• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

EOD Officer?

Kyle Small

I originally joined this site to find out more information about becoming an Intel officer, but I would like to find out more information about becoming an Navy EOD officer. Is it as selective as Intel? What are the training requirements? I also welcome any general feedback.

Sheepdip

Contributor
It is far, far.....far far far far more selective than intel. Maybe 1 or 2 for OCS per year and I believe they are generally all prior enlisted EOD.

Kyle Small

Oh, very interesting. Is it because of the extensive training? What would make a college op applicant more appealing than a prior enlisted?

croakerfish

pilot
Oh, very interesting. Is it because of the extensive training? What would make a college op applicant more appealing than a prior enlisted?

The two EOD guys I went to OCS with were both prior EOD, and IIRC they said this was always the case. It might be different for, say, Academy people but don't quote me on it.

exNavyOffRec

The guy I had picked for EOD wasn't prior, but he had a family history in EOD so his name was known to those on the board.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
The guy I had picked for EOD wasn't prior, but he had a family history in EOD so his name was known to those on the board.

Ditto, I'm working with one with a similar circumstance.

About 5-7 members are selected for EOD each year and you're correct the vast majority of them are current/prior-enlisted EOD.

exNavyOffRec

Ditto, I'm working with one with a similar circumstance.

About 5-7 members are selected for EOD each year and you're correct the vast majority of them are current/prior-enlisted EOD.

That is a lot more than what it used to be, until I left it was only 1-2 max.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
The EOD guy I went through with was a prior with silver star...

Mr Spenz

"Your brief saved your flight' - every IP
pilot
It is far, far.....far far far far more selective than intel. Maybe 1 or 2 for OCS per year and I believe they are generally all prior enlisted EOD.
Yep. A guy that just commissioned two classes below me was a prior Chief EOD.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
When I went through OCS, I tried to redesignate to EOD and both slots for my year group were full-up. Both of the guys were in the class behind me and were awesome dudes. They said the only real way to get in is to enlist as EOD and go to OCS or to get in good with the community and try to transfer over. If you commission into something else, you'll have one selection board a year (I believe in March) to try and redesignate. If it's something you really want to do, though, give it a shot and don't take no for an answer.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Honestly, probably nothing. Those guys are already proven leaders in their warfare community, have proven they can endure the training, and are getting an opportunity to carry their abilities and their community to a higher level.

exNavyOffRec

Honestly, probably nothing. Those guys are already proven leaders in their warfare community, have proven they can endure the training, and are getting an opportunity to carry their abilities and their community to a higher level.

and they have already been through EOD school, just like enlisted SEALs getting commissioned to be a SEAL officer, they don't have to go through school again.

Mr Spenz

"Your brief saved your flight' - every IP
pilot
I met more off the street SEAL officers (~6) than I did prior service/AD SEALs (1) while at OCS. But only prior EODS.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
I met more off the street SEAL officers (~6) than I did prior service/AD SEALs (1) while at OCS. But only prior EODS.

I concur from back when I went through. We had 9 off the street SPECWAR candidates and only 1 prior enlisted SEAL (Morgan Luttrell). Only 2 of the 9 made it through BUDs.

IWhopeful

Well, I got a little excited when I read that Officer Candidates with language skills are welcomed, and that you can commission until age 31; then I read that I need to have already been enlisted as an EOD. Technician to have any real chance. Damn. I am 29 looking at other officer designators, where I can use my prior service (CTI) nd PT skills to my advantage, if I can't get into IDC. I was always OUTSTANDING On the PRT and maintaining. Any suggestions?