I hope & pray they put the NETC courses back on the approval list but knowing how these people operate I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if they never do.

Remember when they took away NKO access to us & swore they would address it & knew how it affected so many IRR sailors, blah blah blah? Yeah, how'd that "fix" work for us? Fix, what fix?

Actually, that was atmahan that did that. I actually enrolled in 4 courses (the max) and then discovered what I reported. I didn't realize you could download material without enrolling. Doh!

Thomas Gauthier

I'm in the same boat as everyone else. I thought I had my points for the year, but the navy did not accept the courses. I have been grinding out some FEMA courses and got a Joint knowledge online account created. I went on jko yesterday and found out that most of the courses on the approved list are no longer available on jko. I now plan on calling npc to find out why there are approved courses that are discontinued. The FEMA courses have been slow going. The joint knowledge online courses seem more interesting, but those are few and far between. I also thought about making a defense audit university account, but I think you need cac access. If anyone hears anything, please let me know.

Duncan Idaho

I like cheese.
None
...I also thought about making a defense audit university account, but I think you need cac access.
If you can claim to be part of the defense acquisition workforce (i.e. working for a contractor) you don't need a CAC to do DAU classes. I've got instructions somewhere on my home PC. Just PM me and I'll send you the info.

I knocked out a five point class on Sunday while I waited for me wife to get our 4yo dressed (though that was the best points to time ratio I've ever achieved!) I've been doing acquisition related stuff for my day job for over a dozen years so most of the concepts and terms are familiar to me.

RHINOWSO

None
I knocked out a five point class on Sunday while I waited for me wife to get our 4yo dressed (though that was the best points to time ratio I've ever achieved!) I've been doing acquisition related stuff for my day job for over a dozen years so most of the concepts and terms are familiar to me.
Ah, you must have missed "Deployed Medical Systems" correspondence course back in the day... ;) something like 35 points, no tests... easy living...

USNJahawk

pilot
Hey everyone, thanks for all the great information in this thread. I just read the message from Oct yesterday, and called PERS to get the scoop. I came out better than some, because I had completed 30 pts on July 26th, but my last 5 pts in Nov don't count. Incredibly disingenuous of our leadership to write a message that says automatic point granting has been stopped, when in actuality, they just cut off everything from NETC's site.

So passing along some things I've found out in the last day (and correct me if you've found otherwise):
-The spreadsheet from 30SEP14 on the BUPERS IRR FAQ website is the ONLY courses we can do as IRR members right now. It has tabs for different point sources, like DAU, Air University, NWC, FEMA, etc.
-The PERS help desk told me ANY course on that list is approved. I point this out because the message makes it sound like SELRES need prior approval to take a course, yet IRR members do not. We're just expected to fax in certificates. I don't want to turn in FEMA courses and have them later say that isn't professionally developing
-Many of the options in the spreadsheet cannot be attempted. I called the Air Force today to ask about their distance learning JPME. Their student services said no IRR members. Almost everything they have is behind CAC firewalls. I couldn't even get the NWC site to load. These JPME courses would be really painful, but are enough points to get me through my last 3 years if they could just be accessed.
-DAU cannot be done unless you are SELRES or affiliated with the acquisition community, work for a contractor, etc.
-JKO courses on our list apparently aren't showing up on the JKO site (haven't verified this yet)
-I couldn't find the Defense Contract Audit Institute, so I don't know if it's possible to do those courses
-FEMA works. Takes a while to slog through the courses. I just faxed off 5pts to finish this year. I'll resubmit when they accidentally/deliberately lose the certificates in 60 days.

Most of what they put out there are for SELRES, when those guys don't need points via correspondence really. My favorite thing I found out yesterday....I thought, eff it, I'll go back SELRES. I call the recruiters. They said that PERS expects us to do the entire process on our own, with no recruiting assistance to reaffiliate. I'm sure no one at PERS knows how you get a physical when you cannot work with PERS to set up an appointment at an MTF. Plus, I was reminded that I would be under assession medical standards, so if you have waivers, it would be an uphill battle.

I guess a big fallback could be IRR VTU. I have an aversion to drilling but not getting paid though. I may have to suck it up for three years if that is the only way, because it's 48 guaranteed points. This could work though, couldn't it? A downside is that I don't think you can just come and go as you please. If you are VTU, you have the same show up reqs as SELRES. So you can't skip half the weekends and do the rest via correspondence.

Overall, I don't trust PERS/NAVRESFORCOM to allow us to keep banging out correspondence courses as the sole way to get to 20 years. I think the 'quarterly' updates for the ASN approved course list will probably keep removing stuff until we don't have any options left. If and when they get NETC back in the fold, there will probably be next to 0 courses that someone can do that qualifies as professionally enhancing. The 5 pt course I had invalidated was Naval Space. Ironically, the only non-flying billet I have ever applied for was with Naval Space Command. I think that course was very relevant, much more so than Basic Algebra, Airman, and others I took through NETC. You can make a case that a lot of courses broaden our knowledge.

RHINOWSO

None
It took you this long not to trust PERS...? ;)

I'm on JKO and have found plenty of the courses listed. I plan on getting my seven, then getting a bunch of other courses right to completion, then knock them out the day after my anniversary so I don't have to worry out about getting my 20yrs.

I think your assessment is spot on, this seems to be a targeted attack on the IRR. I wonder if it would interest Navy Times?

USNJahawk

pilot
RHINOWSO, I tried searching for the first couple JKO courses on the list and none of them come up. Which ones are you seeing in the course catalog? I wonder if I did something wrong on my profile. It had a weird audience section where you select a bunch of organizations. Maybe I didn't select enough of them.

m5h9

Called PERS to get a points update. Was told that they could only see the total points after the annual update and couldn't see interim points posted before close out. Any suggestions on key words to use as I thought they were looking at the same ASOSH that is visible via CAC?