• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Plane nerd F/A-18 question

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My RAG class had the back beat bombers whom ended up getting FNAEB'd. Come to find out the latest Rhino software doesn't allow for dumb bombs to be released from the back seat. However, they didn't know that, some passes were really weird, lies were told in the debrief... Bad days were had by all.
Over a century of Naval Aviation, and students are still finding new ways to end their careers in cosmically stupid and pointless fashions. I still can't wrap my head around how they didn't realize they were flying a jet with . . . umm . . . RECORDING DEVICES installed? At least the dual-stud T-45 solo caper had some element of sneakiness to it.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Over a century of Naval Aviation, and students are still finding new ways to end their careers in cosmically stupid and pointless fashions. I still can't wrap my head around how they didn't realize they were flying a jet with . . . umm . . . RECORDING DEVICES installed? At least the dual-stud T-45 solo caper had some element of sneakiness to it.

lol I had forgotten about that one......though one I'm sure that has been repeated several times in naval aviation history....

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Wait so in the AF your WSOs can release ordnance?
I could release everything from the backnseat of the S-3A. The pilot had a master arm. I don't know how the Bs handled the forward firing Harpoon and SLAM. I am guessing it was the same way.

ryan1234

Wait so in the AF your WSOs can release ordnance?

Correct. From what I've heard, there may have been a couple times in combat where the front seater was not yet familiar with the smart weapons and it needed to be dropped at that specific time in a LAR or what not...or a fini flight here or there. It's obviously not a regular occurrence. I haven't heard of anyone getting FEB'd over it, but who knows. There have been a few other times where the pilot G-locked, and the WSO recovered... not regular, but happens from time to time.

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor

Can someone give a little more detail on the back seat dropping shenanigans? Pulling the trigger / pressing the pickle (no idea how backseat HOTAS works) and then denying it?

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Can someone give a little more detail on the back seat dropping shenanigans? Pulling the trigger / pressing the pickle (no idea how backseat HOTAS works) and then denying it?
Basically.

They were told by an IP not to do it before they walked on the flight. Turned the volume down in the debrief, say they didn't drop because they thought they were high on altitude (didn't read/know their Z diagram??)

Later on IP is reviewing flights for the gradesheet with the volume up, catches an interesting conversation- pulls the flight crew in, they deny it, then the tapes roll. Shit show ensues.

Actually for a while a witch hunt ensued. They were even bringing us Charlie guys in briefing rooms to ask questions. (Typical answers included: I'm a Charlie dude, I know absolutely nothing about the employment tactics and techniques of dumb bombs in the F, and how it pertains to WSOs)

Last edited: