• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

T-6B (Glass Cockpit) Texan II PC Flight Simulator?

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
I understand, I've got time in both of those types of sim of for the T-6A/B. I'm just curious about the availability of simulator-type assets for current primary students to practice. The PC-based sims I mentioned earlier were dedicated to walk-in student practice, and not used for graded events. It avoided a lot of the hassle of using the "actual" simulator assets, which weren't always available, and had to be set up through central skeds.

Chris_USMC

Ah. Well you can always profsit in a UTD/OFT, but obviously it depends on the schedule for graded events. There's nothing dedicated to non-graded practice except for the static sims and the FMS trainers.

Chris_USMC

Essentially if you want to PROFSIT, you just write your name in the blank spaces after they post the schedules (around 1500-1530 here in Corpus). So you don't have to deal with the hassle of actually scheduling anything; it's just first-come, first serve. It can be cutthroat, and some guys get butthurt about it, but if you care that much about training and learning, you will be lined up waiting at 1500 instead of complaining the next day about how all the PROFSIT slots have been taken.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
When I was there, and in Meridian, there were touch screen computer monitors that you could use for system setup training. There was no stick and throttle attached but you could work through menus, setup approaches, and work the FMS at 1g before you got in the cockpit.

Maybe they're not there anymore.

heynowlookout

pilot
Contributor
I understand, I've got time in both of those types of sim of for the T-6A/B. I'm just curious about the availability of simulator-type assets for current primary students to practice. The PC-based sims I mentioned earlier were dedicated to walk-in student practice, and not used for graded events. It avoided a lot of the hassle of using the "actual" simulator assets, which weren't always available, and had to be set up through central skeds.

No, there is not a T-6B equivalent to the Microsim(think that's what they were called) that we had for the -34 back in the day.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
No, there is not a T-6B equivalent to the Microsim(think that's what they were called) that we had for the -34 back in the day.

I think they either were going away or already gone (I can't remember) when I started instructing in 2005. As a student, I'd see some guys using them, but they seemed to be available more than not. I know the impedes from which they came (thanks Navy Times!), but I don't think they turned out to be as valuable as the Navy had hoped.

MGoBrew11

pilot
Essentially if you want to PROFSIT, you just write your name in the blank spaces after they post the schedules (around 1500-1530 here in Corpus). So you don't have to deal with the hassle of actually scheduling anything; it's just first-come, first serve. It can be cutthroat, and some guys get butthurt about it, but if you care that much about training and learning, you will be lined up waiting at 1500 instead of complaining the next day about how all the PROFSIT slots have been taken.

To be fair when I went through there a year ago they had some major issues with studs who were waiting to class up for 4 months taking all the profsits slots. Of course they were willing and able to line up at 1500 to get a spot. Dudes that were flying and might actually need a little practice were, well, flying when the schedule came out. Have they fixed that issue? It was something several of us brought up in exit interviews.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
WTF is a profsit?
When a sim is not in use, a pair of students can sign up to use it without an instructor.

To be fair when I went through there a year ago they had some major issues with studs who were waiting to class up for 4 months taking all the profsits slots. Of course they were willing and able to line up at 1500 to get a spot. Dudes that were flying and might actually need a little practice were, well, flying when the schedule came out. Have they fixed that issue? It was something several of us brought up in exit interviews.
In -28, they introduced a pecking order; students in RI phase had first priority, then BI phase, and lastly CPT phase. Not sure if that's still in effect. Not ideal, because RI students could just come in last minute and bump some BI students from their profsit.
But seriously, people who didn't class up for another four months wanted to profsit? Talk about motivated.

MGoBrew11

pilot
When a sim is not in use, a pair of students can sign up to use it without an instructor.

In -28, they introduced a pecking order; students in RI phase had first priority, then BI phase, and lastly CPT phase. Not sure if that's still in effect. Not ideal, because RI students could just come in last minute and bump some BI students from their profsit.
But seriously, people who didn't class up for another four months wanted to profsit? Talk about motivated.

Yeah but that was 34 sims. I was a vt27 t6 guy.

Motivated? Nah, blue falconry more like it.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
To be fair when I went through there a year ago they had some major issues with studs who were waiting to class up for 4 months taking all the profsits slots. Of course they were willing and able to line up at 1500 to get a spot. Dudes that were flying and might actually need a little practice were, well, flying when the schedule came out. Have they fixed that issue?.

No.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor

Oh. How long have they been called that? My entire career I've only heard them called what really makes sense- a practice sim.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
Oh. How long have they been called that? My entire career I've only heard them called what really makes sense- a practice sim.
As long as I've been there, so at least since November 2013. It stands for Professional...something, I can't remember.