• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

nf_utvol

Platinum Ensign
When I went through, I just got a room in town through Hotwire. Cheaper, and one less night spent confined to a few acres of sweat and screaming DIs.

And don't show up too late, but not too early either. The earlier you show up, the more time the Candi-O's have to screw with you. But don't be that guy rolling in at the last minute, either. Like everything else at OCS, being in the middle of the pack isn't a bad thing.

mike23!

Sorry to throw in something thats off topic but, for active duty applicants. Do we only need to fill out the 1420/1 or do we need to fill out the NC 1131/238 that is listed on the OCS checklist? Both seem to have the same questions. The instruction only lists the 1420. Thanks for the help.

AT2toNFO

Muskrat
None
I know this is a small detail/minutia question, but when you show up at the seawall, how do you address the Candi-Os? Yes sir/m'am? Ballistic or no? Attention or not? Semi-familiarity or staunch military bearing? Eye contact or 1,000 yd stare? I did try to search for this answer, but found nothing under Navy OCS regarding the addressing of Candi-Os, behavior at the seawall, etc. I am concentrating on the things that really matter such as Apend B, physical conditioning, not getting broken, staying out of trouble, drinking beer, chasing women, etc., but I feel as a prior I should know more and have superior military bearing to the young men and women not far from their mothers bosom. I have found 98% of my answers through the search function but this one has me stumped. Thanks in advance.

P.S. Should I change my signature to resemble an EVAL...? :rolleyes:

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
I know this is a small detail/minutia question, but when you show up at the seawall, how do you address the Candi-Os? Yes sir/m'am? Ballistic or no? Attention or not? Semi-familiarity or staunch military bearing? Eye contact or 1,000 yd stare? I did try to search for this answer, but found nothing under Navy OCS regarding the addressing of Candi-Os, behavior at the seawall, etc. I am concentrating on the things that really matter such as Apend B, physical conditioning, not getting broken, staying out of trouble, drinking beer, chasing women, etc., but I feel as a prior I should know more and have superior military bearing to the young men and women not far from their mothers bosom. I have found 98% of my answers through the search function but this one has me stumped. Thanks in advance.

P.S. Should I change my signature to resemble an EVAL...? :rolleyes:
Treat them normally starting out. You can use sir/ma'am, but normal voice, no thousand-yard stare. no snapping to attention or anything like that. They'll let you know when they want you to start doing otherwise.

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
As I once said to an indoc who asked me about when to start following all the rules being asked about (and went on to be a member of my intel school class and a friend) "It will become very apparent."

On that note, keep in mind that folks at OCS of all classes will eventually become friends, classmates, etc afterwards.

Silhouette

Sorry to throw in something thats off topic but, for active duty applicants. Do we only need to fill out the 1420/1 or do we need to fill out the NC 1131/238 that is listed on the OCS checklist? Both seem to have the same questions. The instruction only lists the 1420. Thanks for the help.
Mike, I wish I could give you a more definitive answer, but I am pretty sure I remember filling out both of those forms even though they seemed redundant. Unfortunately, I couldn't find my copies of all the documents to confirm. Caveat: I was Marine Corps to Navy (but I imagine that aspect would be the same for Navy-Navy)

mike23!

Mike, I wish I could give you a more definitive answer, but I am pretty sure I remember filling out both of those forms even though they seemed redundant. Unfortunately, I couldn't find my copies of all the documents to confirm. Caveat: I was Marine Corps to Navy (but I imagine that aspect would be the same for Navy-Navy)
Good to go, I went ahead and filled out both like you had mentioned just to be on the safe side. Thanks for the advice.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
I would like to nominate @Tycho_Brohe for most helpful person on AW. Almost every question I have looked for or asked on this forum you have given an outstanding answer too. Thank you for the support sir and I look forward to meeting you one day in the fleet!
Thanks, looking forward to it as well. If you happen to find yourself in the Corpus area before March 13th (probably not, since you'll commission in January), or in Jax (or possibly Whidbey or wherever the Navy feels like sending me) after that, feel free to hit me up and we can get a drink.

Thanks, looking forward to it as well. If you happen to find yourself in the Corpus area before March 13th (probably not, since you'll commission in January), or in Jax (or possibly Whidbey or wherever the Navy feels like sending me) after that, feel free to hit me up and we can get a drink.

That sounds good, I'm sure we will end up in the same place one day in the future. I'm trying to go the jet route through the pipeline so if your intentions and of course "hopefully" the Navy's are the same then I'm sure we'll meet.

Catharine May

Ok, so someone here said they brought a retainer and they didn't confiscate it. Is that still true? And another question: will they have someone remove my "permanent" retainers when I'm there at medical/dental? Also, are we allowed to bring our own lotion, as I have seen nothing about lotion in the toiletries list. Any help is appreciated.

mike23!

For us active duty applicants, will our commands find out the results of the board before the member does or will it post on BOL first?