• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Officer Dynamics in a Flying Squadron

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ohh we do that. We did a Hail and Farewell (Mostly Hail) recently [O's invited only] and got ourselves ripped a new one from several O-5's on down to E-3's. Maybe this is a unit cultural thing, but I've had trouble wrapping my head around how to deal with it

Why? Same reason?

croakerfish

pilot
Ohh we do that. We did a Hail and Farewell (Mostly Hail) recently [O's invited only] and got ourselves ripped a new one from several O-5's on down to E-3's. Maybe this is a unit cultural thing, but I've had trouble wrapping my head around how to deal with it

Why would they want to hang out with officers anyway? I think feeling like you need to mind your P's and Q's around your superiors is a universal thing so it's not like they'd feel super relaxed anyway, I'd imagine.

jtmedli

pilot
We're Officers. It's not our jobs to pal around with enlisted and skirt the lines of frat so as not to hurt someone's feelings about "not getting invited" to the O-club party or whatever the hell it is. Ultimately we sign off on these guy's Evals and, in turn, 'collective fates'. The separation is there for a reason.

ZomboNation

Why? Same reason?

Yup, same reason. Upon further reflection, most of the O's in the unit were prior E, so I think they feel beholden to that crowd still....?

The reason I've been told about why we hang out with the E's is because they are "Part of the Crew"

Divisive is a word I keep hearing...

81montedriver

pilot
As a fellow Herk driver (USMC), my experiences tend to be similar to the majority. We have a real unique perspective as well as benefit that our platform relies aircrew that are both officers and enlisted. Due to that, I've built very good relationships with numerous enlisted aircrew over the years. When we have formal events in the squadrons, we typically keep it limited to O's i.e. holiday parties, K-courts, and hail and bails. On the road is a different story. My approach may differ from others, but I never felt like I had to force the enlisted aircrew to come hang out w/ us O's. Once the aircraft was put to bed and we got to billeting, I'd always offer to the enlisted guys that they were welcome to come join us O's in dinner and boozing. Interestingly enough, it comes out to a 50/50 split on whether the guys would join us or not. Sometimes, you would get a group of enlisted that were bros that would join you and have fun. While other times, they just wanted to get away and have fun on their own. Neither is wrong but at least the offer was out there.

robav8r

None
Contributor
Our hail and bails are E7 and up.
Why? Do the Officers go through CPO initiation, oops, I mean "training" ??? Do the CPO's hold the same level of trust and accountability as commissioned officers ??? I didn't think so. Until we all wear the same uniform, have the same responsibilities and level of trust & accountability, everyone stay out of other peoples chili !!!

And . . . in the end, Navy regulations are your friend with this issue.

ZomboNation

And . . . in the end, Navy regulations are your friend with this issue.

Yes, Yes they are.

Montedriver....you hit it on the head
On the road is a different story.
I think that's great on the road. Now I'm trying to figure out how to balance that back at home, and hopefully start the rumblings of some culture change...Or maybe I should just give up, I'll just get crucified if I rock the boat

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
WTF is this? Squadron barbeques are for socializing (appropriately) with the troops, dining ins/outs and hail and farewells are for Os only. The chiefs do their own social stuff, and I don't go drinking with the boys from the shop, although I have been known to buy 'em a round if we happen to cross paths out in town, especially while on det. It's an arrangement everyone can live with and nobody "feels bad" about.

This concept of Os getting crushed for not "including" the Es is completely foreign and incomprehensible to me. I must either conclude the fleet has gotten a lot worse in the past year or... Air Force.

jtmedli

pilot
WTF is this? Squadron barbeques are for socializing (appropriately) with the troops, dining ins/outs and hail and farewells are for Os only. The chiefs do their own social stuff, and I don't go drinking with the boys from the shop, although I have been known to buy 'em a round if we happen to cross paths out in town, especially while on det. It's an arrangement everyone can live with and nobody "feels bad" about.

This concept of Os getting crushed for not "including" the Es is completely foreign and incomprehensible to me. I must either conclude the fleet has gotten a lot worse in the past year or... Air Force.

Exactly. And that's how it should be.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
On the SWO side, we had no issues with officers doing their own thing. E-6 and below had their fun together and chiefs for the most part stayed in their own box too. No hurt feelings for anyone. Hail and farewells were all officer only except while I was in college, and even then it was only officer candidates and officers. I think the Air Force needs some sensitity training on how not to be so sensitive.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Seems like in the Air Force culture, an E9 and an O6 are equivalent. It's worth remembering that these guys are just doing what's normal within their service culture, but it should not be tolerated. Stun them first with a "shipmate," then politely put them back in their place.

You want culture shock, go from a P-3 flight station to V-1 Divo in the span of 2-3 months. Identity crisis! I once literally had an E-4 injure himself jumping up too fast from "my" computer onboard at the mere sight of a khaki walking in. On the other hand his counterpart E-4 FE had no problem rolling his eyes and sighing at any non-essential task requiring the natops manual during flight.