• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Questions about after OCS.

David Y

I've been selected pilot in the most recent pilot/nfo board! I can't wait to get my FINSEL! I have a couple of questions about immediately following OCS, hopefully a few pilots/NFOs can help me out if you don't mind. I am married and my wife and I are just trying to get a better grasp on how things will go at first. First, how long can I expect to have to wait following OCS for my orders to go to Pcola? Also what kind of job/location will I most likely have? Thank you in advance for providing some insight!

Novaspike

You'll be getting PCS orders pretty much the last 2 weeks of OCS. If you're going to move using the Navy it requires about a three week lead time minimum, so expect to have to report down yourself and then your wife after (unless you have family that can be there when they pack up your stuff).

You also have a choice in where you live. Double check when you get them, but you should have follow on orders to Whiting Field (since you have a dependant). If so, you can live in Pensecola, Milton, or inbetween. You will get the option to break your lease if you move more than 30 miles after API, so if you don't have much stuff you can minimize commute times by living in Pcola, then moving closer to Milton.

As for what job, it depends on what the wait time is like over there. You'll initially check into A-pool which is muster once a day and volunteer/get voluntold for jobs on occasion. Then you'll have IFS, which is pretty much tests for a couple weeks and civilian flying with Friday musters if you don't have a private pilots already. Then possibly A pool again. Then API, which is...fun. After that you'll have about a week or so (while still working) to move again.

Anyway, all that is dependant on your final select, getting through OCS, and getting through API. Lots of things can go wrong, but keep pushing. Good luck!

David Y

You'll be getting PCS orders pretty much the last 2 weeks of OCS. If you're going to move using the Navy it requires about a three week lead time minimum, so expect to have to report down yourself and then your wife after (unless you have family that can be there when they pack up your stuff).

You also have a choice in where you live. Double check when you get them, but you should have follow on orders to Whiting Field (since you have a dependant). If so, you can live in Pensecola, Milton, or inbetween. You will get the option to break your lease if you move more than 30 miles after API, so if you don't have much stuff you can minimize commute times by living in Pcola, then moving closer to Milton.

As for what job, it depends on what the wait time is like over there. You'll initially check into A-pool which is muster once a day and volunteer/get voluntold for jobs on occasion. Then you'll have IFS, which is pretty much tests for a couple weeks and civilian flying with Friday musters if you don't have a private pilots already. Then possibly A pool again. Then API, which is...fun. After that you'll have about a week or so (while still working) to move again.

Anyway, all that is dependant on your final select, getting through OCS, and getting through API. Lots of things can go wrong, but keep pushing. Good luck!

Thanks so much for all that info! Greatly appreciated! Thanks for the good luck wishes! Any general advice on OCS?

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
You will get the option to break your lease if you move more than 30 miles after API, so if you don't have much stuff you can minimize commute times by living in Pcola, then moving closer to Milton.
To clarify this point, you need to live more than 30 miles from Milton to break your lease after API in Pensacola. If you don't, your landlord may still let you out of your lease if they're nice enough, but they're not obligated to. Also you should give your landlord notice when you expect to move out, usually about a month in advance if possible. Just be honest with them and keep them posted, all the landlords I've come across so far are very accommodating.

croakerfish

pilot
To clarify this point, you need to live more than 30 miles from Milton to break your lease after API in Pensacola. If you don't, your landlord may still let you out of your lease if they're nice enough, but they're not obligated to. Also you should give your landlord notice when you expect to move out, usually about a month in advance if possible. Just be honest with them and keep them posted, all the landlords I've come across so far are very accommodating.

Not 100% sure on this, but I'm pretty sure it's the distance between duty stations that counts, not your residence. If I recall NASP and Whiting are not far enough apart to break your lease.

Whitefoot

None
Not 100% sure on this, but I'm pretty sure it's the distance between duty stations that counts, not your residence. If I recall NASP and Whiting are not far enough apart to break your lease.

I thought it was Duty stations too until I asked the all knowing google. For Florida, the following is applicable:
83.682(a) The servicemember is required, pursuant to a permanent change of station orders, to move 35 miles or more from the location of the rental premises;

Link for reference:

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes...ng=&URL=0000-0099/0083/Sections/0083.682.html