• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OHARP to IFS

Cliftoff

pilot
I searched for a similar thread but couldn't find one, so here goes nothing. I'm a recent SNA OCS grad (31 OCT 2014) who was fortunate(?) enough to receive OHARP before heading down to Pensacola. I'm enjoying the light work schedule and have taken advantage of the opportunity to get some business done, but I can't help but feel like I'm wasting time. Do you ladies or gents have any advice on things to do to start preparing for IFS or API? From what I've been able to gather, IFS is basically just gaining your commercial pilots license so I've been checking out the FAA handbook, but is there anything else I should be studying? Sorry if I come across as grossly ignorant, but I know a lot of guys and gals I graduated OCS with are in the same boat, so any info would be greatly appreciated.

Whitefoot

None
From what I have read, you will not be getting your commercial pilots license. It is moreso of basic pilot's license ground school culminating in a solo flight. http://www.netc.navy.mil/NASCWEB/ats.htm
This website should give you some pretty good info on what to expect.
There is also this that I found in a "Welcome Aboard Package."
AWAITING IFS/API
INTRODUCTORY FLIGHT SCREENING (IFS)
IFS is a highly structured, fast paced course designed to provide initial aviation exposure and identify students that are unable to perform in an aviation environment. IFS is divided into two parts: the online internet ground school portion and the flying portion at an assigned fixed-based operator (FBO.) The ground school portion is taught on Jeppesen online and will take two weeks to complete. You will be expected to complete a variety of online modules, text book readings, and instructor briefings in order to pass the 4 exams and FAA exam that will occur in the ground portion. Upon completion of the ground portion, you will be expected to fly a total of eleven flights which culminate into a successful check ride and solo.
AVIATION PRE-FLIGHT INDOCTRINATION (API)
API is a 6-week school designed to teach and evaluate you on fundamental aviation concepts. API is part of the Naval Aviation Schools Command located aboard NAS Pensacola in building 633. All test questions will come from the Enabling Objectives found at the beginning of each lesson. “Gouge” may be helpful; however, this information has not been validated and may be used at your own risk. You will also be tested on physical endurance. Physical evaluation includes swimming and running. Make sure you can pass a PRT without question. Practice running on the chip trail behind BLDG 3828 since it is more difficult than running on a track. API student guides can be found online at http://www.netc.navy.mil/NASCWEB/schools.htm.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
Not sure who told you IFS is akin to a commercial pilot's license. It's probably closer to a sport pilot's license. Whitefoot's post is pretty on point. It's basically just making sure you're not completely incompetent in an airplane, e.g. petrified of flying, before they send you to flight training. Although a caveat about the "gouge," it's my understanding they switched the courses from T-34 systems to T-6, so make sure what you're getting is very recent. Live by the gouge, die by the gouge, as they say.

This FAA handbook, are you talking about the Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge? Lots of good info in there, but don't go too crazy on it, they'll tell you what to study when you get there. Things like principles of flight, aeromedical factors, and airport ops/airspace are definitely worth spending some time on though. For anyone else interested, here's the book.

If you're talking about the FAR/AIM instead, even more info, even more of which you won't need. Focus on the AIM, same basic stuff like airspace, weather, etc. But again, don't go overboard, they'll tell you what to focus on when you get there.

WEGL12

VT-28
I understand your interest in getting ahead but really studying ahead for IFS isn't practical. There is a ton of information in the FAA handbook and FAR/AIM but only 10% is actually covered in IFS. The first two weeks are academics and they point out exactly what you need to focus on. Honestly if someone can't learn the IFS ground school info in the two weeks, they will really struggle in API and even more so in primary ground school. Beware studying the wrong info for API, I doubt there is very much up to date gouge out there since the switch to the t-6 curriculum (took place in July-August timeframe according to people I have talked to).

In all seriousness best thing you can do is enjoy your time off. I know it seems like you are wasting time but honestly it's the best advice. Once you class up then you will be able to study the correct info that will be on the test. Also get used to waiting and having nothing (Navy related) to do because it happens during training. For example, I waited 8 months to class up for IFS and another 4 months to class up for primary, all the waiting was because of the pipeline being backed up. I enjoyed every second of the time off but knew once I classed up it was time to actually focus and work.

MGoBrew11

pilot
What WEGL said. Drink your face off and work out during that downtime. You'll wish you did later if you don't.

What I found through flight school is that the system is designed for students to go through it with no breaks; meaning if you have a gap in training for whatever reason, it does not need to be used for studying to get by. If you only had weekends off throughout flight school with no random days off here and there between phases you would have enough time to pass every brief/flight if you put in the effort.

croakerfish

pilot
What WEGL said. Drink your face off and work out during that downtime. You'll wish you did later if you don't.

What I found through flight school is that the system is designed for students to go through it with no breaks; meaning if you have a gap in training for whatever reason, it does not need to be used for studying to get by. If you only had weekends off throughout flight school with no random days off here and there between phases you would have enough time to pass every brief/flight if you put in the effort.

This is 100% accurate. Studying ahead for IFS and API is a complete waste of perfectly good, guilt-free time off. You won't be seeing much of that in the future. However, if you find yourself waiting around to start Primary or a later phase you should absolutely use that time to study. Fight's on and all that.

texags

pilot
Gauge your own study habits. If you needed to study your ass in college just to make a C, then you might want to start getting ahead for API now. The majority of people do just fine without studying ahead of time. I personally got the pubs ahead of time and spent maybe an hour a day skimming them in the few weeks I had before API. It was probably overkill but it made me more confident at least.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
A commercial license is not something you"ll be eligible for until you earn your wings.

Cliftoff

pilot
Thanks for the responses everyone, I guess I just needed a little validation to continue relaxing and drinking my face off. Also, thanks for the correction on the whole commercial licensing deal, I'm apparently already running into bad gouge. On a side note, did anyone else get the distinct feeling that OCS was catered towards the SWOs at the expense of all the other designators? Maybe this is my fault, but I feel like I graduated OCS not knowing much more about naval aviation than when I went in. Anyways, enough bitching for now, thanks again for the help fellas.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I read the API intro letter on there for shits and giggles. Nice job NASC staff for making "Lead Ensign" an officially titled position...

PenguinGal

Can Do!
Contributor
On a side note, did anyone else get the distinct feeling that OCS was catered towards the SWOs at the expense of all the other designators? .

Well...Surface based Navy has been keeping the watch since 13OCT1775 while Naval Aviation is a much younger brother having only gotten on the watchbill back on 8May1911. Anyone who is a younger sibling knows that the oldest ALWAYS gets the most attention. ;)

WEGL12

VT-28
@Cliftoff, I meant to put this in my first post. If you are looking to minimize the time it takes to complete IFS, try to select Milton (trident) if its available. Normally no one wants it but everyone I knew that went there finished in 25-30 days. The schools in Gulf Shores and Foley seem to be effected more by high winds especially in the spring. Took several people including myself 60+ days finish solely because of weather/wind.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
On a side note, did anyone else get the distinct feeling that OCS was catered towards the SWOs at the expense of all the other designators? Maybe this is my fault, but I feel like I graduated OCS not knowing much more about naval aviation than when I went in. Anyways, enough bitching for now, thanks again for the help fellas.

Marine OCS is all infantry. For the most part so is TBS. At the heart of the matter all unrestricted officer Navy types in theory could skipper a boat, just as all Officers of Marines could command a provisional rifle platoon. That's what draws you together with every other Naval Officer, and why it is the heart of your initial training and evaluation.

Enjoy your boozehounding!

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
On a side note, did anyone else get the distinct feeling that OCS was catered towards the SWOs at the expense of all the other designators? Maybe this is my fault, but I feel like I graduated OCS not knowing much more about naval aviation than when I went in. Anyways, enough bitching for now, thanks again for the help fellas.

I would guess this is still a side effect of OCS historically being for non-aviation programs while aviators went through AOCS. I didn't go through either, so I can't comment on the difference, but I can say that most of the NROTC curriculum is geared towards non-aviation, as well, with the exception of some weapon system stuff. Think of flight school as a post-grad degree, or at the very least, college upper division work for your degree.

utswimmer37

"Descent Planning"
pilot
@Cliftoff, I meant to put this in my first post. If you are looking to minimize the time it takes to complete IFS, try to select Milton (trident) if its available. Normally no one wants it but everyone I knew that went there finished in 25-30 days. The schools in Gulf Shores and Foley seem to be effected more by high winds especially in the spring. Took several people including myself 60+ days finish solely because of weather/wind.
reporting 06 feb and IFS is slotted for 02 mar, when do you select your IFS location? Should I be in communication with someone before hand or just throw my name in the hat when I report?