• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

VSD/ASD

andrewinchicago

Hi:
There has been a thread about this same situation here before about a year ago, but there was no real answer. Thought I'd try again and see what I could get. The NAMI waiver guide is too confusing on this for me and the person back then to understand.
I have a VSD (ventricular septal defect, or hole between the ventricles) that one of my doctors noted at birth. Was trivial/asymptomatic then but mom had it monitored in abundance of caution. It is now still asymptomatic-- there are no complications and also there is no murmur. A cardiologist looking at a sonogram could not locate the defect and speculated it may have closed naturally. My EKG is normal. Stress test is normal.
Waiverable? Does anyone know?
I'm just going for SWO if that matters (I so wish it would matter...)

TimeBomb

Noise, vibration and harshness
Andrew,
Since you're not anticipating flight status, the NAMI waiver guide does not apply. That only deals with aviation standards. Your situation is covered by DOD instruction 6130.03, which covers physical standards for commissioning. Per that instruction, a "corrected" VSD that shows a current, (within 6 months) normal echocardiogram without residua is not considered disqualifying. If those conditions are met, it isn't disqualifying, so no waiver would be required.

If I were sitting in the medical chair at N3M (who will be reviewing your physical), I'd be looking for a current echo with measurements of all the wall thicknesses and chamber sizes, and medical reports in your commissioning physical package that described the location and severity of the original defect. Fixed is fixed, with or without surgery. Most of these close on their own, like yours appears to have done. If you truly have no residual effects of the VSD, you should be good to go for general commissioning.
R/

exNavyOffRec

If you haven't talked to an OR I would get in contact with one, it is very possible you will have to have medical documents submitted to be reviewed, better to jump on this now then wait and have a 6 month extra wait you weren't counting on.