• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

So...I heard a rumor

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
I commissioned with a little over 9 years service. To spare you the math, I'll be retirement eligible right around my first look at O-4...I always assumed I would be ineligible to apply for anything reserve related, especially FTS.

However, there is an O-5 here at the SAU who told me that's not true, and that I would be eligible to apply FTS no matter how many years I had prior service.

I don't believe it...am I wrong?

subreservist

Leaving out the math is leaving out too much inofrmation for anyone to give you a truly good answer. FTS has a website that's fairly easy to navigate and can give you the straight up answer. It all depends on what the needs are and what year group they are looking for. You also have to not exceed a certain amount of time to ensure eligibility to retire with an active pension. The years of prior service doesn't matter per se, but generally FTS communities look for a certain YG and that group slides to the right each year. Plus, as expected, it is highly competiitive with both active and reserve applying for spots.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
SELRES is out because you'll be past 18 years. FTS should be doable but like sub said, it's really just dependent on the community you are going in to (VFA/HM/whatever). The only limit on FTS as an officer when applying is amount of time of commissioned service and the eligibility matrix that is put out for each board.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Thanks guys.

Math: I joined in 2002...hit 20 in 2022. I commissioned in 2011, and winged in 2014...on my exact 12 year anniversary. I have an 8 year commitment, but that doesn't really matter. I will probably look at O-4 in 2020, even if I FOS I'll be within the 18 month retirement eligibility window.

The only reason I'd apply for FTS would be to make O-4, but I always thought I would be ineligible to apply.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Thanks guys.

Math: I joined in 2002...hit 20 in 2022. I commissioned in 2011, and winged in 2014...on my exact 12 year anniversary. I have an 8 year commitment, but that doesn't really matter. I will probably look at O-4 in 2020, even if I FOS I'll be within the 18 month retirement eligibility window.

The only reason I'd apply for FTS would be to make O-4, but I always thought I would be ineligible to apply.

I wouldn't stress too much about that at the moment. Work hard in your JO tour, be a contributing member to the ready room, and with a little bit of luck and timing, you should walk from a single seat VFA squadron with at least decently competitive paper. I honestly have known almost nobody who was a 2xFOS for LCDR in this community (I'm not even sure if I know any 1xFOS guys off the top of my head). I do know a lot of folks who turned it down and walked. Some may disagree, some may have seen something completely different so take it as one guy's perspective who hasn't been around as long as some others, but it is what I have seen.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

I don't have anything to cite to back this up, but I want to say this is a fairly new reality. Again, I may be remembering wrong, but I think in the past, years of service was a consideration. At the end of the day, though, it only matters what "your" particular board criteria as delineated in the message/PERS site. And they do change often.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
This is all I could find...it seems like prior service would be a non-issue because all they are trying to do is make sure that you can actually get to 20.

AC or SELRES applicants (especially SELRES LCDRs) should have no more than a 4-year break in active commissioned service. ADSW/ADT/AT and prior enlisted active duty may be used to offset breaks in active commissioned service. This is a “worst-case” scenario precaution meant to avoid bringing SELRES officers into the FTS program that may be forced out of the naval service due to continuation policies and law before accumulating enough active duty time to be eligible for a regular retirement. For SELRES LCDRs, this precaution is to ensure the greatest possible chance of completing 20 years of active duty service within 24 years of commissioned service. Officers who cannot attain 20 years of active service by age 62 are not eligible to apply. Exceptions to this policy may be approved by the FTS Officer Community Manager (FTS OCM) on a case-by-case basis based upon community manning levels and a thorough understanding by the applicant about potential career and retirement ramifications should that applicant choose to pursue this course of action.

@MIDNJAC ...I hear what you're throwing down. I'm just researching a little...the wife has been doing the Navy thing for 12 years now and she's ready to start looking down the road and get set up somewhere stable and settle down a little. I have no intention of "treading water" through my next tour...I'm just not sure the DH life is going to be the one for me. I'm gonna play that pretty close to the chest though...no reason to burn any bridges before they even get built.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
This is all I could find...it seems like prior service would be a non-issue because all they are trying to do is make sure that you can actually get to 20.

AC or SELRES applicants (especially SELRES LCDRs) should have no more than a 4-year break in active commissioned service. ADSW/ADT/AT and prior enlisted active duty may be used to offset breaks in active commissioned service. This is a “worst-case” scenario precaution meant to avoid bringing SELRES officers into the FTS program that may be forced out of the naval service due to continuation policies and law before accumulating enough active duty time to be eligible for a regular retirement. For SELRES LCDRs, this precaution is to ensure the greatest possible chance of completing 20 years of active duty service within 24 years of commissioned service. Officers who cannot attain 20 years of active service by age 62 are not eligible to apply. Exceptions to this policy may be approved by the FTS Officer Community Manager (FTS OCM) on a case-by-case basis based upon community manning levels and a thorough understanding by the applicant about potential career and retirement ramifications should that applicant choose to pursue this course of action.

This is mainly to limit SELRES from coming in and screwing the FTS community because they have to end up getting out soon.