• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Military Medical Counts for FAA

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
The most recent post on the Mil-Comp CFI prompted me to look and I wanted to start a new thread so it didn't get buried in the CFI thread.

It looks like the most recent change allows us to use our military medical as an equivalent for a 3rd Class Medical.

From Sheppard Air, which seems to be up to date on it.
http://www.sheppardair.com/Answer7.htm

From the actual FAR's
http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/tex...;sid=72764d37a23a8f2f1a36fcb633dfff32;cc=ecfr

I would assume the FAR's will be changed when it becomes active, which appears to be 20 Oct.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
I heard about this last week. I'm happy about it, but 3rd class? Seems like the long form should count as a Class Superludicrous 1.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I wonder if the FAA will give me back my 3rd class medical certificate since they revoked it for issues the military waivered.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Why only 3rd class? Not like I'm going to be flying for hire on the weekends or anything, but if I have a commercial rating, I'd like to be able to operate commercially....

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Revisiting this thread because it's what Google brought me to first...

Has anyone had any contact with a FSDO on what happens if you have a ramp check and don't have a valid medical? The FARs are pretty vague, saying I don't need a medical as long as I can provide proof of a military medical exam, but it doesn't say when I have to do that (on the spot or later after I've been allowed to fly home to get it). Or do I just jam a copy of my upchit in my wallet? I'm about to expire or just expired (I need to check), so I'd prefer not to pay for a medical now when I don't have to and I know I'll need to get one later anyway that's a higher class.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Revisiting this thread because it's what Google brought me to first...

Has anyone had any contact with a FSDO on what happens if you have a ramp check and don't have a valid medical? The FARs are pretty vague, saying I don't need a medical as long as I can provide proof of a military medical exam, but it doesn't say when I have to do that (on the spot or later after I've been allowed to fly home to get it). Or do I just jam a copy of my upchit in my wallet? I'm about to expire or just expired (I need to check), so I'd prefer not to pay for a medical now when I don't have to and I know I'll need to get one later anyway that's a higher class.

Never had direct contact with the FSDO but I just have a copy of my upchit on me.

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
You need to be able to prove it on the spot or else you are going to get a letter and have some splainin' to do. Just carry a copy with your license when you fly. There is nothing worse than working with the FAA to resolve an issue quickly.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Thanks, gents. I guess I'll scale it down a bit to fit. I actually finally had a chance to talk to the FSDO this afternoon and the person on the phone was very nice, but had no idea about this provision. Once she read it, she stated "just have a piece of paper saying you've had a physical...I'm sure it's much more comprehensive."

So, there you go. I'm sure that couldn't be faked...