• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS Holiday Routine 2014

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
The OCS Holiday routine runs from end of training on 19 December 2014 until 0430hrs on 5 January 2015. The period is broken down for the students to take leave in two periods:

-First is at the conclusion of training (roughly 1700hrs) on 19 Dec until 2359hrs on 26 Dec.
-Second is from 0800 on 26 Dec until 2359hrs on 4 Jan 2015.

Note: There is a class (08-15) that arrives on Sunday, 14 December 2014. They WILL be permitted to take either of those weeks to return home if they so choose.

Word of warning: Going home can make yourself realize they hate to be away from family, so may lead to increased attrition. We lost at least one last year the day he got back from leave.

varlogkern

Frozen Hellscape Survivor
Okay I'll be the one to ask the noob question. What happens if you would rather not take leave? Or is that even an option?

croakerfish

pilot
Okay I'll be the one to ask the noob question. What happens if you would rather not take leave? Or is that even an option?

Yes, you'll just have random duty and lots of liberty. My classmates who stayed said it was pretty nice. No training occurs, so no Class Team harassment to worry about...

RiseR 25

Staying on the base might also not be a good option. You will be put to work if you choose to stay. The ones that took both weeks last year were very refreshed when they came back. I'd say it depends on the person.

Que3n

pilot
The OCS Holiday routine runs from end of training on 19 December 2014 until 0430hrs on 5 January 2015. The period is broken down for the students to take leave in two periods:

-First is at the conclusion of training (roughly 1700hrs) on 19 Dec until 2359hrs on 26 Dec.

Note: There is a class (08-15) that arrives on Sunday, 14 December 2014. They WILL be permitted to take either of those weeks to return home if they so choose.

Word of warning: Going home can make yourself realize they hate to be away from family, so may lead to increased attrition. We lost at least one last year the day he got back from leave.

Thank you for the information, Rufio - I am in 08-15 and if I want to plan travel back home for the second period of the leave, at what point is it safe to book an airline flight? Do we need to wait until we get up there? Thank you in advance.

Cumulo Nimbus

For what it's worth, last year, priors with enough leave on the books were allowed to take both weeks. No idea if that'll be the case this year, though.

I would hope that the holiday standdown doesn't start until 1600. It'd suck to spend christmas as an indoc because Welcome Aboard got moved until after New Years.

Catharine May

Staying on the base might also not be a good option. You will be put to work if you choose to stay. The ones that took both weeks last year were very refreshed when they came back. I'd say it depends on the person.
That's if you have the money to return home. Staying on base might be a great option if you don't have the funds to go home basically a week or two after you left.

MGoBrew11

pilot
A week of leave, followed by a week home, followed by 11 weeks of OCS. Ouch. I do not envy that class.

Cap'America13

OCS: Indoctrination Candidate Phase
I will be there DEC 14 and have already made the decision to stay during the two weeks. From what I understand since I'll be an indoc, I will not be able to take any liberty to go off the base to see Newport and such. Is this correct or is there any hope of being able to leave at all?

Just as Rufio mentioned...it'll be nice to stay in the mindset, get to know the base and your hatch-mates/classmates (at least the ones who stay) and such during the stand-down and definetely study with all the free time we'll have lol

tdogsmith

Dangle Meistro
I plan on staying the entire two weeks as well. No sense going in the negative with leave with only a week of training under my belt.

Will we have access to a gym or any other recreational facilities? Can't say I plan on doing anything but working out and studying during the holiday.

RiseR 25

That's if you have the money to return home. Staying on base might be a great option if you don't have the funds to go home basically a week or two after you left.

Right, financially it is better to stay on the base. I guess my point didn't come across. PM me if you want to know why it's not a good idea. Just trying to add to the discussion because I was part of the class last year that had this exact same issue.

RiseR 25

The guy that quit when he returned from leave ultimately decided he did not want to serve as an officer, he already liked his enlisted career in the Navy. If we are in fact talking about the same person. He also had a medical test that would not have been favorable with NAMI. Had nothing to do with homesickness FYI

Mr Spenz

"Your brief saved your flight' - every IP
pilot
The guy that quit when he returned from leave ultimately decided he did not want to serve as an officer, he already liked his enlisted career in the Navy. If we are in fact talking about the same person. He also had a medical test that would not have been favorable with NAMI. Had nothing to do with homesickness FYI
There were more than one attrite during the xmas leave.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
So how does that work? Say you have a day or two of leave on the books, take a week of leave (which is perfectly legal), then come back and quit. Does the Navy just eat the debt or do you have to pay it back?