• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Selected for OCS and Flight School.

IronDuke

Hello everyone. So earlier this month I was selected for OCS and SNA. My recruiter told me I was officially selected and am now waiting on orders at this point. It is my understanding that I need a top secret security clearance. I currently hold a secret clearance with the Air National Guard. I am not worried, but just curious, there is no way that a top secret clearance investigation is done yet, right? I submitted my SF 86 in late July and was selected on November 4th. I know that it could not be done yet, but I am just curious as to why they would select someone without looking into their background first. Any thoughts about that, or what I do at this point while in purgatory?

TnSig

SNA
My roommate just checked into primary this week and they got him started on his TS package. He went through OCS, A-pool, IFS, and API without anyone mentioning it. I am about to class up for IFS and I don't have a TS, just a secret, so it's not really something you should worry about. When you need a TS, they'll get you one. As far as what to do now, enjoy your time at home. Work out, drink, play video games, enjoy your family. Memorize the "big five," but no more. Time in "purgatory" before OCS and then sitting in A-pool waiting to class up for flight school shouldn't go to waste with worry. Flight school is going to be a long journey, so enjoy your free time while you have it.

IronDuke

Thanks for the input! I guess I have been worrying too much about it. I know how serious a TS can be, and I have spent alot of time trying to think back to anything in the past that I may have accidentally checked "no" for or forgot about (i.e. anything medical, tickets, etc.). As for free time, I wish I had that now. I am staying occupied with graduate school and teaching freshman classes.

croakerfish

pilot
Is this a new thing? You just need a Secret to get commissioned and fly. The only people I know who get TS in flight school are those who selected Jets.

IronDuke

I thought I remembered my recruiter telling me I need TS clearance. Because I have secret already and I had to do another SF-86.

croakerfish

pilot
I thought I remembered my recruiter telling me I need TS clearance. Because I have secret already and I had to do another SF-86.

I wouldn't take having to do a new SF-86 as evidence that you need a new clearance or a TS. He probably just wanted it in there to avoid people kicking it back over not having an SF-86, whether you really needed it or not.

Whitefoot

None
Even if you already have a security clearance, they will normally want to do a reinvestigation. That is the purpose of redoing the SF86. I have had an update and a reinvestigation and have only had my Secret clearance for five years. (Valid for 10 years for those who don't know)