• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Swim Qualification

Hi,

I have a question regarding the Third Class Swim Qual and was wondering if someone that has already done it at OCS can offer some guidance. I am currently active duty and I went through bootcamp almost 9 years ago, but it appears as though over this course of time, the Third Class Swim qualification has changed. It used to be a requirement that the service member had to TREAD water for five minutes, and that has now been changed to a PRONE FLOAT for five minutes with the face in the water. My question is, can you move any portion of your body while floating? Can you move your legs a little, as for most people this is the first portion of the body that will begin to sink? I understand that you must remain stationary and calm, but can you move your legs slightly? Any information would be appreciated, also any advice on HOW TO PRONE FLOAT without my legs sinking to the body would be great! I know they will do remedial sessions if I don't pass on the first try, but I would much rather pass the qualification on the first try. I watched the video on the OCS website, but it doesn't offer much information on this particular portion of the swim qualification.
Thanks in Advance.

The goal in the survival float is to expend as little energy as possible for long periods of time. With that in mind, they don't want you moving your legs at all. As to what your in-water instructors will let you get away with, I'm not sure. So my advice would be as follows: Don't move your legs. Accept that your legs are going to sink down low, but that they won't pull you to the bottom. Your head will still be inches from the surface. I guarantee you won't sink. It's all about demonstrating comfort in the water. The instructors can tell who is uncomfortable in the first few seconds, and they will focus on those individuals.

If you aren't comfortable in the water doing this, get in the pool. Start off by grabbing the side, and putting your face in the water. Relax your legs. This will simulate the prone float, but should give you some increased comfort in the water as you will have contact with the side of the pool. Don't move your legs. After you get comfortable doing this, just do it without grabbing anything.

Ok that's where my confusion was coming in, I thought our feet had to be just below the surface... I guess that's what I am looking for clarity on. Do they need to be just below the surface or can we allow them to sink and come up for air as needed? I was watching the video on the OCS website and it appears as though everyone's feet is just below the surface.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Technique: bend at the waist, let your legs dangle towards the bottom. Usually the back of your head and some of your back will be on the surface. Don't move.. float. Breathe like you normally would.

The whole point is to relax. Let your body rest somewhere near the surface and slow your breathing/heartrate.

ok... maybe I need to practice in deep water... I'm using an indoor pool that only goes up to 6 ft which is probably why this isn't doing me much justice. I'll try the techniques you guys mentioned! Thanks so much for the advice.. I'm starting to get really worried about this now.. ;-/

b0pric01

pilot
I hated swimming and really, really hated API because of it. I basically had to learn to swim while there and the float was the worst to me, but if I remember correctly the technique that worked for me was to tuck your knees to your chest, stick your arms out in front of your head, and try and remain as calm as possible. The goal is to lower your heart rate after the tread, which is very difficult if you aren't comfortable in the water.

In the video the guy says for 3rd class you can move your arms and legs, but I'm unsure how current that info is. Good luck and remember it really is mostly mental.

thank you!!! can you tuck your legs for the qual? maybe I should try that? my comfort level might be another issue.. i just really hate swimming pools so its difficult for me to just be extremely comfortable.... I'm going to the gym 3 times a week but I think I need to up to 5... it's hard with it just being me because I don't even know where to start with trying to teach myself... But i'm determined to get it. thank you!

You can lightly tread... the instructors in the pool are simply looking to make sure you aren't freaking out. Just relax, take 5-7 seconds between breaths, and go from there. If you fail they will work with you daily (during PT time) until you pass, and if you pass during practice, you're golden. I was looking back through the adjutant files and only 1 person in the last year rolled for swim qual failure. The goal is to push Ensigns at OCS - keep that in mind with everything there.