• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Getting Ready To Resubmit Docs for Med Read...

TheAperturist

I've already submitted for one and they've asked for more documentation. I sent them everything my doctor gave me the first time, but I'm waiting for a letter from my doctor that that's all the information he has and that I've been cleared for full activity.

Long story short, I had a hysterectomy for adenomyosis. There's not a lot of information, there's really nothing about it in the NAMI guide indicating if it can be waivered or not, although a hysterectomy is THE cure for it (adenomyosis is in the uterus, so if the uterus is removed, you no longer have it).

I know no one can tell me for sure what my chances are, that's MEPs job, but is the NAMI waiver guide what MEPs will go by, or is that for those who have already passed at MEPs? Perhaps I interpret incorrectly but I'm taking it that if I am not needing any treatment for it anymore and I've had the "cure" that I COULD be recommended for a waiver. I know that's not a guarantee. I'm really hoping for it though because this is my utmost goal. I just want the chance to physical so I can get to the next step. Yes, I do have a semblance of a Plan B, but TBH I am putting a lot of eggs in this basket, it's what I really want...I won't give up on this until I get in or get to the end of the line.

Any thoughts or advice are appreciated.

exNavyOffRec

NAMI waiver guide doesn't apply to you as your are not going for aviation, and even with aviation you have to meet basic entrance standards as set forth in the Navy Medical Manual.

MEPS doesn't make the call on you, N3M does, MEPS goes by basic enlistment standards for the US military, then your info is sent to N3M. I would bet that MEPS will say "not justified" then your info will go to N3M, they will either PDQ you or tell MEPS to physical you, then once all that is done N3M will make the final call.

I myself never had a person cleared to go to MEPS that was missing any internal organs, even though you are cleared many things in the military that you can be DQ'd for are not only "currently have" but also "history of".

I looked up adenomyosis, it says it can also be called endometrosis, if so current or any history of is disqualifying per the medical manual.

TheAperturist

Thank you for the info.
Endometriosis is actually outside the uterus, while adenomyosis is within the uterus, but if that's what the Navy says, then that's what the Navy says. I guess all I can do is try and hope for the best. I appreciate your reply!

TheAperturist

When you say disqualifying per the manual... does that mean that there is zero chance of trying for a waiver? (Just wondering if there's any hope or I should just start the process of being devastated.... I know no one can tell me if I can get a waiver or not).

exNavyOffRec

When you say disqualifying per the manual... does that mean that there is zero chance of trying for a waiver? (Just wondering if there's any hope or I should just start the process of being devastated.... I know no one can tell me if I can get a waiver or not).

In most cases the doctors can decide to waive many things, I would submit to see what they say.

TimeBomb

Noise, vibration and harshness
McCoyE
Interesting situation. The relevant instructions for commissioning are DODI 6130.03 and MANMED (Manual of the Medical Department) ch. 15. Your specific situation isn't exactly covered, so there will be room for interpretation on the part of the medical reviewer. The DODI states that endometriosis "unresponsive to medical therapy" is disqualifying. MANMED is a little more strict, in that any history of endometriosis is disqualifying for entry into service.

I know there are some differences between the conditions, and it may be helpful to have your surgeon furnish some additional information to include in your physical exam package, specifically mentioning that there was no evidence of extrauterine endometriosis present, if that was indeed the case.

So, if you take the approach that your condition was in fact "responsive" to medial therapy (i.e. a hysterectomy), you should be ok under the DODI. MANMED is a different story, but if there is a clear clinical difference between adenomyosis and endometriosis, you might have a chance.

Regardless, keep pressing.

R/