• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

2015 Marine Aviation Plan

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
Again, this is where a SIPR AW could come in handy. There's a bit more than just "trons downrange" involved in the VAQ mission set, or in replicating the capes of the ICAP III EA-6B and/or EA-18G. But the rant that's in my head right now is classified so it's staying there.. You really can't have an intelligent discussion about the pros/cons of EW assets on AW.

Did either of you guys read the slides on EW in the powerpoint Flash posted? The EW stuff starts about slide 2.1.1 and is worth a read. The whole strategy is to switch away from a specific asset, towards an integrated, persistent, and platform agnostic capability that the MAGTF will actually control and integrate. Call me a Kool-aid drinker, but it sounds like a good plan to me.

If the Marine Prowlers always just get farmed out as a theater asset, then why is the Marine Corps doing the EW heavy lifting? If we were to start from scratch today, who out there would design a system where the smallest service (Marines) flies theater EW? Doesn't that sound like an Air Force/ Navy job?

pourts

pilot
I found some things in the Aviation Plan laughable, however.

Out of all of the items on slide 2.10.15 that it claims are the part of the current gear suite for the Tactical Air Control Party, most normal infantry battalions (mine included) only have 1 item: the PRC-117F radio.

Otherwise the document seemed pretty honest regarding aircraft shortfalls due to being out of reporting, etc.

Rugby_Guy

Livin on a Prayer
pilot
So, as a jet hopeful, I take it that it's a bad time to get selected for jets? Harriers and Hornets are cross training experienced pilots while the F35 hasn't started taking students from jet primary yet. Won't be in Pensacola for another 6 months, but I had been hoping jets would be worth a look. I don't want to build a career flying something that is going to be on the chopping block right when I hit 15 years TIS.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
So, as a jet hopeful, I take it that it's a bad time to get selected for jets? Harriers and Hornets are cross training experienced pilots while the F35 hasn't started taking students from jet primary yet. Won't be in Pensacola for another 6 months, but I had been hoping jets would be worth a look. I don't want to build a career flying something that is going to be on the chopping block right when I hit 15 years TIS.
That doesn't really matter.

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor

Harriers and Hornets cross training experienced pilots? Whaaaaat? Right now the first tour Hornet community is supposedly undermanned by 50%

81montedriver

pilot
I found some things in the Aviation Plan laughable, however.

Out of all of the items on slide 2.10.15 that it claims are the part of the current gear suite for the Tactical Air Control Party, most normal infantry battalions (mine included) only have 1 item: the PRC-117F radio.

Otherwise the document seemed pretty honest regarding aircraft shortfalls due to being out of reporting, etc.

Tell me about it. My Battalion doesn't even have a single laser at the moment

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Harriers and Hornets cross training experienced pilots? Whaaaaat? Right now the first tour Hornet community is supposedly undermanned by 50%
Take a look at the last conversion board results. They are getting heavier on harrier dudes, but there are still a lot of hornet guys going to the F-35.

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
Harriers and Hornets are cross training experienced pilots while the F35 hasn't started taking students from jet primary yet.
That sounds like a TBS rumor. Harrier & Hornet pilots are not cross training. F-35 students will be selected from Advanced (Meridian/Kingsville), not Primary.

It's not all "doom and gloom" ... I'd be more than happy to go back to flight school right now and select Marine Corps Jets. There's no better ready room, especially when deployed....

S/F

pourts

pilot
I've heard its a rough time to be a hornet pilot. Something like 100 hours a year?

Read post #3 of this thread.

The community is short of pilots, short of jets, and long on deployments. Giggity.

100 hours per year is the OPNAV minimum by the way.

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
Take a look at the last conversion board results. They are getting heavier on harrier dudes, but there are still a lot of hornet guys going to the F-35.

I thought he meant converting Harrier guys to the Hornet. If that wasn't what he meant then I will remediate myself.

81montedriver

pilot
But when you do get one, it will be a 30# PLDR from 10 years ago and not a JTAC-LTD.

Surprisingly enough we had 4 brand new PLDR's back at Lejeune. We were supposed to have 4 JTAC LTD's in our deployed account but we have yet to see them.

Semper Gumby!

robav8r

None
Contributor
...A DET of ours (VMU-2) that just got back from Afghanistan would argue with you. We aren't in the big stages yet, and we can't do much of what the Prowler can- but we were absolutely flying EW/EA type missions with the EOC Integrator ("prototype" MQ-21A). We learned a lot and are going to plug that into further development with MQ-21A's abilities with its plug and play payload.
15th MEU ???