• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Questions about AD NIOBC for Reserve Officer

rogersj00

Hi all,

I'm a Reservist who will be attending the AD NIOBC course in January and would really appreciate some insight from the community. I have read quite a bit, but there are simply too many posts to read through. So I'll pose the questions and hope for assistance. Thanks in advance.

Quick breakdown:

I am based in Germany and will be flying form OCONUS. I will not be brining my wife as she has full-time work with Lufthansa. What I was told by IDCRC staff, is that I will not have housing afforded, and will have to find my own housing, paying out of pocket. I was also told that I would not receive OHA and Family Sep despite the fact my spouse would be staying in Germany.

The first part, I can't see being true, except that I may have to secure housing through a housing office before I arrive. Also, I would have to receive cost-free housing correct?

As for the second part, I can understand that being on PCS orders would normally mean my spouse could come, but it won't be possible for us. Additionally, my brother-in-law was in the same boat 5 years ago, and was told the same thing, but he received BAH for his spouse who stayed in Chicago.

Finally, does anyone know if there is a Reserve POC for NIOBC that can assist with the whole process?

Thanks again everyone

PenguinGal

Can Do!
Contributor
From what I know of PCS orders:
1. You will not have to pay out of pocket for housing at the school. You will receive BAH for the location of the school and use that to fund your housing either off base or on base and forfeiting (most likely) all of the BAH.

2. Times have changed in the past 5 years and no longer is the Navy supportive of elective geo-baching, which is what you are planning on doing. There is no family sep pay for elective geo-baching. Due to this and the fact that your family is likely on your PCS orders to NIOBC as dependents, there is no reason for them to pay a housing allowance for where your family is located. For confirmation, see the BAH FAQ

3. There is a HUGE difference in the way BAH and OHA are handled. Refer to the regulations for more insight.

lost_in_asia

I am a reservist currently in the AD NIOBC course. To start off, in my experience, you are going to have headaches when you get here with things like this, and the standard answer will be "Oh you are a reservist." They really don't know how to handle us, and you have to be proactive and take care of a lot of stuff yourself. That being said, if you let your instructors know you are having issues, they do light fires under the TSC staff and things will get done.

In my situation, I packed up my wife and kids and brought them here and we were able to get a house on NAS Oceana. Its actually been great for us as the neighborhood is full of kids and my family doesn't want to leave to go back to the real world. The other reservists in my class left their families behind and they all are receiving BAH. I cannot imagine any circumstance where you would not receive housing payment. Most of the class is sharing apartments to pocket most of the BAH and I will just suggest that you wait to get to know everyone before choosing roommates...... One is also staying in the Navy Lodge at Dam Neck, which eats up all of the BAH, but saves you having to fight the gate traffic which is horrible (40 min - 1 hour). Your BAH will be for Virginia since you are here for 6 months.

Who exactly did you speak with regarding the issues? There are 2 civilians that are at the school house who deal with reserve training and they are the people you need to speak with.

str1ck

Please PM me with any questions. I am currently a reserve LCDR going through NIOBC. I am a career reservist so I have a lot of experience dealing with what lost in asia was talking about. Although my home is in Northern VA, I am originally from Va Beach and I can act as your unofficial Sponsor and help you out when you get here.

Chris

rogersj00

Hello everyone, thanks for the replies. My apologies for the extended radio silence, I was at home on leave and had very limited internet access.

PenguinGal, I wouldn't be surprised if you are correct. The only thing I can say that leaves me still questioning things, is that for the last two years I was on orders with AFRICOM and was in charge of brining reservists on orders for the J2. All the reservists we brought on orders were on unaccompanied orders and received either BOQ's or OHA, and also received BAH for their dependent's location. Not sure how it will work with me coming from OCONUS to the states.

lost_in_asia, I have heard much of the same regarding reservists there. One would think enough Reservists come through for them to have a working SOP to make things go more smoothly. I don't want to list any names here, but the person works for IDCRC writing quotas, not for the schoolhouse, as I understand. I was told that the information given between the two entities is not consistent. Is there a Rep for reservists there to talk to? As for those who left their dependents behind, are they only receiving BAH for Dam Neck? My brother-in-law was able to get a BOQ at Naval Air Station Oceana and received BAH for his wife's location. Not sure if I can get a BOQ or not. He wasn't advised on this, just happened to call and got a room and I guess it all worked out from there. But maybe if one can get a BOQ, then they can still receive BAH to use for their dependents

str1ck (chris), Thanks so much for the offer, I will definitely hit you up soon. I am trying to gather some more info first.

Thanks again all for he help.

Jacob

unbroken

Naval officer
Just to confirm -- we can choose our own DCO school and NIOBC (AD route) dates, assuming there is availability, correct? Or is that determined exclusively by the detailer?