• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY15 DCO PAO

Veritas

ENS, PAO
I've found this forum to be incredibly useful while going through the DCO application process. After over a year, it appears my package is finally going in front of the FY15 PAO board on 20 October.

As it has been a while since someone started a PAO thread, I figured we should get a conversation going for those at the FY15 board or those looking for info on the PAO process.

Here's my general rundown:

Ivy League bachelors degree (3.8 GPA);
Masters degree in Film and Television from a top west coast school (3.7 GPA);
Los Angeles-based television producer with several years experience leading teams;
Numerous industry awards;
Community Interviews: O-6, O-5, O-5 (10's);
LOR's from academics, military officers, and industry leaders;
Several years of volunteer experience with major charities;
Board of Directors for a 501(c)(3);
Solid (I think) motivational statement indicating desire to tell the Navy Story;
Family history (father was a Navy PAO/USNA grad).

Of course I have no idea how any of this measures up, but my OR seems to think I'm competitive. The word is that they have been seeing a lot of DC-centric PAO applicants lately and are looking for some outside the box folks, particularly from the west coast. Hoping this means my media/entertainment profile will still be competitive alongside the titans of corporate PR. The O-6 I interviewed with runs the Navy's Hollywood liaison office, which would obviously be a great fit.

In any event, best of luck to everyone in the mix! Hoping we all get great news in a couple months.

Veritas

ENS, PAO
Found out that I was selected for DCO PAO at the October board. The board met on Monday the 20th, and my OR called with the news on Thursday the 23rd. I'm excited to begin my Navy adventure!

I was told there were 16 applications that made it to the board, and five were selected. I was surprised at the low number of applicants, though I know they have put a lot more obstacles in front of people in the last year just get to board (MEPS being one, increased standards being another).

It looks like I'll have a couple options for my billet, one being in San Diego. I'd love to hear from others in the same boat, or folks who can offer advice with next steps.

And of course, feel free to ask away if you have questions about the process to this point. PAO is a small community, but I've found AW to be an great resource and I'd be happy to share my experiences if there are a few folks looking for info.

Motivated21

Trying for DCO PAO Community
I've found this forum to be incredibly useful while going through the DCO application process. After over a year, it appears my package is finally going in front of the FY15 PAO board on 20 October.

As it has been a while since someone started a PAO thread, I figured we should get a conversation going for those at the FY15 board or those looking for info on the PAO process.

Here's my general rundown:

Ivy League bachelors degree (3.8 GPA);
Masters degree in Film and Television from a top west coast school (3.7 GPA);
Los Angeles-based television producer with several years experience leading teams;
Numerous industry awards;
Community Interviews: O-6, O-5, O-5 (10's);
LOR's from academics, military officers, and industry leaders;
Several years of volunteer experience with major charities;
Board of Directors for a 501(c)(3);
Solid (I think) motivational statement indicating desire to tell the Navy Story;
Family history (father was a Navy PAO/USNA grad).

Of course I have no idea how any of this measures up, but my OR seems to think I'm competitive. The word is that they have been seeing a lot of DC-centric PAO applicants lately and are looking for some outside the box folks, particularly from the west coast. Hoping this means my media/entertainment profile will still be competitive alongside the titans of corporate PR. The O-6 I interviewed with runs the Navy's Hollywood liaison office, which would obviously be a great fit.

In any event, best of luck to everyone in the mix! Hoping we all get great news in a couple months.

Motivated21

Trying for DCO PAO Community
Congrats upon being a DCO PAO Selectee!!

I want to have the same news to share, and need some help with how to become a DCO PAO selectee.

Currently, I am going through the DCO PAO recruiting process... And the next steps will be to schedule interviews... My recruiter is great regarding any next steps (as they come up)... However, I want to make sure my Kit is as strong as possible.

Thanks in advance for any advice and or help!

Veritas

ENS, PAO
Thanks, Motivated! My COMDOCS are in and I'm scheduled to commission this Thursday 1/15.

I'll reply to your questions in your other thread.

rotorhead1871

UH-1N.....NAS Agana, Guam....circa 1975
pilot
Found out that I was selected for DCO PAO at the October board. The board met on Monday the 20th, and my OR called with the news on Thursday the 23rd. I'm excited to begin my Navy adventure!

I was told there were 16 applications that made it to the board, and five were selected. I was surprised at the low number of applicants, though I know they have put a lot more obstacles in front of people in the last year just get to board (MEPS being one, increased standards being another).

It looks like I'll have a couple options for my billet, one being in San Diego. I'd love to hear from others in the same boat, or folks who can offer advice with next steps.

And of course, feel free to ask away if you have questions about the process to this point. PAO is a small community, but I've found AW to be an great resource and I'd be happy to share my experiences if there are a few folks looking for info.

what is the BUNO of that T28??? I may have flown it....VT5....1972....NAS Saufley.....

rotorhead1871

pilot
BTW......congrats!!.....i was just overcome with nostalgia........now back to the american hero's channel.....

Veritas

ENS, PAO
what is the BUNO of that T28??? I may have flown it....VT5....1972....NAS Saufley.....

It looks to be 140528. That's actually my dad flying. I believe he was at VT-5 in 1972 as well! His name is Joe Slattery ("Slats"), in case you remember him.

BTW......congrats!!.....i was just overcome with nostalgia........now back to the american hero's channel.....

Thank you! Really excited to carry on what my dad started.

rotorhead1871

pilot
I do not remember him......and you are totally dating me.....I will check my log book!!

give him my best!...

and congrats to you again! my last duty before retiring was at NAVSTA Puget sound, (Seattle) and we had a great PAO guy who was also a news guy for KING -TV.

Ahhhhh....all good stuff!