• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NA/NFO/Air Crew issued wrist watches?

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
Howdy...

Just curious...I'm sort of a mechanical watch guy and have been dorking with some of my watches today...anyway...I had remembered seeing in my NATOPS Flight Personnel Training/Qualification Jacket in Section D: Flight Equipment Issue that "WATCH, WRIST" is listed (see pic below). We were never issued a wrist watch...BUT I'm curious if maybe some of you ridiculously salty dogs from several decades ago had been issued a wrist watch. If so, what make and model? Pics would be really cool! Heck, I dunno...maybe the USN/USMC/USCG is currently issuing wrist watches?

Renegade One

None
I don't know as there's still a modern-day version, but back in the Vietnam era, there was a "Combat Watch". I finally got one in 1975. You can find replicas/look-alikes on the web today. Pretty vanilla black-faced wind-up "hack watch" with a steel casing and an olive nylon band. I think mine was made by Hamilton, but they were probably made by numerous "low bidders"… Nothing to write home about, except they were all a part of the "been there…done that" stuff. Kinda like Cubi belt buckles, etc.

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
View attachment 14123

This was standard issue back when I was in 44 at Cecil.:) (Illinois Watch Co.)
Man, you ARE salty. ;)

Is that a lever set or a stem set?

EDIT: I zoomed in on the watch and see that it's a lever set...very nice. :cool:

BUT, is it an Illinois?

It's difficult to read the watch face...even when employing the zoom...my zoom sucks.

Also, where's the usual Miller Lite? ;)

Last edited:

brownshoe

Contributor
Man, you ARE salty. ;)

Is that a lever set or a stem set?

EDIT: I zoomed in on the watch and see that it's a lever set...very nice. :cool:

BUT, is it an Illinois?

It's difficult to read the watch face...even when employing the zoom...my zoom sucks.

Also, where's the usual Miller Lite? ;)

That's my Grandfather's watch (lever, you're right). Thing just needs cleaning every once in a while and keeps on ticking. It is an Illinois, and the Miller Lite is on the desk behind me.

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
That's my Grandfather's watch (lever, you're right). Thing just needs cleaning every once in a while and keeps on ticking. It is an Illinois, and the Miller Lite is on the desk behind me.
Got it! :cool:

And that's good news regarding what's highlighted in red above! :D

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
HA!

There's the Miller Lite...sporting the retro livery! :cool:

Also, was your grandfather a railroader? From what I understand, many (if not most) railroaders utilized lever set watches so as to avoid accidental stem deployment which could reset the time...which could lead to absolute chaos regarding railroad operations.

brownshoe

Contributor
HA!

There's the Miller Lite...sporting the retro livery! :cool:

Also, was your grandfather a railroader? From what I understand, many (if not most) railroaders utilized lever set watches so as to avoid accidental stem deployment which could reset the time.
Yes he was a railroader, Brunswick, Maryland, freight. I've a few photos, I'll post later (gotta find 'em.)

brownshoe

Contributor
Cool beans. :cool:

B&O RR? C&O RR?

Looking forward to seeing the photos. :)

B&O, he's the fourth from the left (standing on the engine). This was taken at the Brunswick yard. They certainly are a bunch of safety violators, huh? :)
(John, sorry for the thread-jack(s).)

Attachments

• B&O1.jpg
    B&O1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 45