• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid Questions about Naval Aviation (Part 3)

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
Is that like the Sherlock Holmes of Bahrain fame?
OK, I Googled "James Bond type bar in Hong Kong" since I couldn't remember the name of it...and found out it's the Bottoms Up Club that we visited...and then I Googled "Sherlock Holmes bar in Bahrain" that you mentioned. Yes, they do appear very similar...sort of that British/European atmosphere. I really got a kick out of chugging Carlsberg Beer out of teeny-tiny beer glasses...I know I had all the empties lined up being the anal retentive jack-hole that I am...

mad dog: "Extremely good looking barmaid! Please fetch me another round of 10 Carlsbergs! Please do not disturb my Lego Land ensemble of empty teeny-tiny beer glasses...I must admire my work here! Carry on!"

:D

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
OK, I Googled "James Bond type bar in Hong Kong" since I couldn't remember the name of it...and found out it's the Bottoms Up Club that we visited...and then I Googled "Sherlock Holmes bar in Bahrain" that you mentioned. Yes, they do appear very similar...sort of that British/European atmosphere. I really got a kick out of chugging Carlsberg Beer out of teeny-tiny beer glasses...I know I had all the empties lined up being the anal retentive jack-hole that I am...

mad dog: "Extremely good looking barmaid! Please fetch me another round of 10 Carlsbergs! Please do not disturb my Lego Land ensemble of empty teeny-tiny beer glasses...I must admire my work here! Carry on!"

:D
Shit you must drink a lot of coffee...

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
Shit you must drink a lot of coffee...
Boatloads!

I started drinking coffee when I quit drinkin' al-kee-hall almost 8 years ago.

I need to throttle back on the coffee consumption...maybe next week.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
JJ's is the only bar I need in Manama...you just have to know how to evade the nightly shore patrol rounds. It's risky these days, but worth it.

Reminds me of a time when I was stopped by local paul blart types (albeit in full middle eastern garb) in the parking lot of barasti/bar nasty. Apparently running is against the law in Dubai, and trying to catch up to my friends was no bueno. Had my license scanned, and they said they needed to "in case they found out that I had done anything else". That was the moment that I realized how great the US is, regardless of how much complaining we hear about our legal process. At least we have one.....

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
Just curious, when you are approaching the carrier, how do you get horizontal guidance? I know the ball gives you vertical guidance relative to the glide-slope and you are supposed to fly the ball and avoid looking at the deck, but then how are you aware of your position relative to the centerline?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Lineup is part of your visual scan (meatball, lineup, AOA), so you're not just fixated on the ball during the pass. Looking long for lineup works best and helps avoid deck spotting.

pilot_man

Ex-Rhino driver
pilot
I use T / Ball since I'm flying autos and am way less concerned about AOA since I'm trimmed to onspeed. Your lineup corrections come from Laser lineup and ILS / ACLS before the start and once you get to flying the ball you just have to make sure the T is a T and not some sort of leaning T. That's what looking long for lineup means. Actually I just put the VV in the crotch and work it towards the LA very slowly as I am spotting the deck.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Laser lineup is nice to have, if for no other reason than to back yourself up. That said, I usually find myself trying to remember what red v. yellow means, and using ILS as a "refresher".

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Laser lineup is nice to have, if for no other reason than to back yourself up. That said, I usually find myself trying to remember what red v. yellow means, and using ILS as a "refresher".
I always remembered it by the "R-A-G" mneumonic.