• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Correspondence Course Review

RHINOWSO

"Yeah, we are going to need to see that one again"
None
Any updates on the NETC courses? I missed the message but thankfully already had 28pts for this year, so I only need 7 more plus the 15 freebees to finish out year 19 (May anniversary). I did three more courses on NETC which would give me another 9 pts using the new 1pt per 4 hrs instead of the listed points on the NETC pages to be sure, assuming they approve NETC courses again.

After that, only 35 more points to go... ;)

For what it's worth, my ARPR/ASOSH on BOL updated (somewhat) on Saturday. They credited a few of the courses that I did in September, but not all of them.

Sam I am

Average looking, not a farmer.
pilot
Contributor
Status Update: Nothing Really New

I spoke with IRR counselor yesterday who referred me to PERS-912 for additional information. A couple of interesting facts from my conversation:
  1. All the points I submitted from NETC Courses (117 pts) last year are in the system in that they are all accounted for, but PERS hasn't closed out the year yet so I haven't received my 15 participation points. I am relieved that the system is working. I overshot my point total by 2, but...oh well.
  2. Generally speaking, all the policy movement regarding course points was initiated by COMNAVRESFORCOM. Obviously, they didn't put a lot of thought into the ramifications of their actions, (or maybe they very carefully calculated the ramifications... if they did they're taking a very adversarial and vindictive stance towards IRR Members). Reading between the lines, PERS and NETC were not involved in any discussions. Additionally, when everyone lost the ability to see their own ARPR/ASOSH it placed a huge burden on the IRR Counselor and PERS-912 point clerks. There are over 30,000 IRR (and Retirees? NOt sure how they play here) that now have to go through IRR Counselor and three PERS 912 point clerks to get current updates on points...they're overwhelmed...according to my source.
  3. The POC I talked to said the NETC courses are in play, but that nothing official has been passed down. They have no insight as to a timeline. I was advised not to do any NETC courses for points until some type of guidance comes out regarding them, because right now, they won't count them and when they do, there will be a date associated with what counts and when it counts: which is to say, they won't count anything between the sundown date that went into affect when the message came out and when the new sunrise message hits the street. They couldn't say whether that really meant courses completed in between those dates or courses submitted between those dates. Thus my strategy of completing courses in the interim and then submitting them once the message hits the street might likely be a waste of time and points. BUT, that's me reading tea leaves and assuming based on what I've compiled here and through phone conversations.
  4. I tried to contact NETC yesterday regarding the courses and the person I needed to speak with was not available. I will try again this afternoon and update with that conversation when I can.
There ya go...clear as mud. Here's a link to the NPC Point FAQ's regarding correspondence courses. The text in the link alludes to the fact that there was coordination between PERS and COMNAVRESFORCOM...which may be true. But reality indicates otherwise or at least that fact hasn't trickled down yet.

http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/career/reservepersonnelmgmt/Pages/PointsFAQ.aspx

Last edited:

I spoke with IRR counselor yesterday who referred me to PERS-912 for additional information. A couple of interesting facts from my conversation:
  1. All the points I submitted from NETC Courses (117 pts) last year are in the system in that they are all accounted for, but PERS hasn't closed out the year yet so I haven't received my 15 participation points. I am relieved that the system is working. I overshot my point total by 2, but...oh well.
  2. Generally speaking, all the policy movement regarding course points was initiated by COMNAVRESFORCOM. Obviously, they didn't put a lot of thought into the ramifications of their actions, (or maybe they very carefully calculated the ramifications... if they did they're taking a very adversarial and vindictive stance towards IRR Members). Reading between the lines, PERS and NETC were not involved in any discussions. Additionally, when everyone lost the ability to see their own ARPR/ASOSH it placed a huge burden on the IRR Counselor and PERS-912 point clerks. There are over 30,000 IRR (and Retirees? NOt sure how they play here) that now have to go through IRR Counselor and three PERS 912 point clerks to get current updates on points...they're overwhelmed...according to my source.
  3. The POC I talked to said the NETC courses are in play, but that nothing official has been passed down. They have no insight as to a timeline. I was advised not to do any NETC courses for points until some type of guidance comes out regarding them, because right now, they won't count them and when they do, there will be a date associated with what counts and when it counts: which is to say, they won't count anything between the sundown date that went into affect when the message came out and when the new sunrise message hits the street. They couldn't say whether that really meant courses completed in between those dates or courses submitted between those dates. Thus my strategy of completing courses in the interim and then submitting them once the message hits the street might likely be a waste of time and points. BUT, that's me reading tea leaves and assuming based on what I've compiled here and through phone conversations.
  4. I tried to contact NETC yesterday regarding the courses and the person I needed to speak with was not available. I will try again this afternoon and update with that conversation when I can.
There ya go...clear as mud. Here's a link to the NPC Point FAQ's regarding correspondence courses. The text in the link alludes to the fact that there was coordination between PERS and COMNAVRESFORCOM...which may be true. But reality indicates otherwise or at least that fact hasn't trickled down yet.

http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/career/reservepersonnelmgmt/Pages/PointsFAQ.aspx

Excellent report, thanks for sharing it.

In regards to the 30k IRR folks, I'm sure that the lion's share of that number is folks who are on their MSO after one enlistment. Bear in mind that the enlisted (maybe officer too) minimum Military Service Obligation is eight years, regardless of how long their active duty or SELRES hitch runs. The remainder is played out in the IRR. I'd wager that 99% of the folks in that category don't do courses, virtual muster, or anything. Most of them forget that they're actually in the Reserves a few months after getting "out." I think that the retiree piece that they mentioned involved keeping PERS-912 updated with address changes; and also IIRC you can actually still earn correspondence course points as a gray area retiree. Either way, it still sounds like a lot of work for three personnel at PERS to track all those folks' records.

The news about the NRTC sucks. I myself will be between a rock and a hard place because I enrolled in a lot of intense courses last year, with the intention of finishing this {anniversary} year. But NETC only allows you to be enrolled in a course for one year --- so if it's not resolved soon, I stand to lose those courses. Fingers crossed for a speedy resolution. I emailed with the AMC at COMNAVRESFOR N7; he's swamped but working diligently to categorize and add the NAVEDTRAs to the approved course listing.

m5h9

Thank you Sam for the detailed info and analysis. FWIW - for the last couple of years, I have submitted my points at the beginning of the Anniversary Year, but they aren't entered into the system until the later part of the year. This is after a couple of re-submits. I didn't get to max out the NETC courses before the sundown date for this year unfortunately.

FYI - the link you provided was uploaded well past the COMNAVRESFOR message. Thanks!

Sam I am

pilot
Contributor
The news about the NRTC sucks. I myself will be between a rock and a hard place because I enrolled in a lot of intense courses last year, with the intention of finishing this {anniversary} year. But NETC only allows you to be enrolled in a course for one year --- so if it's not resolved soon, I stand to lose those courses. Fingers crossed for a speedy resolution. I emailed with the AMC at COMNAVRESFOR N7; he's swamped but working diligently to categorize and add the NAVEDTRAs to the approved course listing.

I was only "advised" not to do the courses, because that particular POC was assuming worst case scenario: they wouldn't count. Nothing specifically says they won't count IF they come back on the table, but right now the only official guidance says they're out, so I personally will go with out...given the atmosphere I kinda think the powers that be aren't going to be real generous. I did sign up for the first 4 History of the Chaplains Corp...which will be close to 50 pts I think. I may complete a couple and sit on them just to see how they're handled if the "sun rises" once again. Glad I signed up for NWC JPME Phase I...at least I have a bonafide point source even though it will be a lot of work.

m5h9, you're correct...that link was a reactive response attempting to look proactive. It was very much past tense.

atmahan

... facility for offence.
shift_DAWG,

In the past, I have called the NRTC Help Desk and asked to drop correspondence courses before I hit the 1 year mark.

A nice lady answered the phone and asked for my social when I explained that I wanted to drop a class. It took about a minute for her to dis-enroll me. Upon a re-logon to NRTC, the course was gone.

All,

Thanks for all the gouge in this thread!

After September 30, 2014, I simply downloaded the PDFs (without enrolling in the courses) and filled out the Assignments for the courses that I planned for my current Anniversary Year (all the NEET courses that give points).

One of my desk drawers is full of my Assignments waiting for the courses to appear on the Approved List. As soon as they appear, I will enroll in the courses and start submitting my assignments.

I am also eyeing some of the already approved courses in case I need some backups.

All this was possible due to you guys!

Sam I am

pilot
Contributor
After September 30, 2014, I simply downloaded the PDFs (without enrolling in the courses) and filled out the Assignments for the courses that I planned for my current Anniversary Year (all the NEET courses that give points).
One of my desk drawers is full of my Assignments waiting for the courses to appear on the Approved List. As soon as they appear, I will enroll in the courses and start submitting my assignments.!

Whoa! That's so...obvious! Why the hell didn't I think of that?! Nice tip. Thanks!

rob00000

Hey everyone, they NO LONGER have a one year limit on NETC courses. They changed it a while ago, actually.

They WILL NOT drop the course from your active courses if you sit on a course for over a year. I am 100% sure of this.

I once called NETC on a course that was approaching a year since my enrollment & I was informed by Fontaine who is pretty knowledgeable over there that there is no longer a one year limit anymore. No worries on the time limit.

Last edited: