• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Really stupid questions about life as a SWO and anything else not aviation related [mod dog wuz hərə]

swerdna

None
Contributor
Thanks, it's just important to me that I get my family back to SD. Do you remember the available allotments proportionally for the duty stations?

There were lots for San Diego and Norfolk, which is typical but never guaranteed. You could have nothing available in San Diego or lots of billets. I recommend getting all of the SWO and SWO Nuke guys together to talk about what you want before ship selection comes up, and to focus on your studies and PT in OCS, because you choose based on your ranking.

enlUSMC

It's SWOtastic
There were lots for San Diego and Norfolk, which is typical but never guaranteed. You could have nothing available in San Diego or lots of billets. I recommend getting all of the SWO and SWO Nuke guys together to talk about what you want before ship selection comes up, and to focus on your studies and PT in OCS, because you choose based on your ranking.
Thanks

Marko88m5

Does any one know when the last SWO board met? I know that SWO has a rolling board, but does anyone know when likely the next board would meet?

WMTex

I'm simply confused, and this is probably an easy question... But, who pilots a submarine? I'm applying for swo and I'd love to get involved in subsurface ships. I thought this is only open to Nuclear Officers, or are those guys just in the engine area. I'm also applying for supply and I understand they have sea tours on subs. But swo does too? I just don't understand what it takes to be on a sub in a URL role.

azguy

None
I'm simply confused, and this is probably an easy question... But, who pilots a submarine? I'm applying for swo and I'd love to get involved in subsurface ships. I thought this is only open to Nuclear Officers, or are those guys just in the engine area. I'm also applying for supply and I understand they have sea tours on subs. But swo does too? I just don't understand what it takes to be on a sub in a URL role.

They have their own community- designator 1120. They all go to nuke school.

If you're OK with nuke school and living in a tube for months at a time, Fast Attack guys are the most "operational" of any navy officer community, save for spec war.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

SWOs drive surface ships. There is a Nuke SWO track - those guys are trained in running reactors on carriers (the only nuke surface ships we have) but also go to conventionally powered ships during their career.

Submariners are a completely seperate community. All sub officers go through nuke school as part of their training. It's the same school that nuke SWOs go through, but other than that, SWOs and Sub guys are in seperate professional worlds.

Jeremy Goods

I'm an E-6 in the Army. I got a 51 on my OAR GPA is 3.21 for my undergrad in Business Admin / Criminal Justice but I guess they combined it with another school I attended which dropped it to a 2.98 even though the credits didn't transfer over. Currently working on my MBA have a 3.5 GPA. Got 7 letters of recommendation from 2 O-3's 1 O-2 3 E-7's and 1 E-6. Had an interview with an O-6 Believe I got a ten on that. This is my second board I've applied for. SWO is first and Supply is second I have 7 years active duty army. Packet should be pretty solid. Can anyone tell me my odds? I hope this board I get selected been pushing real hard for this. Any words would be great. I know asking for odds on this stuff is pretty tough but for those that have been selected were your stats worse or better?

enlUSMC

It's SWOtastic
I've been researching the opportunities for a SWO to attend grad school (Naval War College, Naval Post grad school, Executive MBA, etc) and was surprised to learn that some SWOs think that time out for grad school is not good for career progression. Any SWOs have any feedback on this--is higher education not worth the time if an officer wants to make the Navy a career?

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've been researching the opportunities for a SWO to attend grad school (Naval War College, Naval Post grad school, Executive MBA, etc) and was surprised to learn that some SWOs think that time out for grad school is not good for career progression. Any SWOs have any feedback on this--is higher education not worth the time if an officer wants to make the Navy a career?

Not sure where you heard that. Grad school is pretty much a requirement to make O-5 in the Navy, in any community.

BackOrdered

Contributor

For SWO it is a matter of timing. As Uncle Fester said, you'll need the masters to make O-5. That said, many SWOs get their masters on post DIVO shore duty or on their own time/dime while ashore later (both are very doable). Beyond that, other milestones begin to conflict and taking 18-24 month orders just to earn a master's vice other milestones becomes less and less appealing.

enlUSMC

It's SWOtastic
For SWO it is a matter of timing. As Uncle Fester said, you'll need the masters to make O-5. That said, many SWOs get their masters on post DIVO shore duty or on their own time/dime while ashore later (both are very doable). Beyond that, other milestones begin to conflict and taking 18-24 month orders just to earn a master's vice other milestones becomes less and less appealing.

Got it, thanks. That clears it up. Always thought studying at the War College would be a great opportunity, but I guess I'll figure out more down the road whether or not it's worth it.