• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Random questions about API

Just wanted to ask a question regarding the PCS to Pensacola from OCS. I'm currently enlisted and leave for OCS in a month. My belongings are in San Diego, so I've coordinated a dity move for my things to go to Pensacola. I need to give the movers a date so my question is: how quickly after you graduate OCS do you PCS to Pensacola? Is there a waiting period or is it immediately after you graduate? I haven't found anything on previous forums.

Spartan43

STEEEEEEEEEVE
None
Just wanted to ask a question regarding the PCS to Pensacola from OCS. I'm currently enlisted and leave for OCS in a month. My belongings are in San Diego, so I've coordinated a dity move for my things to go to Pensacola. I need to give the movers a date so my question is: how quickly after you graduate OCS do you PCS to Pensacola? Is there a waiting period or is it immediately after you graduate? I haven't found anything on previous forums.
It varies with every class. Some get a few weeks of OHARP (recruiting) duty and others have report dates that are a week later. You won't know until you get orders sometime during the last two weeks of OCS.

guffster

Do you ever have anything scheduled on the weekends in API or primary? Trying to determine if I will be able to attend some of my friends' upcoming weddings, which are scheduled on Friday and Saturday nights. In case it matters, they will be in California and Washington, so far away from wherever I could possibly be stationed. Thanks in advance.

Spartan43

STEEEEEEEEEVE
None
You may have weekend flights or watch. You could try to get leave but they usually only allow that for immediate family.

croakerfish

pilot
You may have weekend flights or watch. You could try to get leave but they usually only allow that for immediate family.

They like to beat you over the head with how you can't take leave for anything less than an emergency, but I've never seen anyone get denied if a leave request was submitted within a reasonable timeframe. If you already know the dates you'll need leave when you check in it's unlikely you'll get denied. Just remember to SNIV!

Edit: Also, don't buy plane tickets until your leave is approved. EVER. That is one guaranteed way to bring down some pain, since it can be seen as using the fact that you already threw down money to guilt people into approving said leave.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
Edit: Also, don't buy plane tickets until your leave is approved. EVER. That is one guaranteed way to bring down some pain, since it can be seen as using the fact that you already threw down money to guilt people into approving said leave.
Seconded. Also, I'd recommend using Southwest whenever possible. If there's a change of plans, they're much better in terms of refunds/vouchers than other airlines. Lot more flexibility.

Gillie1985

I have a question..well two questions. I'm looking at the pipe line for NFO and at what point do they give you the platform you will be working in? I'm trying to go Strike Fighter since I worked onmF-18C as an Air Framer. Is it hard to go strike, and if so what should I do to better my chance. Also if prior enlisted can i wear my EAWS on my flight suit as soon as i get it or do I have to wait. Thanks in advance

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
There are three selection points in the NFO pipeline. Big wing guys leave after Primary, E-2 guys leave after Intermediate, and fighter guys continue on through Strike.

You should absolutely wear your EAWS.

Gillie1985

Thank you so much for the information, so what plays a Major role in getting selected for strike? Like GPA while in API and Physical Performance? I'm not trying to out do anyone else, well yeah I am if I can go strike lol. I just want to work as hard as I can while in API so I can get in the back seat of a Hornet or F-35 and help the Pilot do his job, but i doubt that will happen.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
All anyone can really do is to get the best grades they can. So much of your platform selection is based on timing and needs of the Navy, but if your particular selection(s) have variety in platform type, then having the best possible grades can give you some control over your destiny. Bottom line, study hard, but come to terms with the possibility that you won't get your first (or second) choice.

Gillie1985

Thanks for the information, It's good to have a goal. guess i'll have to wait and see on the needs of the Navy. If i don't get it, i guess I can try later in my career.