• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Doctor is in! Ask a Flight Surgeon!

utswimmer37

"Descent Planning"
pilot
update. NAMI just wanted the dr. notes on file. Received my nami letter the following day but didn't get my orders until 1400 day of graduation. Is what it is. Learned that there is really jack I can do to influence the situation and I was only making the situation worse and my blood pressure higher. Buy flight insurance and call it a day. Off to OHARP for the next 11 weeks and then on to Pensacola. :)

jcj

update. NAMI just wanted the dr. notes on file. Received my nami letter the following day but didn't get my orders until 1400 day of graduation. Is what it is. Learned that there is really jack I can do to influence the situation and I was only making the situation worse and my blood pressure higher. Buy flight insurance and call it a day. Off to OHARP for the next 11 weeks and then on to Pensacola. :)

My understanding is that there has been a much greater need than originally anticipated to evacuate service members of all branches from the recent several years of overseas deployments becasue of asthma-related issues. Apparently the affected service members were "good to go" by the prior standards existing at the time of their accession & deployment. I've seen the numbers & they were impressive, i just don't have them handy to post. Hence (and understandably) they've tightened the standards & are sticking to them closely. But my understanding is if you can get past the new standard you'll be good to go as the newer standards are much more stringent. Good luck.

utswimmer37

"Descent Planning"
pilot
My understanding is that there has been a much greater need than originally anticipated to evacuate service members of all branches from the recent several years of overseas deployments becasue of asthma-related issues. Apparently the affected service members were "good to go" by the prior standards existing at the time of their accession & deployment. I've seen the numbers & they were impressive, i just don't have them handy to post. Hence (and understandably) they've tightened the standards & are sticking to them closely. But my understanding is if you can get past the new standard you'll be good to go as the newer standards are much more stringent. Good luck.
yeah they are no BS on any asthma history. If you have it end of story, if you fall within the standard you're good. There is also an updated respiratory waiver guide on the NAMI/NOMI website that you have to check the boxes on to be considered for the waiver. Not everyone gets it form my understanding but that's beyond me.

exNavyOffRec

yeah they are no BS on any asthma history. If you have it end of story, if you fall within the standard you're good. There is also an updated respiratory waiver guide on the NAMI/NOMI website that you have to check the boxes on to be considered for the waiver. Not everyone gets it form my understanding but that's beyond me.

for a while every SNA/SNFO we sent to OCS that had asthma as a child and documents saying they were OK were getting DQ'd from aviation.

joe dirt

pilot
Question for the Doc's if you have time.

I've got a plate and 6 screws in my ulna from a compound fracture I sustained in 2006. Recently, the portion of the plate closest to my elbow has become sensitive (sharp pain shooting down to my fingertips) to the touch and uncomfortable during weight bearing activities.

Is it common for retained hardware to become painful after a number of years? Would that be something that they can or do remove?

Thanks in advance!

TimeBomb

Noise, vibration and harshness
Removal of orthopedic hardware is done all the time, and typically for one or more of the reasons you list. I'd recommend heading back to orthopedics and getting it taken care of reasonably quickly. Sounds like something is bumping in a nerve causing the shooting pain into your fingers. Which fingers, by the way?
R/

joe dirt

pilot
It's my pinky and ring finger that feel it most when I bump my hardware on something.

I'll swing by medical this week and have em take a look at me, thanks!

TimeBomb

Kind of figured that, just wanted to make sure. Your hardware seems to be impinging on your ulnar nerve...AKA your funny bone. That nerve supplies sensation to the 5th finger and half the 4th finger. Time to get that stuff out of there!
R/

TimeBomb

Cool article! Thanks for the link. I went to their website to look at the technology, most of which I don't understand, but the science looks legit. They're not that expensive considering the resulting quality of life improvement if you happen to be one of those who benefits.
R/

PrudasJiest

Haze Gray
I just reread my post and realized it was somewhat misleading. I was NPQed back in May, but the things they NPQed me for were no more recent than 5 or 6 years ago (aside from possibly not disclosing information, which was an extra little bullet they added to the NPQ letter)
Hey all,

I'm not sure if this changes anything since the last time I posted, but I got my hands on my official NPQ:
"not physically qualified but aeronautically adapted due to

1.COGNITIVE DEFICITS (4380) CURRENT COGNITIVE DISORDER AS DEMONSTRATED BY NEURO PSYCOLOGY TESTING (disqualified).

2. ATTENTION DEFICIT DISORDER WITH HYPERACTIVITY (31401) HISTORY OF WITH CURRENT COGNITIVE DISORDER NO5 (disqualified)."

Any ideas where I can find out what #4380 refers to, or "current cognitive disorder no5"? I'm really just trying to figure out if any of this is waiverable before I even start to put together the legwork for a waiver (especially considering I'm trying to qual up before I can dream of a lat transfer)

TimeBomb

PrudasJiest,
The numbers 4380 and 31401 are the numerical codes assigned to those medical conditions under the International Classification of Diseases version 9 (ICD-9). "NO5" is actually "NOS", meaning "Not Otherwise Specified". Under DoD Instruction 6130.03, ADHD may not be disqualifying if specific conditions are met. My impression from your note is that you didn't meet all the conditions that would make ADHD not disqualifying, hence the NPQ designation. Waivers are possible if those conditions are satisfied.

Cognitive disorder is clearly not compatible with active service. Unless some reversible cause can be determined that accounts for the diagnosis, I'd be very surprised if that would warrant a waiver recommendation.

R/

PrudasJiest

Haze Gray
PrudasJiest,
The numbers 4380 and 31401 are the numerical codes assigned to those medical conditions under the International Classification of Diseases version 9 (ICD-9). "NO5" is actually "NOS", meaning "Not Otherwise Specified". Under DoD Instruction 6130.03, ADHD may not be disqualifying if specific conditions are met. My impression from your note is that you didn't meet all the conditions that would make ADHD not disqualifying, hence the NPQ designation. Waivers are possible if those conditions are satisfied.

Cognitive disorder is clearly not compatible with active service. Unless some reversible cause can be determined that accounts for the diagnosis, I'd be very surprised if that would warrant a waiver recommendation.

R/
Thanks a bunch for this. Given that this is entirely what my NPQ is based off of (despite all the other medical hoops they had me jump through after OCS), and given that I'm still a SWO and will have been an active duty SWO quite some time before trying to appeal for a waiver, I think the fight is worth my time.

Am I being naive? Or can these things really be overturned given my circumstances?