• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Serious advice needed

zaleskb1

I am 32 years old. Unmarried, no kids. I have BA in political science, an MA in intelligence studies and I am currently pursuing an MBA. I am a revenue agent, employed by state since January 2006. I was acting President of 235 member local in AFSCME union from jan 2013, till i was elected President this past June.

So.....a very long story short I have been in the application process for dircom in Navy Reserve since Jan 2006. It hasn't been fun or easy so say the least. Lots of misplaced paperwork, multiple recruiters, you name it. I first tried Intel, but was persuaded not to based uponqualifications. Then cam Supply, where I I finally got an application together, only to face rejection by district, so it never went to Board (admitted to pot use in college).

It has been a dream/goal of mine for a long time now to become a Navy Officer. However, the underlying desire for such is that itch, that urge, someting, that I need to serve the Navy regardless. On that, and with the enduring officer aplication process, Enlistment has become a common thought of mine...too common....

Ive started to really debate some pros/cons, and Ive been told by numerous sources to go for it and also to not go for it. It became a common thought when I saw the beaurocratic bull my boss goes through, plus all the ridiculous bull Ive seen working as a union President. That led me to have thoughts of facing/dealing with such as a Navy Officer, thus thinking enlistment route has that better of a pro to really consider it.

Joinging the Navy Reserve/becoming an Officer is something that is on my mind every single day.....yes, every day. I cant shake this desire to serve. Maybe its some form of prestige I wanna feel from serving, who knows. Maybe Im even attracted to the prestige of being a Navy Officer. Even looking at other branches, my heart keeps me coming back to Navy.

I really think I would be a great Officer, perhaps even deserve such. Quite a crossroads. One thing, even if enlistment happens, I will keep applying for Officer till its no longer possile.

So...any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Bam Bam

FTS AMDO
Zaleskb1,

One of the first things that you need to figure out is why your application for Supply O was rejected by the district for pot use in college. Did you meet with the commander of the recruiting district to try and obtain a waiver? Usually, pot usage is waiverable if enough time has elapsed. You need to find out from a recruiter if you can get a waiver for enlistment or commissioning based on your prior drug usage.

exNavyOffRec

Zaleskb1,

One of the first things that you need to figure out is why your application for Supply O was rejected by the district for pot use in college. Did you meet with the commander of the recruiting district to try and obtain a waiver? Usually, pot usage is waiverable if enough time has elapsed. You need to find out from a recruiter if you can get a waiver for enlistment or commissioning based on your prior drug usage.

The amount he said before would be a CNRC waiver, often NRD's won't submit unless they are fairly sure it will be approved.

Bam Bam

FTS AMDO
The amount he said before would be a CNRC waiver, often NRD's won't submit unless they are fairly sure it will be approved.

I just went back and read some of the posts from last year. I didn’t know how many times he experimented with marijuana. I do know a few folks that have gotten the CNRC waiver. They said it was difficult but they had really good hand written statements and a gracious waiver authority. I believe that the endorsement letter from the NRD CO probably helped as well.

exNavyOffRec

I just went back and read some of the posts from last year. I didn’t know how many times he experimented with marijuana. I do know a few folks that have gotten the CNRC waiver. They said it was difficult but they had really good hand written statements and a gracious waiver authority. I believe that the endorsement letter from the NRD CO probably helped as well.

yeah, I had a CO who put up a waiver for a person that had a bit of MJ use, CNRC called him and said are you sure this is a person you want? the CO backed down and after that if it was a CNRC drug waiver he wouldn't sign off.

zaleskb1

It has been over 10 years. When the issue came up of "how many times" my honest and intital answer to recruiter was I dont really know, its been so long....but was told i had to give a specific number. Giving 10+ probably not what they wat to hear.

Waiver issue came up, but that was all. After 3 months and no response after application deadline, i emailed recruiter for status, where i then learned I "didnt make it out of NRD." Thats how it basically ended...but with a possibility of reapply.

One of my worst mistakes in life....but thats how we learn and teach others not to follow suit.

Basically, unelss certain application questions change, my only real route to serve, is elistment? And then show my worthiness of officer status?