• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Guitars and such...

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Meh, live for the present, they'll probably all be illegal in the future... so you don't shoot yourself/drown/alcohol overdose/or strum yourself to death... before the inevitable asteroid collision!:eek:
BzB, chillin' :cool:

Spoken like a man who knows a thing or two about flipping the reaper the bird.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
BzB that wasn't you at hook a couple of years ago asking about the asteroid and what the navy was planning to do about it at the Flag conference?

dotonfire

Always interesting to see who plays and what they're playing. Here's a little peek inside my musical playground. :D Mostly play the white Ibanez JS1000 through the JSX half stack & FX looped through the big rack of nonsense I've acquired over the years. TC Electronic G-Major does most of my FX these days though.

Somebody's a big Satch and Vai fan!

jtmedli

pilot
Decided while on deployment I was either going to learn a new language or learn a new instrument. Started playing guitar about a month ago on just a cheap starter set and I'm already eyeballing more expensive stuff.

Between this, guns, scuba diving, and wine I'm totally messing up planning for my future.

It really is just as addictive. Guitars and Guns are BIG money pits.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
BzB that wasn't you at hook a couple of years ago asking about the asteroid and what the navy was planning to do about it at the Flag conference?
Wasn't me, had to cancel out of that one, was recovering from surgery.:(
BzB

Lawman

None
Yeah it's an old thread... But happy early birthday to me.

I love this thing. It plays so much cleaner and faster than the cheap starter kit guitar I've been slamming my hand against trying to make noise with.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 37

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah it's an old thread... But happy early birthday to me.

I love this thing. It plays so much cleaner and faster than the cheap starter kit guitar I've been slamming my hand against trying to make noise with.
Nice axe!

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Just started playing an Epiphone D-100 in February...it's like the awesomest $75 guitar you can buy :)

Anyway, looking to get an Epiphone Les Custom Pro from guitar center (used of course) and wonder what the recommendations are for amps and pedals? Would it be cool to just get an effects board, or do you really need separate pedals?

Just plinking at the house, don't really think I need more than 2X12 50W...even that seems like a lot to me.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Depends on what kind of music you play. I've been using a 120W JSX head with a 4x10, and it's super versatile, but they make a couple combo types that sound great. Most of the Peavey head designs I've played over the past 10 years have been really impressive. I have an older marshall JCM-900 that I don't even use anymore because it just can't deliver like the JSX in terms of gain. Line 6 makes some good stuff at a bit of a lower price point.

The advantage of getting a couple pedals is that they're pretty simple to use, particularly if the music you're playing isn't very effects intensive. Rack mount effects gear can get overwhelming in their complexity and diffferent configuration options if you want to venture beyond the factory presets. Also might want to consider how/if you'll play this thing aboard ship. I've lugged around a 2x10 combo on several cruises, but I think a headphone based setup is what I'll use in the future. There are some great effects that you can play right into your headphones (like the POD series from Line 6).

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Yeah, I was pretty overwhelmed when I started reading about all the different pedals you can string together. I don't really know anything about it, except that I like the Les Paul sound. I do however enjoy blues style guitar like John Mayer and Hendrix...probably will have to get a Strat one day in the future as well.

Mostly everything from Foo Fighters (pretty clean, a little distortion) as well as heavier stuff like Metallica, Creed, and Staind. I haven't worked my way up to solos yet, but am slowly working towards different tunings, especially Eb and D.

I don't think I need anything fancy, probably gonna go with some type of used Marshall combo (tubes if I can afford it). Definitely gonna stay below $500 until I get good enough to need something else.

OscarMyers

None
Do you guys have any experience with travel guitars? Last one I had was a Fernandez and it had to be plugged into the wall or used with a ton of batteries. Probably will be using it with a VOX amPlug or headphones amp. Something boat friendly and reasonably priced. My rig at home is a Les Paul with a Fender hot rod deville and a line 6 spider II.

FleetR

I always picked on an Ukulele during cruises, It was about the only thing that would fit in my locker. Pineapple Fleet days. Kala made with Koa and inlayed with mother of pearl.