• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Useful gifts for flight school students?

Atreyu098

Hey,

With Christmas coming up and everything, I was wondering if anyone has any ideas of what would be a good gift to ask for or give to a flight school student. Something maybe that is useful to carry while flying (of course if approved), like good survival knives or accessories that are helpful. Or anything else that could help in the long run! If anyone has any ideas, let me know!

b0pric01

pilot
A nice bottle of bourbon would probably be appreciated and put to good use. Or some Wiley X fingerless gloves if it absolutely must be work related, otherwise pretty much everything else they need is issued to them.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
IPad mini/comparable Android tablet...they can't use it in flight school, but it's useful for other things until they get to a place where they can use it in the cockpit later.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
A nice bottle of bourbon would probably be appreciated and put to good use. Or some Wiley X fingerless gloves if it absolutely must be work related, otherwise pretty much everything else they need is issued to them.

I've been using my Outdoor Research/Massif fingerless gloves for almost a year now and I have to say, I've been impressed. Lots of people have complained about the other brand's approved gloves falling apart but mine have been rock solid and still ticking.

But booze is always good.

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
I hate to derail where this thread is going, but...

G-Shock digital watch that has the automatic time-hack off the radio signal. Never having to hack your watch is awesome.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
I hate to derail where this thread is going, but...

G-Shock digital watch that has the automatic time-hack off the radio signal. Never having to hack your watch is awesome.

I dunno if all G-shocks have the feature, but mine has the ability to illuminate it's backlight if I rotate the face towards me (it senses the shift in motion). It's honestly probably the most useful feature I've ever had in a watch, and I've got a few high end Omegas.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Tipsy Gypsy patches (nametag and flag maybe), iPad, nice brown shoes off the top of my head.

Atreyu098

Lovin' the replies honestly! Thanks everyone. I am still very new to flight school and was just trying to see what would be useful down the road regardless of platform! I will wait off on the fingerless gloves because I am sure that's just asking for trouble when you are flying in flight school. But, bikerboy, what type of G-shock if I may ask? Just trying to figure stuff out!

b0pric01

pilot
Our AMSO in primary was pushing for us to get the fingerless gloves and actually got a group discount, so don't think you will be getting the person in trouble or bringing any unnecessary attention to them. The G-Shock is a solid suggestion, especially if it has the automatic timekeeping as previously mentioned.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My 9G kneeboard from Pensacola Wings served me well throughout my flying career.

HuggyU2

None
Or some Wiley X fingerless gloves...
This fingerless glove thing interests me.
Such a cultural difference between Naval and AF aviation. We just don't see people do the fingerless gloves in the USAF.
I tried it a few years ago when I saw my Navy friends doing it... I really didn't like it. Was glad to get a new set of gloves with 5 fingers on each hand.