• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Lied on DodMERB medical, dropped AFROTC, questions on Navy OCS slot

kingneptune117

since you were not booted over this just tell the truth on the new forms, DODMERB does not interact with MEPS where you will get a physical.

don't worry about what you cannot change, move forward with the accurate info.

you will have to get your psych documents and will probably have to go through at least one consult.

Thanks for the response. Just to be sure, I emailed DoDMERB about this issue. I already feel better about this. It is best this way in case I decide to purse a career with the ANG or AF through OTS.

kingneptune117

All,

I received a response back from the kind folks at DoDMERB. As it turns out, that DoDMERB exam is expired. The lady that I spoke with suggested that I simply provide a memo to my detachment stating that these omissions were made and that I would like that memo to be stored in my medical file.

EDIT: I just received another response. She said I should not have an issue with going into the military again since I came forward about this issue. She put the email on my file so that if there are questions in the future. Thank you all so much for the help! Now I can start fresh.

Last edited:

exNavyOffRec

All,

I received a response back from the kind folks at DoDMERB. As it turns out, that DoDMERB exam is expired. The lady that I spoke with suggested that I simply provide a memo to my detachment stating that these omissions were made and that I would like that memo to be stored in my medical file.

EDIT: I just received another response. She said I should not have an issue with going into the military again since I came forward about this issue. She put the email on my file so that if there are questions in the future. Thank you all so much for the help! Now I can start fresh.

Just move forward, the memo she put in your file will never be seen by anyone as DODMERB has nothing to do with enlistment.

I would concentrate of studying for the officer exams and figuring out what you want to do, in general getting into the USMC and USN for aviation via OCS is easier than getting into aviation for the USAF via OTS just because of the number of spots they tend to all allocate to non academy and non ROTC personnel.

A7Dave

pilot
At all times.

Maybe. But if you're totally up front about it, hopefully not. One way to approach this is: "Hello sir/ma'am - I'm happy to start working on part ___ of my physical. Before we go any further with this, I want to point out an inconsistency you might note between physicals X and Y. I made the mistake of following some bad advice I got from the leadership at my former AFROTC unit, and I omitted items A, B, and C from my personal history on physical X. I recognize it was my own mistake to follow that advice and withhold information, but there it is."

This is it. This is what you should do.

enlUSMC

It's SWOtastic
Hi all,

I am currently a senior in mechanical engineering at my university. Freshman year I was in AFROTC, which I enjoyed. When it came time to take the DodMERB, my Det Commander as well as some of the other cadre pulled me aside and told me that I have to lie about taking ADD and anxiety meds in the past. I had gotten off these meds during my senior year in high school, and I have performed extremely well in college since. They told me that if I put them down I would never get into the service. After a lot of moral debate, I took their advice and lied about it. I passed the DodMERB.

However, after my freshman year I decided to drop AFROTC. It was weighing down heavily on my school work, and I did not like how I would not know my role in the AF until I committed myself to service.

I am now considering going for Navy or AF OCS after college. However, I do not want to lie about my medication use again. My concern is that if I choose to put down the meds this time around, they will look at my past DodMERB and see that different information is on both. On the one I would take in the future I would be saying I was on meds, and on the first DodMERB I said I wasn't. I read on the form that if you lie on these you can be subjected to a $10,000 fine and never be allowed to serve. Will they actually look back at my past DodMERB? Another concern I have is that they will not even send me for another DodMERB and just use my past one, which has the false info on it.

I am confident that I can obtain a waiver for this past medication use. I have demonstrated academic excellence since getting off of them, and I have performed well in several engineering internships.

Basically my question is, if I tell the truth on the next military medical I take, will they somehow find out I lied on a past one and penalize me for that?

Obviously I should not have done this, but I was under a lot of pressure from the cadre to falsify this information. They said that these meds were clearly a non factor for me, and that almost all the cadets do not put everything down since they would get denied. What is the best course of action here? Thank you very much for your time.

I've seen this first-hand in the military, but with less serious med issues. What I've seen work is to simply, on your next med form, list the correct information. PAST med issues may not be an issue--CURRENT (think asthma, pins in your joints, etc) should make one sweat if they were not revealed at MEPS.

Every medical issue is different. I doubt you'll get a fine. Medical frauds are common (but not right) and the worst repercussion is to just discharge the person and be done with it.

Last edited:

exNavyOffRec

I've seen this first-hand in the military, but with less serious med issues. What I've seen work is to simply, on your next med form, list the correct information. PAST med issues may not be an issue--CURRENT (think asthma, pins in your joints, etc) should make one sweat if they were not revealed at MEPS.

Every medical issue is different. I doubt you'll get a fine. Medical frauds are common (but not right) and the worst repercussion is to just discharge the person and be done with it.

I have seen several kicked out for past medical issues that were disclosed later on, it is called "fraudulent enlistment" it doesn't have to be a big issue either.

enlUSMC

It's SWOtastic
I have seen several kicked out for past medical issues that were disclosed later on, it is called "fraudulent enlistment" it doesn't have to be a big issue either.
I know, I've seen it go both ways. Applicants always need to be transparent