• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great Flight Jacket Thread (wearing/buying Leather, NOMEX, WEP jackets/patches)

FSUMIDN

P-3 TACCO
Ya, would have done for minor fit but it was the rumored lawsuit time so they only had Giant and midget sized. Found the latest instruction online which has a "shall" about them "free issuing" jackets that have been returned to maximize use. Will ask about that availability if they deny, deny, counter-accuse me.

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
If you get one of the leather jackets from Osan, I would highly recommend getting measured or sending in your measurements. I had a buddy buy me a 42" off the rack, and the sleeves are crazy long while chest is super tight. For comparison my issued 42" fits just fine.

robav8r

None
Contributor
Anyone have a "good" PR that can sew a couple Tipsy Gypsy patches on a new leather flight jacket in the San Diego area? Lunch is on me for the PR who can accommodate . . . . Thanks !!!

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Anyone have a "good" PR that can sew a couple Tipsy Gypsy patches on a new leather flight jacket in the San Diego area? Lunch is on me for the PR who can accommodate . . . . Thanks !!!
VRC-30 Paraloft at NASNI. They are pretty accomodating with the right motivation.

BeardPapa

I'm selling my 2012 issued 44R G-1. I never had any patches etc sewn on it and have yet to wear it a single day. Contact me if you are interested. I am stationed at North Island.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Recommendations for sewing shops in Tidewater area?

So, 9 months waiting for Tipsy Gypsy patches, plus a 9month deployment to 5th Fleet, and I ended up taking my jacket into Biker's Depot in Virginia Beach. They put the squadron patch on, plus added the side pockets with lining, just in time for temps to dip into the 40s around here. Highly recommended, but a bit pricey ($85 for the pockets and patch sewing).

ItnStln

I'm selling my 2012 issued 44R G-1. I never had any patches etc sewn on it and have yet to wear it a single day. Contact me if you are interested. I am stationed at North Island.
If you still have it, please PM me because I am looking for one.

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
Whew!

What a relief!

Finally received my 1986 AOCS issued G-1 back from a local Cincinnati, OH tailor (widmerscleaners.com) with its new YKK zipper. The original Scovill zipper started disintegrating a while back. Following the tailor's zipper replacement, I chopped off the YKK pull tab and installed the original Scovill wire pull tab with original leather strap to retain the original look. I was really sweating a load regarding the zipper replacement...but it turned out GREAT. Also, the new YKK zipper operates MUCH EASIER and SMOOTHER than the original Scovill zipper ever did.

Last edited:

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
Holy smokeroonies...since my almost 25 year old Nomex CWU-36/P's stitching is disintegrating...I checked on a price of a new Nomex CWU-36/P from Alpha Industries...$850!!! Say WHAT? That's a bunch of dough!!! No-can-do!!!

Off to the fabric store for some 'almost sage green' nylon thread ($1.89). Not the best sew-job in the solar system but at least stuff isn't flying out the bottom of the left side pocket anymore.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    210.3 KB · Views: 71
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 80

707guy

"You can't make this shit up..."
Holy smokeroonies...since my almost 25 year old Nomex CWU-36/P's stitching is disintegrating...I checked on a price of a new Nomex CWU-36/P from Alpha Industries...$850!!! Say WHAT? That's a bunch of dough!!! No-can-do!!!

Off to the fabric store for some 'almost sage green' nylon thread ($1.89). Not the best sew-job in the solar system but at least stuff isn't flying out the bottom of the left side pocket anymore.

Took mine in for some TLC a couple of years ago for the same thing. It needs some more help now though. Wear it almost the whole winter here so it gets beat up pretty good.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Gibson & Barnes makes a version out of 'mountain cloth,' which is great if you don't actually need Nomex. More like a heavy cotton like BDU trousers. Only about $150, as I recall.

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
Took mine in for some TLC a couple of years ago for the same thing. It needs some more help now though. Wear it almost the whole winter here so it gets beat up pretty good.
I hear you regarding winter wear...both my CWU-36/P and G-2 (pictured below) are my dedicated 'Southwestern Ohio' winter jackets. I get to meet a good number of mil vet types when I wear the jackets...however, I do encounter the occasional "Where's Goose?" non-mil vet/civilian type to which I reply, "I heard that Goose is up your ass and Jo Jo The Butt Pirate who's right over there wants to fetch him."

:D

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 105
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
Gibson & Barnes makes a version out of 'mountain cloth,' which is great if you don't actually need Nomex. More like a heavy cotton like BDU trousers. Only about $150, as I recall.
That's good info...thank you...$150 is certainly doable...I may go that route when the time comes. I definitely don't NEED Nomex...but it's tough to beat that unique 'stink-o-matic' smell of NEW Nomex.

:cool:

707guy

"You can't make this shit up..."
I hear you regarding winter wear...both my CWU-36/P and G-2 (pictured below) are my dedicated 'Southwestern Ohio' winter jackets.

Works well in Northern Ohio too! Throw a hoodie underneath it when it gets in the teens and below. I was doing fire extinguisher training at the airport fire station a few years ago and the chief said to me "You won't want to get too close to that fire with that plastic jacket." I said "Hell no chief - this is the real deal - nomex all the way!"