• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

kennyshat

Took the ASTB today and scored 48 5 6 4, I am disappointed to say the least. Having experience in aviation both as a mechanic and pilot I was expecting to do better. I have my retest date already scheduled.

Here are the questions I have:
How is the NATFI score calculated. This is the one I got the highest out of three, but I don't know what they want to "hear". These has got to be a method to this? So for all of you who got high in this portion, share the experience.

And the PBM, it was a disaster, got a 4. The joystick and throttle is really portly set up. With inverted Y axis on the joystick, I really see no purpose to it. Anyone know why is that?

Sorry to hear you're disappointed. I was also fairly discouraged when I got my scores. 55/6/8/6 but I was accepted in the July '14 boards and I am meeting with my recruiter today to get the rest of my documentation together.

I have a Bachelor's in English, haven't had a math class in about 6 years (prior to taking the ASTB). I used Barron's and an ASTB study guide I picked up from a bookstore nearby. The test definitely had some things I hadn't found anywhere except in Barron's, so I would suggest looking through that. Know your probabilities, geometry, arithmetic, and I think it's also beneficial to know proportions (questions like A paints 1/10th a house in 20 minutes, B paints 2/5th house in 30 minutes, how long for 3 houses, etc.) I should mention, I felt like I did terribly in the reading section, despite my background. Read those til your eyes bleed and know how to answer.

As for the PBM, I think it's more about responding calmly, not letting the situation drive you, but you driving the situation if that makes sense. Don't really know how to train for it or anything. I'm guessing video games helped me out a bit with that.

speedroller

Rangers
Sorry to hear you're disappointed. I was also fairly discouraged when I got my scores. 55/6/8/6 but I was accepted in the July '14 boards and I am meeting with my recruiter today to get the rest of my documentation together.

I have a Bachelor's in English, haven't had a math class in about 6 years (prior to taking the ASTB). I used Barron's and an ASTB study guide I picked up from a bookstore nearby. The test definitely had some things I hadn't found anywhere except in Barron's, so I would suggest looking through that. Know your probabilities, geometry, arithmetic, and I think it's also beneficial to know proportions (questions like A paints 1/10th a house in 20 minutes, B paints 2/5th house in 30 minutes, how long for 3 houses, etc.) I should mention, I felt like I did terribly in the reading section, despite my background. Read those til your eyes bleed and know how to answer.

As for the PBM, I think it's more about responding calmly, not letting the situation drive you, but you driving the situation if that makes sense. Don't really know how to train for it or anything. I'm guessing video games helped me out a bit with that.
What did you get accepted as?
I'll take it again and will prep better for it now that I know what to except. The PBM section was a cluster at first but I got a hang of it. And I'll pay closer attention to the listening portion, since I think I messed up at that portion, because I was tracking the target pretty good, it was in the green good 50% of the time.

Since you got an 8 on the NATFI, how did you answer the 99 questions? PM me if you like.

Thanks.

MikeMillerUK

Nearing the end of Primary
Contributor
What did you get accepted as?
I'll take it again and will prep better for it now that I know what to except. The PBM section was a cluster at first but I got a hang of it. And I'll pay closer attention to the listening portion, since I think I messed up at that portion, because I was tracking the target pretty good, it was in the green good 50% of the time.

Since you got an 8 on the NATFI, how did you answer the 99 questions? PM me if you like.

Thanks.
I sincerely doubt anyone remembers how they answered all 99 questions. There is almost no way to "game" that section of the test, the questions basically ask are you a dick or an asshole. It's not the individual answers to each question that matter, but how your answers trend over all questions. Just be honest, don't try to tell them what they want to hear, that's not the point of the test.

speedroller

Rangers
I sincerely doubt anyone remembers how they answered all 99 questions. There is almost no way to "game" that section of the test, the questions basically ask are you a dick or an asshole. It's not the individual answers to each question that matter, but how your answers trend over all questions. Just be honest, don't try to tell them what they want to hear, that's not the point of the test.

Yes, I can understand that. And I did answer honestly. But I did notice a pattern, some of the same questions resurfaced towards the end. I just want to score higher. Should I be a selfish dick or someone who helps others by sacrificing his/her performance?

Tasha

Yes, I can understand that. And I did answer honestly. But I did notice a pattern, some of the same questions resurfaced towards the end. I just want to score higher. Should I be a selfish dick or someone who helps others by sacrificing his/her performance?

Honestly answer how you feel. Lol there are times when you have to be a selfih dick.. I hate half ass things. So, I'd probably answer being selfish.

Matthew L Gonzales

Prior Service PR2(AW)
AMDO hopeful here,

I just took the ASTB for the first time. I didn't study as much as I should have and I took the test during finals week. I should have rescheduled, and now I have to wait 90 days to retake. I'll definitely be dedicating an entire month to studying prior to my next (and last attempt for FY 2015 boards). My initial results are as follows:

OAR: 48
AQR: 4
PFAR: 4
FOFAR: 5

I'm told a more competitive score for AMDO would be somewhere above 50. I currently hold a 3.4 GPA and am majoring in aeronautical science. I thought my academic background would have helped to prepare me better (and I certainly feel like the science and math heavy coursework helped to save me from the embarrassment of not studying as much as I should have), but I think by preparing better for the next attempt will increase my score substantially. The problem is that I'm told there is no solid study gouge for the new ASTB. I'm not sure if I'll be retaking the entire exam again, or if I'll be taking the OAR portion only.

Any advice for study gouge regarding the new system? I really want to knock it out of the park next time and have a competitive score. Next test attempt will be on or around March, 19 2015.

exNavyOffRec

AMDO hopeful here,

I just took the ASTB for the first time. I didn't study as much as I should have and I took the test during finals week. I should have rescheduled, and now I have to wait 90 days to retake. I'll definitely be dedicating an entire month to studying prior to my next (and last attempt for FY 2015 boards). My initial results are as follows:

OAR: 48
AQR: 4
PFAR: 4
FOFAR: 5

I'm told a more competitive score for AMDO would be somewhere above 50. I currently hold a 3.4 GPA and am majoring in aeronautical science. I thought my academic background would have helped to prepare me better (and I certainly feel like the science and math heavy coursework helped to save me from the embarrassment of not studying as much as I should have), but I think by preparing better for the next attempt will increase my score substantially. The problem is that I'm told there is no solid study gouge for the new ASTB. I'm not sure if I'll be retaking the entire exam again, or if I'll be taking the OAR portion only.

Any advice for study gouge regarding the new system? I really want to knock it out of the park next time and have a competitive score. Next test attempt will be on or around March, 19 2015.

If you are applying for AMDO you would need to submit very soon as the board is in Feb.

LOT115

Very grateful for all the info on this site.
I signed up to take the ASTB last week, but upon arrival the system did not work! After more than an hour we gave up and decided to reschedule. I heard this was common with the new ASTB. Anyways, now I am very stressed about taking it! Any tips on how to get rid of my nerves? I felt ready to take it at the time but now I suppose I am second guessing myself. Help? Thanks in advance and Merry Christmas!!

hrtrice

Pro-Rec Y SWO
Hey all, I just wanted to put up my scores, see what people think my chances are of getting picked up for SWO. I'm just sitting here twiddling my thumbs waiting for that February board, so I'm trying to offset the waiting nerves.

ASTB: 70/8/8/8
GPA: 3.84
Major: Psychology

Gillie1985

SWO? I'm sure they will offer you Nuke Officer with those scores :). Bravo Zulu on the great score, I'm sure they will pick you up with those scores and G.P.A. Just make sure you got all your ducks lined up. Now is there anything on the test that we future test takers should know about? I take mine on the 13 of next month and I'm hoping I can score as high as you. Once again great job on the test.

Gillie1985

Qualifications for SWO

GPA: 3.37 or higher
OAR: 54 or higher
AQR: N/A
PFAR: N/A
FOFAR: N/A
Major: Any (technical majors tend to stand out.)

From this information your more than good for SWO. Once again great job.

THEanimal

Hey everyone,

I've been prowling the forums for a while now, trying to gather as much information as possible and figured I'd finally join the conversations. I took my ASTB a few weeks ago with a 51 5/5/5. Not too happy with it, I know I made a few mistakes in studying and nerves brought it down, but with my prior service in the Corps and the total kit I've put together I'm hoping for the best for the upcoming NFO board in February. I'm going to submit and if not selected, I'll retest asap and push that up. Just wanted a little bit of feedback on what other's have seen as competitive lately for selection.

Prior service Marine (E-5) with just over 6 yrs in
F-18/D powerplants and fuel systems background (I was an AD equivalent in the Navy)
Spotless OMPF with 3 letters of commendation/appreciation and various tour awards that come along with being in the military..
3.15 GPA right now with two classes to wrap up in March for graduation (projected 3.3) in Criminal Justice
ASTB 51 5/5/5
Pushing for NFO/SNA/Intel
LOR's from my current employer, a reservist USMC LtCol/DSS Special Agent, and DoJ Special Agent

Also, these boards are a wealth of information that cannot be found elsewhere on the internet for us applicants and curious lookers so thank you to everyone here.

THEanimal

Very grateful for all the info on this site.
I signed up to take the ASTB last week, but upon arrival the system did not work! After more than an hour we gave up and decided to reschedule. I heard this was common with the new ASTB. Anyways, now I am very stressed about taking it! Any tips on how to get rid of my nerves? I felt ready to take it at the time but now I suppose I am second guessing myself. Help? Thanks in advance and Merry Christmas!!

I took mine about 2.5 weeks ago. All I can say is know what you are weak at (math, mechanical comprehension etc) and study it with what is provided here. There are also websites to take practice ASTB's, I used learningexpresshub . com.

My biggest downfall was that I studied what my OR gave me- which still had the plane banking materials and not the new UAV- so I came into that completely blindsided. I also did not totally understand the instructions for the left/right listening portion. Take your time and make sure you know what is ahead of you- I made the grave mistake of not burying myself into this forum and reading all of the updated info. Do that and you're golden. Good luck

LOT115

I took mine about 2.5 weeks ago. All I can say is know what you are weak at (math, mechanical comprehension etc) and study it with what is provided here. There are also websites to take practice ASTB's, I used learningexpresshub . com.

My biggest downfall was that I studied what my OR gave me- which still had the plane banking materials and not the new UAV- so I came into that completely blindsided. I also did not totally understand the instructions for the left/right listening portion. Take your time and make sure you know what is ahead of you- I made the grave mistake of not burying myself into this forum and reading all of the updated info. Do that and you're golden. Good luck
Thanks! Just looking forward to taking it- hoping next time I'm able to test. I've been studying a lot so hopefully I will be good.