• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy Issue Phone?

cem118

This may be a dumb question and not particularly important. Does the Navy issue cell phones to officers? My OR has an official phone but is that because of his particular job? Just curious. I am waiting on my Final Select letter and day dreaming about making life changing plans. Currently I have a phone with my employer and wondering if I should start researching personal phones of if its going to be a non-issue.

Obviously this is pretty low on my list of priorities but was curious, did a search, and came up with nothing. Thanks.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
No, the Navy does not issue phones to officers. Your recruiter has one because of his job and so will a few others but it is not common so don't count on having one.

slater44

None
I'm not an officer, but in my experience, I'd start researching personal phones if I were you. On duty you will have the CDO/SDO phone but that's only once or twice a month.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Or you could be a flag aid after your first sea-tour and have your very own Navy issued phone....but I'm not sure that's worth the hassle.

cem118

Cool. That is what I figured but thought it couldn't hurt to throw out the question. Now I've got to figure out the most efficient plan/provider... this is complicated.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Only slightly more complicated than finding matching socks in the dryer. I'm sure you'll do fine.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
For what it's worth, I had terrible luck with Sprint and T-Mobile reception on Navy bases. AT&T slightly less crap.

Of course, all military buildings seem to have cel-suppressive paint on the walls or something. Even the Commissary and gym. Been years since I had to sit on a windowsill to get a signal, except at the Norfolk Q.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
...Of course, all military buildings seem to have cel-suppressive paint on the walls or something. Even the Commissary and gym. Been years since I had to sit on a windowsill to get a signal, except at the Norfolk Q.

What do you expect with all that lead-based paint and asbestos?

exNavyOffRec

For what it's worth, I had terrible luck with Sprint and T-Mobile reception on Navy bases. AT&T slightly less crap.

Of course, all military buildings seem to have cel-suppressive paint on the walls or something. Even the Commissary and gym. Been years since I had to sit on a windowsill to get a signal, except at the Norfolk Q.

I had awful luck with verizon when I had my military phone, would lose signal at the NRD, but it worked great in the sticks, had a CO get pissed off because he couldn't reach the CDO (me) because I had no signal.

My pers phone was AT&T, worked great in the city, but couldn't get signal in the sticks, no issue for me.

JollyGood

Flashing Dome
pilot

Most cell providers are going to have terrible service on the military installations. It mostly boils down to the fact that it is not worth the pain, time and expense for cell providers to put new towers on military bases.

The amount of studies required to be completed by a myriad of agencies with signatures galore would make you think you were trying to pass the budget of the entire U.S. Navy.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Most cell providers are going to have terrible service on the military installations. It mostly boils down to the fact that it is not worth the pain, time and expense for cell providers to put new towers on military bases.

The amount of studies required to be completed by a myriad of agencies with signatures galore would make you think you were trying to pass the budget of the entire U.S. Navy.

Sometimes there are very good reasons not to put antennas in places they may not belong.

azguy

None
Sometimes there are very good reasons not to put antennas in places they may not belong.

Cue spooky music...

BT

To the OP, even if the Navy issued you a phone if you go to a job that requires one, it's still a big no-no to use it for personal buisness.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
This may be a dumb question and not particularly important. Does the Navy issue cell phones to officers? My OR has an official phone but is that because of his particular job? Just curious. I am waiting on my Final Select letter and day dreaming about making life changing plans. Currently I have a phone with my employer and wondering if I should start researching personal phones of if its going to be a non-issue.

Obviously this is pretty low on my list of priorities but was curious, did a search, and came up with nothing. Thanks.
Our DHs were issued phones from Navy supply while we were in drydock because recording devices (which are on practically every single phone) were not allowed on the premises. They were also issued cell phones in foreign ports. JOs, not so much.

They were bright yellow, the size of about 1/2 a brick, and barely got reception most of the time.