• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How competitive am I for NROTC (Marine pilot)

Robbie

Here are my specifications:

-10th grade
-3.22 GPA unweighted 3.4 GPA weighted (Honors Algebra 1 freshman year).
-Haven't taken the ACT but shooting for a 28ish
-I am on Varsity track and field and I have a Varsity Letter
-100+ community service hours
-FCA Leadership committee
-Martial Arts for 6 years, got my black belt and became a junior instructor
-Going to get a job once I turn 16 years old

I plan to increase my gpa to about at 3.8 maybe a 3.9 and take more Honors/AP classes by the time I apply for the scholarship. Would it be to my benefit to get my PPL if I want to be a pilot in the Marine Corps? Any insight, suggestions or info would be greatly apprecaited! Thanks so much for your time!

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Don't know if USMC option follows Navy standard but SAT scores over 1300 and a weighted GPA of 3.7 and higher will make you considered competitive for the program. Almost forgot, combined ACT score needs to be at or above a 52 as well.

Robbie

Don't know if USMC option follows Navy standard but SAT scores over 1300 and a weighted GPA of 3.7 and higher will make you considered competitive for the program. Almost forgot, combined ACT score needs to be at or above a 52 as well.
Thank you for the reply. Was beginning to think this thread wasn't going to get any love haha.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Just remember that none of your high school stuff will matter for selecting aviation. That will all be based on your performance in college and as a midshipman. Focus on getting the scholarship first and getting into college first.

A7Dave

pilot
Just remember that none of your high school stuff will matter for selecting aviation. That will all be based on your performance in college and as a midshipman. Focus on getting the scholarship first and getting into college first.

Concur. Don't waste your money on a pilot's license - put it into ACT/SAT prep courses. The Navy/Marines will be more concerned with your GPA, SAT/ACT, AQTFAR and leadership skills. Are you in any other high school team sports?

(Roughly) where do you live? You may be a good candidate for the Naval Academy. Some places are easier than others to get a nomination.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
PT is very important to Marines when selecting a scholarship student. How many pull up and how many sit ups can you do in 2 minutes? Hint: you are aiming for 100 sit ups in 2 minutes and 20 pull ups in 2 minutes.....get busy.

Robbie

Concur. Don't waste your money on a pilot's license - put it into ACT/SAT prep courses. The Navy/Marines will be more concerned with your GPA, SAT/ACT, AQTFAR and leadership skills. Are you in any other high school team sports?

(Roughly) where do you live? You may be a good candidate for the Naval Academy. Some places are easier than others to get a nomination.
I am not in any other sports besides track and field and I live in Southern California

Robbie

My main goal is to get the scholarship first and I am working on my pull-ups and the run. My sit-ups are pretty good right at the moment but I am not slacking on them to spend more time on the run/pullups.

A7Dave

pilot
I am not in any other sports besides track and field and I live in Southern California

Oooh, SoCal. A lot of competition for an academy nomination - still, you should go through the application process - it will sharpen your focus. In fact, I don't know if they'll talk to you as a 10th grader, but you could call/email the Naval Academy Liaison Officer (Blue and Gold Officer?) in your area and ask him/her to review your qualifications and what you could do to improve your chances. Whether or not you want to go to the Academy, at this point, you should explore the possibility:

http://www.usna.edu/Admissions/BGO/

Maybe I'm out of date, but don't you mean ACT at or above 32 instead of 52?

FormerRecruitingGuru

Oooh, SoCal. A lot of competition for an academy nomination - still, you should go through the application process - it will sharpen your focus. In fact, I don't know if they'll talk to you as a 10th grader, but you could call/email the Naval Academy Liaison Officer (Blue and Gold Officer?) in your area and ask him/her to review your qualifications and what you could do to improve your chances. Whether or not you want to go to the Academy, at this point, you should explore the possibility:

Combined math and reading scores.

Robbie

Thanks so much for the reply. I was planning on going through the process anyway just for the experience. If I got accepted I would probably say yes. I just heard that it is easier to get a pilot slot through ROTC, but if I am wrong please correct me.

User1993

Hopefully nobody minds if I jump in here with a slightly similar question.

But I've heard that if you aren't awarded a scholarship and you enter the program as a college programmer, you have a better shot at picking up a 3/2 year scholarship the next year. As opposed to if you just stayed out of the program and applied for the scholarship next year.

Now you may be wondering who would apply for it, not get it, then NOT try joining as a college programmer? My answer: someone who is attending a community college and not sure if shelling out the money needed for a year at the university (as opposed to paying less at their current school) is worth it. If there were no advantage I'd do my second year at the community college apply again, and if denied I'd transfer anyway complete my degree and apply to ocs directly my senior year.

What would you recommend?

I appreciate your response.

A7Dave

pilot
I'm not sure what the answer is to your question, tony. Saving money at the Community College is above average headwork in my book. If you have a NROTC college in mind, is it nearby? If so, call them up and go talk to them. They should be able to answer your questions directly. Always talk to an officer, not the local recruiter who is there to fill enlisted slots and will not know (usually) what you need.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Hopefully nobody minds if I jump in here with a slightly similar question.

But I've heard that if you aren't awarded a scholarship and you enter the program as a college programmer, you have a better shot at picking up a 3/2 year scholarship the next year. As opposed to if you just stayed out of the program and applied for the scholarship next year.

Now you may be wondering who would apply for it, not get it, then NOT try joining as a college programmer? My answer: someone who is attending a community college and not sure if shelling out the money needed for a year at the university (as opposed to paying less at their current school) is worth it. If there were no advantage I'd do my second year at the community college apply again, and if denied I'd transfer anyway complete my degree and apply to ocs directly my senior year.

What would you recommend?

I appreciate your response.

You can't apply for a 2/3 year scholarship without actually being in the NROTC Battalion (as a College Programmer/Walk on).

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You can't apply for a 2/3 year scholarship without actually being in the NROTC Battalion (as a College Programmer/Walk on).
I thought they still did the 2-year college program deal. Go to NSI, then off to NROTC as a Junior getting paid only the stipend.