• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS Pre-Conditioning Guide: Does it help?

Catharine May

So, yeah, the title really says it all. I've been going by this guide (though I have restarted a couple of times) and it's doing great for my running and push ups and really seems to be getting me into shape, but I'm wondering if it's really going to help for OCS or if I should be doing some other work out routines to get in shape? I was given an "OCS Survival Guide" by a recruiter, and it has some different notes about working out that the guide says nothing about (running 3 miles <25:00; try doing as many push ups as you can in 2 minutes, rest a minute, do as many as you can in 1 minute, rest a minute, then do as many in 30 seconds).

So, what I really want to know is if anyone who has gone through OCS knows if there is any work outs that really seem to help with the PFAs?

I went through OCS 20JUL14 - 10OCT14 and here's my take: Don't be a lazy fatbody coming in to the program. There are a million ways you can get in good shape. Lift weights, crossfit, zumba... just do something that builds cardio and lean muscle. If you are in reasonable shape (minimum satisfactory on the PRT) and have a desire to succeed, you will do just fine at OCS.

Catharine May

I went through OCS 20JUL14 - 10OCT14 and here's my take: Don't be a lazy fatbody coming in to the program. There are a million ways you can get in good shape. Lift weights, crossfit, zumba... just do something that builds cardio and lean muscle. If you are in reasonable shape (minimum satisfactory on the PRT) and have a desire to succeed, you will do just fine at OCS.
Well, I am not in the greatest shape, though I have been working on it for quite a while. At my worst, I was 170, and now I'm down to 135, though it does fluctuate to a lower weight on some days. And my running is going better, my push ups are getting better, and I'm getting thinner around the midsection so I can do sit ups better, so I guess the guide is working...

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
All jokingly aside the guide we provide to applicants is solid for preparing for OCS. Different folks have different ways to prepare (crossfit, p90x, etc) but honestly you can prepare for OCS with some running shoes and a few weights.

Catharine May

What is this guide you speak of?
It was sent in the mail to me by my recruiter. It has a list of times you want to try to make for running, weight machines you should use, push up and curl up work outs, stretches, and even a 10 week work out routine to follow. I've restarted twice and am off by a few days due to being sick, but I'm currently on the last day of week 3.

Catharine May

All jokingly aside the guide we provide to applicants is solid for preparing for OCS. Different folks have different ways to prepare (crossfit, p90x, etc) but honestly you can prepare for OCS with some running shoes and a few weights.
I'm following the guide right now because if I don't, I may mess up my push ups or sit ups. I have a horrible time with push ups, but this guide's time table makes it really easy to work on them. And while I wait for the Pilot/NFO board to meet, I need to work on getting in shape. Waiting for the board is the main motivation right now and I'm pretty confident I'll get in enough shape.

red_ryder

None
In reality, anything you do that will get you in better shape will help generally. For specifics, focus on doing lots of pushups all the time with good form, situps with good form, and high intensity cardio.

My personal recommendation as a secondary focus is core endurance, like holding planks for extended periods of time and flutter kicks.

red_ryder

None
Yeah, you also haven't actually done it yet. Getting in is just the first step, if you want to avoid a lot of pain in OCS get good at those things far beyond what will get you in the door.

lenninscjay

Red-headed stepchild (MH-53)
I found some useful reading about getting your run times down & shin splins. It's in an old archived thread here: http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-59127.html

Most important quote I think: "don't get NPQed before you even get down there..." Seriously, I've read a lot about people over-training/overexerting and checking into OCS with shin splints/stress fractures etc. and getting NPQ'd because of it.

I myself am in only moderate shape but my main concern is not about passing the PFT. The main reason I'm pre-conditioning is just to avoid injuries that can occur when you go from nothing to PT'ing every day.

That being said, I am working on my numbers. Key is just don't overdo it in whatever you do.