• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What NRC considers competitive

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
I've been there many, many times. I don't dare post there! I've recently come in contact with a mentor who has filled me in on the ins and outs. Trust me, I don't post on here or ask someone unless I've done extensive research and done my due diligence.
Relax, I was just trying to point you to a resource with people who can help you. They have a sub-forum dedicated to potential recruits, so I'm not sure why you're so intimidated by posting there.

You could also PM stearmann, he is a former SEAL.

Sundevil106150

Just go on the SWCC and SEAL Navy website and sign up there. There are SEAL recruits and active duty SEALs on the forum to help current applicants who are working their way towards becoming a SEAL. People post their PT scores, how to better their scores, whether they got picked up or not, etc. Remember what I told you too, getting an officer spot is like winning the lottery and you must got to Mini BUDS, which will give you a taste as well for what you will be going through for the 6 months of actual BUDS.

Last edited:

speedroller

Rangers
Long-time lurker and first-time poster.

Is there a more current version of the competitive profiles than what was included with the original post in 2013? Perhaps including more communities than just those specified in the original post?

Same question I got.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Long-time lurker and first-time poster.

Is there a more current version of the competitive profiles than what was included with the original post in 2013? Perhaps including more communities than just those specified in the original post?

That's the most current and the only information provided from all communities.

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
So one thing about intel I want to clarify is about prior spooks going intel. There are loads of them selected, but there are still plenty of non-priors, or priors from other rates. Personally, I wish that the Navy would just open up more than four LDO slots per year if that is what they really wanted, as sending a prior chief to be a squadron intel officer or to a FID tour seems to be a huge waste of talent (I say that as a squadron intel O who is not a prior) but I know those manning issues are way above my pay grade, etc. Anyway, my point is that intel is not an IS mustang mafia (like AMDO or EOD). Frankly the selection process is a mystery to me.

Major: Neuroscience

My two best friends in intel down here were also neuro types before the Navy (myself included). Lots of bad jokes about how the carrier makes your hippocampus break.

exNavyOffRec

So one thing about intel I want to clarify is about prior spooks going intel. There are loads of them selected, but there are still plenty of non-priors, or priors from other rates. Personally, I wish that the Navy would just open up more than four LDO slots per year if that is what they really wanted, as sending a prior chief to be a squadron intel officer or to a FID tour seems to be a huge waste of talent (I say that as a squadron intel O who is not a prior) but I know those manning issues are way above my pay grade, etc. Anyway, my point is that intel is not an IS mustang mafia (like AMDO or EOD). Frankly the selection process is a mystery to me.

My two best friends in intel down here were also neuro types before the Navy (myself included). Lots of bad jokes about how the carrier makes your hippocampus break.

The first part of my OR tour Intel was picking a good number of non priors, then the mindset changed and the percent of non priors getting selected plummeted, this was also about they time they wanted to go for more tech guys, I am sure there are still plenty of non priors but not as many as there used to be, and when a designator averages 30 or so accessions via OCS a FY just a few creates a big percentage change

Manzo

Amicmanzo
24 yr old CTN2(IDW)
3 yrs Active Duty
OAR: 48 (1st attempt)
Major: B.S in Cybersecurity, UMUC
GPA: 3.67
LORs: O5 (Ret), GS-12/DP1 (Ret), HMC (family-friend), ITC (family-friend), 2x GS-13's
Appraisals: O5 (IW), O5 (IP), O4 (IW), O3 (IW), O2 (IW)
Evals: MP,MP,EP
(2) NAM (1) FLOC
BJOQ '14 BJOY '14

Applying for IW/IP/Intel

I know my OAR isn't competitive compared to other applicants... But one could only hope now for the best... Definitely re-testing after my 91 day wait period

exNavyOffRec

24 yr old CTN2(IDW)
3 yrs Active Duty
LORs: O5 (Ret), GS-12/DP1 (Ret), HMC (family-friend), ITC (family-friend), 2x GS-13's
(2) NAM (1) FLOC
BJOQ '14 BJOY '14

Applying for IW/IP/Intel

I know my OAR isn't competitive compared to other applicants... But one could only hope now for the best... Definitely re-testing after my 91 day wait period

no reason to retest, an OAR a few points higher isn't going to make a difference, IDC is interested in tech degree, high GPA, and you have a wildcard since you are in an IDC rate!

FYI, Rufio put out Intel is closed.

Manzo

Amicmanzo
no reason to retest, an OAR a few points higher isn't going to make a difference, IDC is interested in tech degree, high GPA, and you have a wildcard since you are in an IDC rate!

FYI, Rufio put out Intel is closed.

Thanks for the "wildcard" comment! Gives the slightest bit of hope still. Time to cross my fingers

Tgalvin30

1390 applicant:

ASTB scores- 50 4/4/3 (First Try)
57 5/5/6 (Second Try)
GPA was a 3.2 degree in Business Admin
4 years college lacrosse
1 Hour of flight time

If no negative factors are involved are my scores still competitive? Should I consider retaking and increasing my flight hours?

exNavyOffRec

1390 applicant:

ASTB scores- 50 4/4/3 (First Try)
57 5/5/6 (Second Try)
GPA was a 3.2 degree in Business Admin
4 years college lacrosse
1 Hour of flight time

If no negative factors are involved are my scores still competitive? Should I consider retaking and increasing my flight hours?

depending on when you tested a board will come up before you can retest, so go for it, flight hours really don't matter, you can be an instructor but if you have bad scores you won't be selected, so you need to keep studying and get ready for a retest.

jbalesi

"Poop Dick"
None
24 yr old CTN2(IDW)
3 yrs Active Duty
(2) NAM (1) FLOC
BJOQ '14 BJOY '14

Applying for IW/IP/Intel

Ever consider going NFO? I was a prior ET3 and was accepted with: University of Tennessee, degree in Sociology and a minor in French language, GPA of 2.73. My ASTB scores were 5/6/6 49.

It's a little bit easier to get into NFO than IDC from what I've seen, and, you could always transfer later if you didn't like it. Though the school is 2 years long and has a high attrition rate.

And, try getting more appraisals and LORs from high ranking officers. Do whatever you can to pull off some O6's!

jay_navy

I do not have "Strong evals" from my Gung-Ho NECC reserve unit as I tend to miss unit wide events and a mobilization while I was attending full time college. However, I will try to make up for this by having a competitive ASTB score. With that being said, do reserve evals carry a significant weight over GPA and ASTB score? Do selection boards give more attention to active duty evals?

Thanks.

exNavyOffRec

I do not have "Strong evals" from my Gung-Ho NECC reserve unit as I tend to miss unit wide events and a mobilization while I was attending full time college. However, I will try to make up for this by having a competitive ASTB score. With that being said, do reserve evals carry a significant weight over GPA and ASTB score? Do selection boards give more attention to active duty evals?

Thanks.

If you have MP's and good ASTB scores you should be ok