• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Not fit for sea duty

All, I'm a commissioned SWO(1110). Recently I suffered a tib-fib fracture. If I go to a med board and am deemed not fit for sea duty, what are my options?-Thanks

azguy

None
I would think they would stash you ashore (DESRON/TYCOM) for 6 months to let it heal then send you back to sea. That's what I've seen with bad (leg/hip/back) fractures.

If your case is more serious - talk to your detailer. It's one thing to be color blind, but I doubt they would retain an ENS/JG in the Navy that can never go back to sea. Contrary to popular belief, most Staff and RL communities need people that can work on ships, aircraft, and generally austere locations.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Oh I dunno. He's commissioned and warfare-qualed and thats a lot different than if he were pre-commissioned. The kicker I've always seen has been if you're "non-deployable" which is different than fit for sea duty. So if your condition requires you to always be near a big hospital, say, or your mobility is so limited you can't get around on foot easily. I think you'll be okay. However, hope you like wherever you're stationed now, because you're going to be ashore for a while. A med board operates on geologic time, and that process won't even start until you're pronounced healed by your primary doc. If once you're healed you can pass the PFA and don't have any mobility problems, you should eventually get back to sea. If for some reason you can do those things but they feel you shouldn't be on a boat - like you can't climb all the ladders or carry a firefighting ensemble or something - then it becomes a "redes or med retire" issue. I would think something like ID wouldn't be out if the question if you're still considered deployable, ie, they can send you to Bahrain or Okinawa, just not on a boat.
I've known a couple guys on extended med holds (4 years in one case). If that winds up being you, it's not a bad idea to use that time working on your master's or something to set yourself up for the outside just in case.

TimeBomb

Noise, vibration and harshness
dmoney,
Your note does not state exactly where you are in the injury/recovery/disposition process. Are you writing your letter a week out from your injury, or are you a year out and are looking at a non-healed fracture?

Your medical and administrative disposition will be driven by your condition and degree of recovery. If you have been recently injured and the expected time for recovery is greater than 90 days, the correct (not always followed by medical, by the way), will be to place you on Limited Duty (LIMDU) status. That administrative function is called a "Medical Evaluation Board", and is a product of the local military hospital. That request is submitted to PERS, who reviews the information provided by your treating physicians. We generally approved LIMDU as requested, but not always. Limited duty is granted by PERS, and has an initial 6 month period, which can be extended for another 6 month period if your physician requests one. If your injury heals completely before your period of LIMDU is complete, your orthopedic surgeon will return you to full duty, at which point you'll be back in the mix for orders if your PRD is up.

If you don't get well after two periods of LIMDU, you physician should refer your case to the Physical Evaluation Board (PEB) for disposition. Additional periods of LIMDU can be requested, but when I was in that chair, a third period of LIMDU was generally not approved. The Navy had little interest in retaining people that couldn't be assigned, but who counted against authorized end-strength.
R/

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
Go to Monterey, get an M.S. in something you like (or something lucrative), just in case.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
My old DH (former SWO) was DQ'd for sea duty for a heart murmur or something like that. Anywho, he put in and was able to lat-transfer to Human Resources. So to answer your question, there's other possibilities to serve as an officer.