• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marine Infantry Officer course prior to attending flight school

MarcusAurelius

Stop messing with my OODA Loop
I have the opportunity to attend IOC this January and have two days to decide if I want to take it. It's pretty much just for experience as I would apparently check into pensacola after completion and not take over a grunt platoon or anything. The logical part of my brain tells me that my time would be better spent drinking beer on the beach in florida however a large part still thinks it would be an awesome experience. Have I ingested too much cool-aide? Would I be making myself a more well rounded Marine or am I just risking getting injured for nothing?

If anyone can give me some pros & cons or insight it would be greatly appreciated.

Semper Fi.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
A very good friend of mine went to IOC, led a platoon in Afganistan, and then went to flight school. We winged together in June. Aside from the terrible fortune of being an single Captain raking in O-3 pay during jet VTs, he loved every minute of it.

As for making you a better Marine...depends on how you look at it. He was very mature, had a ton if great stories and leadership experience, and was well respected by the IPs.

On the flip side...he's pretty far behind in his career. He was a Capt for a year before he winged, setting him pretty far behind on the career path. he will have been a Capt for over two years by the time he makes it to the fleet. Maybe things would've been a little different if he went helos, but I'll defer to the Marine side of the house for the career implications.

He's not the only one I know either...during my time (2011-2013) I met several Marines in jet land who took this path.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
^^Read his post again dude.

It's only 10 weeks, so as long as you don't get hurt it's not a big deal either way- you're not going to be behind. The bigger question is if you want to be a grunt if for some reason you don't make it early on in flight school.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Just a quick add-on...first, let me apologize for all the typos in my first post. I hate typing on my phone.

Secondly, I would be wary of the "wanna go to IOC? We PROMISE we'll send you to flight school right after."

In my limited experience with the Corps, they really mean "right after you give us a platoon commander tour..."

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Secondly, I would be wary of the "wanna go to IOC? We PROMISE we'll send you to flight school right after."In my limited experience with the Corps, they really mean "right after you give us a platoon commander tour..."
^^^ This

LFDtoUSMC

pilot
Contributor
I would be wary of the "wanna go to IOC? We PROMISE we'll send you to flight school right after."

In my limited experience with the Corps, they really mean "right after you give us a platoon commander tour..."

Not happening right now. The last few companies coming out of TBS that have had volunteers go to IOC have all (minus 1 special case) come right down to MATSG-21 after IOC. Could that change tomorrow? Yes. But as of right now we are short bodies. Sort-of.

The bigger question is if you want to be a grunt if for some reason you don't make it early on in flight school.

^^This.

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
Just a quick add-on...first, let me apologize for all the typos in my first post. I hate typing on my phone.

Secondly, I would be wary of the "wanna go to IOC? We PROMISE we'll send you to flight school right after."

The Marine Corps has been offering up IOC slots to 2nd Lt's out of TBS with aviation contracts for a long time. It wasn't until recently that those completing IOC was given a chance to go forward to Afghanistan (and maybe elsewhere?) but that was due to the MC need for Plt Commander's and the back log of students waiting API. I believe that program is over and it's back to the way it used to be... you finish up IOC and you go to Pensacola. The difference is your peers will have 10-12 more weeks more of boozing that you or maybe have already started API while you are just now in the pool. It'll put the IOC Marine back maybe 3-4 months over his/her peers.

IMO, I don't think going to IOC helps much over a Marine aviator who doesn't go. You're not going to get promoted any faster than your peers because you went to IOC. I'm prior enlisted infantry so I had zero desire to go to IOC after TBS but if it's something you want to do, do it up!

S/F

Criminal

God's personal hacky sack
pilot
You should go to see a doctor, your logic compass is all fucked up. That sounds like one of the worst ideas ever. If you want a challenge in life, go to pcola and not party your ass off and/or get laid.

Hotdogs

I don’t care if I hurt your feelings
pilot

Not going to happen. The Infantry much like the Aviation do not want officers in the community who do not want to be there and are obligated by contract to be some where else. Injury risk is always an issue but probably not a huge one barring a major one requiring a NAMI waiver. Good thing about it is that if you graduate and are awarded the MOS, you already have a fallback MOS in case you don't make it through flight school. I don't think it will add much to the "well-rounded" Marine concept unless you get some operational experience executing that MOS. While it is IOC and much different from other MOS schools, it is still TECOM and will have many levels of TECOMisms that don't translate to the fleet.

My overall opinion: What do you want to do in the Marine Corps? Fly or be grunt? Nobody in Marine Aviation will care much about your experience at IOC, except a "thats cool...how was it?" everyone in awhile.

b0pric01

pilot
Crazy, I asked if this was possible in 2011 and was told no (which I was fairly relieved by at the end of TBS). I don't really regret not having the opportunity because I heard a lot of guys getting injured there, but I think it would be cool to say you did it.