• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid Questions about Naval Aviation (Part 3)

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
So I did some Googling, and apparently the notion that lift is generated by air flowing faster over the top of the wing and thus creating lower pressure that way is a misconception: http://www.cam.ac.uk/research/news/how-wings-really-work
Well, the basics are the same: airflow over the top of the wing is faster than that below the wing, which causes the pressure differential which generates lift. But yes, "equal transit time" is a fallacy. Still kind of above and beyond what pilots need to know, practically speaking. Push yoke forward, houses get bigger. Pull yoke back, houses get smaller. And then eventually bigger again.

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
Son of a bitch...this new guy just used the mother of all "search" functions to prove all of Air Warriors wrong about the most basic principle of flight. I'm pretty sure the world is about to end due to it's inability to contain this sheer, unbelievable irony.

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
Mad Dog - you have lost it man. :)
No way!

Not me!

You must be referring to Cougar...

Stinger: Don't screw around with me, Maverick. You're one hell of an instinctive pilot. Maybe too good. I'd like to bust your butt but I can't. I got another problem here. I gotta send somebody from this squadron to Miramar. I gotta do something here, I still can't believe it. I gotta give you your dream shot! I'm gonna send you up against the best. You two characters are going to Top Gun. For five weeks, you'll be flying against the best fighter pilots in the world. You were number two, Cougar was number one. Cougar lost it—turned in his wings. You guys are number one. But you remember one thing: if you screw up just this [pinches fingers for emphasis] much, you'll be flying a cargo plane full of rubber dog shit out of Hong Kong!

Maverick: Yes sir!

:D

Sonog

pilot
Meh, I disagree. I still think the reason airplanes fly is "mostly magic."

And I have no fucking idea why helicopters fly.

I honestly feel like magneto or some superhero every time I get in the helo. Fucking magic super powers man.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
...if you screw up just this [pinches fingers for emphasis] much, you'll be flying a cargo plane full of rubber dog shit out of Hong Kong!

Poor bastard...

c2_15.jpg

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
Hong Kong now is apparently like Wall Street in the 80s. But I'm guessing Hong Kong in the 80s was... well.. Hong Kong in the 80s.

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
Hong Kong now is apparently like Wall Street in the 80s. But I'm guessing Hong Kong in the 80s was... well... Hong Kong in the 80s.
During my first long cruise aboard the USS Vincennes, we pulled into Hong Kong in late 1989. What a freaking party...we went to some bar called the 007 Bar or the James Bond Bar or something like that where super-hot waitresses in James Bond themed outfits served us Carlsberg Beer in teeny-tiny glasses. I think I had something like 127 of those teeny-tiny glasses...COMMENCE THE WEARING OF THE BIG BEER GOGGLES! Then we met these super-hot Greek girls (twins) that were there on 'Holiday'. They were really nice to us even when they found out we were rotor heads! They allowed us to hang out with them for 3 days! There were all sorts of super models from Demnark, Norway, Sweden and Finland walking around Hong Kong and hanging out in bars. They would not talk to us when they found out we were rotor heads! That sort of upset me...so I ran to the top of Victoria Peak hungover a few times. In sum, I enjoyed Hong Kong very much in the late 1980's...even though I didn't score.

Last edited: