• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Waiver Chances for genital herpes with Valacyclovir prescription

topgun1066

Merry Christmas!

To all of those who might have some insight I have the following question: what are the chances I'll get a waiver and be picked up for SNA or NFO with genital herpes given that I have a prescription for Valacyclovir that controls the condition.

I noted the NAMI Waiver Guide indicates Valacyclovir is considered disqualifying. Does this mean that I need to get a waiver to be allowed to take it? Or if I show them that I can do without the medication I can go Navy Air? Or they won't take me in the Navy if I have herpes. Period. I basically want to figure out if my goal of becoming a Naval Aviator is going to be shot down or if I still have a realistic chance.

Some background to inform your comments:
The herpes are pretty much completely suppressed by the medication. I have no side effects from the meds.
I'm a senior with a 3.9 GPA in a technical field with a strong resume of leadership roles.
I had LASIK and am 20/25 and 20/20 in my left and right eyes, respectively.
Working on my PPL with the eventual goal of attaining an IFR rating.
Haven't taken the ASTB yet, but I've historically been a pretty good test taker and am studying hard for it. My goal is at least 60 7/7/7.

I was not accepted into ROTC or the Academy in my senior year of high school. And honestly it was because I was only average. When I was denied I knew I would try again for OCS, and now three and a half years later, with a much improved resume, I'm ready to give it a shot. I just hope the herpes and medication won't shut me out of the Navy.

All right, let's do this! Bring on the dirty dick comments!

exNavyOffRec

ok, this has to be the greatest Christmas post ever, I mean who doesn't like to read a post about genital herpes on Christmas!

I myself have had a person with the same condition as you picked up, the medication part concerning the specific medication I can't answer and your best bet is to submit documents to your OR for screening at MEPS and go from there.

CAMike

None
Contributor
Not to worry. You'll be a "shoe in".

Ok, the token SWO will give it a shot. Possible future call signs - Lumpy or Phister.

Last edited:

topgun1066

I myself have had a person with the same condition as you picked up, the medication part concerning the specific medication I can't answer and your best bet is to submit documents to your OR for screening at MEPS and go from there.

Thank you for the help. That's what I'll do.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
:)
Merry Christmas!
And also to you Sir (belated though it may be)!:)
All right, let's do this! Bring on the dirty dick comments!
Kudos to you topgun1066, for having the balls, er, guts to be straight with as to your problem. The last dude seeking enlightenment on waiver possibilities for GH, stated "I'm inquiring for a friend!" Oooops... the resulting thread was deliciously interesting and humorous, but did not end well for the 'good friend', who subsequently fled to a galaxy far away... an epic "AW Dogpile!":eek:
Grrrrrrrrrrr........   Go Fresno!.jpg
BzB

CAMike

None
Contributor
:)
And also to you Sir (belated though it may be)!:)

Kudos to you topgun1066, for having the balls, er, guts to be straight with as to your problem. The last dude seeking enlightenment on waiver possibilities for GH, stated "I'm inquiring for a friend!" Oooops... the resulting thread was deliciously interesting and humorous, but did not end well for the 'good friend', who subsequently fled to a galaxy far away... an epic "AW Dogpile!":eek:
View attachment 14260
BzB

Glad to see you back on line Hugh. I remember that thread. Classic AW Dogpile and deservedly so.

Since we're on the topic of "The Unusual" and I saw your Fresno State Bull Dog I thought I'd take this opportunity to thread jack for a moment. Check out this FS Student that was caught with his pants down. Dam Cattle Wrestlers! No telling' what kind of critters he acquired during that event. Make sure to watch the embedded news video. Happy New Year!

http://www.kmph-kfre.com/story/27383107/fresno-state-student-arrested-for-having-sex-with-sheep