• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Enlisted Reserves to OCS Active Duty

FleetR

Sorry if it has been covered.
I am a First Class in the Reserves with prior active service. I am applying for Pilot/NFO but the process is very confusing. As a reservist the Officer Recruiters may not help with my package, and as a Reserve Sailor I have no Career Counselor that is familiar with a transfer to Active Duty Officer via OCS. That makes this an entirely solo evolution.

So far I have a decent amount of my package done thanks to the support from my shipmates on these forums. I have pieced together how to do things by myself for the most part. Right now I am hung up on getting my medical cleared which I have learned; I have to drop by N3m at a MEPS. Still foggy on how to get that done. Air Force Doc said I have asymmetrical hearing that needs cleared by a Navy Doc... Fancy talk for a little decline at 6000 hz.

I wanted to see if anyone on here has done their package entirely by themselves, no recruiters, no counselors, and how they did it. If my current reserve sailors ever wanted to take the next step I would like them to find resources and support on here as well.

Thanks
-Fleet

Workingoutsidemyfield

I did everything by myself, with motivation from a few who knew I was not going to waste time when due dates were around the corner. Please email unless you turned in your package already. ..

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Do you have a NOSC that can help? Bigger NOSCs will have an actual NC, but I understand not all NCs are equal. Another option to help (besides here) is to find another command that may be able to give some guidance. Probably not a ton of Navy help in KS, but figured I'd make the suggestion.

exNavyOffRec

Do you have a NOSC that can help? Bigger NOSCs will have an actual NC, but I understand not all NCs are equal. Another option to help (besides here) is to find another command that may be able to give some guidance. Probably not a ton of Navy help in KS, but figured I'd make the suggestion.

He would be better off finding an young officer that went through OCS, unfortunately many NC's have minimal knowledge of OCS programs and application procedures, when I went through CCC school it was barely talked about, I think we just went over the 1420 briefly.

roflsaurus

"Jet" Pilot
pilot
Is that something new from NRC? I applied as a reservist through a civilian recruiter early last year, and it was no problem. I just had to get them a DD-368 from PERS with my COs endorsement.

FleetR

Not to belittle the NOSC NC, He does a great job helping his sailors, however OCS is unfamiliar waters to him. That goes for my Unit NC as well.

Is that something new from NRC? I applied as a reservist through a civilian recruiter early last year, and it was no problem. I just had to get them a DD-368 from PERS with my COs endorsement.
I do believe. I was told it was actually an older instruction, and now it is being cracked down on as of earlier this year. When my first OR got told he could not help me, I found a second OR... He said the same thing. Do note; They are not allowed to "OFFICIALLY" help me with a package, but do offer advice such as finding AirWarriors.com.

I do have a JO at the command that is helping me with everything else, but the medical portion is entirely foreign and the biggest obstacle.

exNavyOffRec

Not to belittle the NOSC NC, He does a great job helping his sailors, however OCS is unfamiliar waters to him. That goes for my Unit NC as well.

I do believe. I was told it was actually an older instruction, and now it is being cracked down on as of earlier this year. When my first OR got told he could not help me, I found a second OR... He said the same thing. Do note; They are not allowed to "OFFICIALLY" help me with a package, but do offer advice such as finding AirWarriors.com.

I do have a JO at the command that is helping me with everything else, but the medical portion is entirely foreign and the biggest obstacle.

It changed in the past year I believe, it is a fairly new rule, I do understand why they did it but the implementation was not the best.

FleetR

It changed in the past year I believe, it is a fairly new rule, I do understand why they did it but the implementation was not the best.
It definitely makes things harder relying on the NCs for info they don't have. It's my career so I will take it into my own hands happily.
That being said, If I am able to navigate all these processes, even in failure to get selected I will be able to help my own sailors pursue their goals. Heck, I will be teaching the NC how to do it as well.

exNavyOffRec

It definitely makes things harder relying on the NCs for info they don't have. It's my career so I will take it into my own hands happily.
That being said, If I am able to navigate all these processes, even in failure to get selected I will be able to help my own sailors pursue their goals. Heck, I will be teaching the NC how to do it as well.

It would help you guys out if the 1420 was kept up to date.

roflsaurus

"Jet" Pilot
pilot
I do believe. I was told it was actually an older instruction, and now it is being cracked down on as of earlier this year. When my first OR got told he could not help me, I found a second OR... He said the same thing. Do note; They are not allowed to "OFFICIALLY" help me with a package, but do offer advice such as finding AirWarriors.

Damn, that sucks. Well, I can tell you that the juice is worth the squeeze bro. Best of luck to you.

jl08

pilot
I went through the same process in 2008 but with the help of a civilian OR. The OR took care of MEPS for me but I had to do most of the research and legwork for the NOSC to get my conditional release and CO's endorsement. Unfortunately, as you've already seen, this is not something they normally do.

While it was wasn't fun doing people's job for them, it had its benefits. I ended up becoming the unit CCC and was able to help other people through the process at the same time. My COC took note of this and I got an awesome eval and CO's endorsement.

While I cant offer much help with your MEPS issue, there are a few other things to keep in mind. It looks like you have great LOR's but you might also want to look into getting some interviews from senior officers (preferably O-5 and above) in the aviation community. While nobody really knows what the board is looking for, I was told that these sometimes carry more weight because these people aren't biased towards you. Also, make sure that your eval has "OCS/Officer Program" or something similar in box 41. My last eval prior to submitting my package was awesome but that box was empty. It wasn't intentional, the chief just didn't think about it. Lastly, ensure you get a very strong endorsement from your CO. This can make or break your package. I was fortunate to have a great CO who took the time to give me a good write up but not all of them do.

It looks like you have a great attitude and a strong package. Keep at it and you'll be getting beat in Newport before you know it!

exNavyOffRec

I went through the same process in 2008 but with the help of a civilian OR. The OR took care of MEPS for me but I had to do most of the research and legwork for the NOSC to get my conditional release and CO's endorsement. Unfortunately, as you've already seen, this is not something they normally do.

While it was wasn't fun doing people's job for them, it had its benefits. I ended up becoming the unit CCC and was able to help other people through the process at the same time. My COC took note of this and I got an awesome eval and CO's endorsement.

While I cant offer much help with your MEPS issue, there are a few other things to keep in mind. It looks like you have great LOR's but you might also want to look into getting some interviews from senior officers (preferably O-5 and above) in the aviation community. While nobody really knows what the board is looking for, I was told that these sometimes carry more weight because these people aren't biased towards you. Also, make sure that your eval has "OCS/Officer Program" or something similar in box 41. My last eval prior to submitting my package was awesome but that box was empty. It wasn't intentional, the chief just didn't think about it. Lastly, ensure you get a very strong endorsement from your CO. This can make or break your package. I was fortunate to have a great CO who took the time to give me a good write up but not all of them do.

It looks like you have a great attitude and a strong package. Keep at it and you'll be getting beat in Newport before you know it!

you are referring to a processor, the USN doesn't use civilian officer recruiters, but in the past year or so the process has completely changed for those that are USN reservist, the instruction they use is different, the forms are different, the submission method is different, it really took everyone by surprise.

FleetR

Latest and greatest is I have my 3 Officer Appraisals done, all three by Navy Pilots, two CDRs and an Admiral.
Its almost over, though I did just hear Pilot is now 100% manned so they are snatching up NFOs.

My Unit is kind of screwing me on the latest Eval. I work in INTEL, but have been waiting for my clearance to be renewed. This means no work for me besides collaterals.

Most of my package is done. Waiting on the CO's LOR and my Conditional Release from PERS. Then I just need to finish up the APSR and email it in.

Which reminds me,
you are referring to a processor, the USN doesn't use civilian officer recruiters, but in the past year or so the process has completely changed for those that are USN reservist, the instruction they use is different, the forms are different, the submission method is different, it really took everyone by surprise.
Is there any instruction for us on how to properly fill out the DD 1131/238?

BleedGreen

pilot
Latest and greatest is I have my 3 Officer Appraisals done, all three by Navy Pilots, two CDRs and an Admiral.
Its almost over, though I did just hear Pilot is now 100% manned so they are snatching up NFOs.

My Unit is kind of screwing me on the latest Eval. I work in INTEL, but have been waiting for my clearance to be renewed. This means no work for me besides collaterals.

Most of my package is done. Waiting on the CO's LOR and my Conditional Release from PERS. Then I just need to finish up the APSR and email it in.

Which reminds me,

Is there any instruction for us on how to properly fill out the DD 1131/238?
Have you had any luck getting the physical taken care of? When I went from reserves to OCS, I completed a flight physical at local MCAS, without an appointment even. If you can get in touch with a local military health clinic, they might be able to assist you with a commissioning physical.