• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Correspondence Course Review

The reserve retirement point page of USNR N7 states:
"Non-Resident Training Courses are not currently listed in this course spread sheet. It is our goal to have all courses that meet the required criteria on the next iteration of the Reserve Retirement Point Listing."

I would expect to see the next listing within the next 3 weeks or so, but that's a WAG.

m5h9

IMO, the "New Course Point Policy" message seems a little fishy. The only place I have seen the message is this forum, unlike the HYT IRR message that was tweeted, facebooked, is an actual navy message on NPC, and written about in Navy Times. So, if the policy change is true and implemented, of the NETC course taking ~47,000 IRR members (most of which are probably not devotees of AW), they will be short come point total time. I personally can't envision a pers-9? clerk wading through a mountain of certificates carefully corroborating with the approved spreadsheet to confirm that each course meets the specific criteria for that individual. Also, with the FY-15/16 retention/continuation policy being fairly generous seems to contradict the unstated intention of the "correspondence course policy change." Maybe I'm just reading the tea leaves when there is probably nothing there to read.... I'm going to take the usual CNET courses, send them in, and see what happens. BTW, there are a few/many JKO courses on the approved course list that appear nowhere to be found on JKO.

I understand your skepticism -- especially since NAVRESFOR was supposed to promulgate this to all reservists (even us lowly IRRs). But I assure you that it's a valid message. It is posted on the NAVRESFOR website N7 page. Or just call your local NOSC and I'm sure that the CCC or SEL can corroborate that it is a "real" message. The HYT message got more traction, IMHO, because that was a NAVADMIN message vice a NRF one.

IMO, the "New Course Point Policy" message seems a little fishy. The only place I have seen the message is this forum, unlike the HYT IRR message that was tweeted, facebooked, is an actual navy message on NPC, and written about in Navy Times. So, if the policy change is true and implemented, of the NETC course taking ~47,000 IRR members (most of which are probably not devotees of AW), they will be short come point total time. I personally can't envision a pers-9? clerk wading through a mountain of certificates carefully corroborating with the approved spreadsheet to confirm that each course meets the specific criteria for that individual. Also, with the FY-15/16 retention/continuation policy being fairly generous seems to contradict the unstated intention of the "correspondence course policy change." Maybe I'm just reading the tea leaves when there is probably nothing there to read.... I'm going to take the usual CNET courses, send them in, and see what happens. BTW, there are a few/many JKO courses on the approved course list that appear nowhere to be found on JKO.

Sam I am

Average looking, not a farmer.
pilot
Contributor
Classic policy change in that it captures the essence of "Ready, FIRE...uhmmm, oh yeah, AIM!"

Amen brother (or sister). I was shocked that this didn't get more publicity. If I weren't on AW, I'm sure I'd have done some NETC courses and not gotten points. Of course, you're probably right about PERS still posting the points anyway. I'm more upset that it seems to be a backdoor way to get people out of the IRR. If the Navy doesn't want people to do 16 years in the IRR, make that the policy. Promotions/HYT and CAC made it tough enough already.

I've also noticed that several (I'd say at least three) of the JKO courses don't seem to exist. My third email to CNRF N7's Chief in charge of vetting courses asked about this, but I've gotten one non sequitur response for one email, and none for the other two, so I think the guy's just overwhelmed. I can't figure out how so many courses (three of the five that have looked interesting to me!) could have changed already though.

Duncan Idaho

I like cheese.
None
I spoke with Avis in Pers-912 about two weeks ago. She's one of the two ladies that are responsible for putting all our courses into the system. The correspondence course policy change was a complete surprise to her and her co-worker when it came out but they are doing what they can to be sure that they are implementing it appropriately. For what it is worth, she seemed like a genuinely nice person and she's trying hard to do her job.

Has anyone tried the FEMA courses? I'm on my third one and find them pretty easy.

Kathy, I had to do one of them on Active Duty -- Emergency Operation Center basics, I think. All I remember is that it took a loooong time. So I've shyed away from them as a reservist. I have *started* a couple FEMA courses just to feel them out; but I intend to knock out all my in-rate/general Navy coursework before hitting the FEMA stuff up.

JKO actually has some of the FEMA courses available to do online ... are you doing your through FEMA/CERT or through JKO? Just curious.

Please keep us posted as to how PERS-913 treats them for crediting.

Kathy Leone

ResOfficer
Kathy, I had to do one of them on Active Duty -- Emergency Operation Center basics, I think. All I remember is that it took a loooong time. So I've shyed away from them as a reservist. I have *started* a couple FEMA courses just to feel them out; but I intend to knock out all my in-rate/general Navy coursework before hitting the FEMA stuff up.

JKO actually has some of the FEMA courses available to do online ... are you doing your through FEMA/CERT or through JKO? Just curious.

Please keep us posted as to how PERS-913 treats them for crediting.

Thanks for the info. I was just using the FEMA/CERT site. The JKO courses look pretty easy too. I'm burned out on the DAU courses. Does PERS-913 accept all of the JKO on the reserve course listing?
I have some NETC courses on hold pending your comments on their reinstatement. Maybe next quarter. Thanks again.

J.Bourne

Just looked at the course listing (Thanks Sam I Am). Has anyone heard if each quarter a new list comes out, or is this the list and it will be modified if/when needed? We are suppose to take courses that are career enhancing, but many of the course listed for each specialty (under NKO?) seem as reaching.

PT Goodtimes

pilot
Just looked at the course listing (Thanks Sam I Am). Has anyone heard if each quarter a new list comes out, or is this the list and it will be modified if/when needed? We are suppose to take courses that are career enhancing, but many of the course listed for each specialty (under NKO?) seem as reaching.

Late to the game on this but this thread has been very helpful -- does anyone know how an IRR officer (O-4) with no CAC card can earn points now?

NETC courses (which it sounds like will be back on the list soon) are probably the best bet. It looks like FEMA, Acquisition, and joint knowledge online courses might get you through for a while too, but it seems like there are many less points available for the taking.

You can become a Naval Academy Blue & Gold Officer. It's not necessary to have graduated USNA for that. It's points only, and it might take a few years before you get assigned schools and get the training so you can start claiming points.

I believe there are similar deals with Sea Scouts/Sea Cadets too. That is, help out, get drill credit.

Talk to you local NOSC and see if you can do military funeral honors. In fleet concentration areas it's done by active Sailors, but elsewhere by reservists. You get one point per funeral (they probably take 3-hours of your time from the second you get ready to the second you're back home), you get a point per funeral, you get paid per funeral, and you're actually doing something that means a great deal to the next of kin.

Good luck!
VXC

PT Goodtimes

pilot
NETC courses (which it sounds like will be back on the list soon) are probably the best bet. It looks like FEMA, Acquisition, and joint knowledge online courses might get you through for a while too, but it seems like there are many less points available for the taking.

You can become a Naval Academy Blue & Gold Officer. It's not necessary to have graduated USNA for that. It's points only, and it might take a few years before you get assigned schools and get the training so you can start claiming points.

I believe there are similar deals with Sea Scouts/Sea Cadets too. That is, help out, get drill credit.

Talk to you local NOSC and see if you can do military funeral honors. In fleet concentration areas it's done by active Sailors, but elsewhere by reservists. You get one point per funeral (they probably take 3-hours of your time from the second you get ready to the second you're back home), you get a point per funeral, you get paid per funeral, and you're actually doing something that means a great deal to the next of kin.

Good luck!
VXC
Thanks very much, VXC.

A few more questions -- I was accepted into JPME Web-enabled and enrolled in the 20 week TSDM course that begins on 2/18/15. That means I'll be done sometime in June or July -- assuming I pass, the points are credited on the day the course ends, correct? (My anniversary date is in May). Can I then wait a few months to enroll in the next course so that my next 'course completion date' is after my next anniversary date?

Also, thanks for the advice on FEMA courses. I was able to register and enroll without a CAC card and successfully complete a course.

Any word on when the NETC courses will be approved on the list? Those are definitely easier than FEMA.

Finally, if I have a buddy who has a CAC, does anyone know if he can access my ARPR/ASOSH (with my information and permission)?

Thanks guys.

Duncan Idaho

I like cheese.
None
Finally, if I have a buddy who has a CAC, does anyone know if he can access my ARPR/ASOSH (with my information and permission)?
I don't know for sure as perhaps things have changed, but the last I checked that doesn't work unfortunately. The CAC is the login to BUPERS so only information associated with the person with the CAC is viewable. Even a unit's Admin Officer or CO can't access someone else's ARPR/ASOSH.