• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The SHOW: Airlines still a "good gig"??

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
Oh, really?

Some of us don't have the cool guy 'Rectal Glaucoma' gig going on.

You 'Rectal Glaucoma' cool guys don't see your ass flying.

Get it? :D

I want to be a 'Rectal Glaucoma' cool guy...BUT...I see my ass flying a fair piece due to our airline being short of pilots and the fact that I fly the junior aircraft (Mad Dog!)...AND...probably because I still don't know how to bid.
I'll keep that in mind when I go back on reserve in 10 days. FWIW last flight was 24 days ago..

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
I've been thinking...you 'Rectal Glaucoma' people who don't fly are a joke...now that I can hold MD-88/90 (MAD DOG!) Captain in New York on RESERVE:
  • I have visions of a really cool crash pad in Manhattan
  • I have visions of sharing the really cool crash pad in Manhattan with super models from Sweden, Norway and Denmark
  • I have visions of partying all night long in Manhattan's best disco-techs with the crash pad super models from Sweden, Norway and Denmark
  • I have visions of meeting other better looking super models when the super models from Sweden, Norway and Denmark figure out I'm a loser because I wear 1980's 'Miami Vice' clothing
  • I have visions of FLYING A TON and not being able to do any of the above
Never mind.

:(

Last edited:

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
For those riding in the back, American Airlines has just changed its frequent flyer program from miles flown to dollars spent (following Delta and United.) It appears that it is now a better deal to uses rewards for hotel rooms rather than travel. http://thepointsguy.com/category/airlines/american/
The next shoe to drop is tying miles directly to a monetary value. That way awards will be purchased with miles like cash money where a mile is worth $.XX . That is how AMEX and some other reward bank cards work. I thought I heard Delta has already gone that route.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
For those riding in the back, American Airlines has just changed its frequent flyer program from miles flown to dollars spent (following Delta and United.) It appears that it is now a better deal to uses rewards for hotel rooms rather than travel. http://thepointsguy.com/category/airlines/american/
Who cares? My daughter, my parents and I ride for free or next to free with Zed fares. True it's standby but we have always gotten to where we want to go in a reasonable time. It's part of the good gig thing from the thread title.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Who cares? My daughter, my parents and I ride for free or next to free with Zed fares. True it's standby but we have always gotten to where we want to go in a reasonable time. It's part of the good gig thing from the thread title.
Well, because not everyone is an airline pilot. Don't be rude. Some reading this hope to some day but aren't, and others just don't want to be but are interested in our lifestyle and careers. Then there are guys like me that nonrev all over the world but still collect miles by the boat load via other means that I use for hotels and yes, even that positive space ticket once in a while when getting there "in a reasonable" time means not within a day but within a couple hours or you miss the cruise ship sailing, kick off, or pay a few hundred dollars penalty for a hotel room you missed check in for. And that is because the good deal is just not as good deal as it used to be. Looks like I will be able to nonrev to IAH for thanksgiving. But I can't get the family to DFW or ORD. If I can't get to DFW or ORD can't get on that open flight to CDG or ZRH. Be honest with these guys. It's a good gig. But it ain't what it used to be and there is a lot of myth still floating around out there.