• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Hobby cop in distress/what new gun?

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Background: For over 25 years I have been a “hobby cop” for the local Sheriff’s Office. Most of that time has been in the aviation support division. I have enjoyed it. When the flying ran out in the Navy Reserve it provided a tactical outlet for the void the Navy left. The flying is fun and the guys great. But now I am on the fence about my continued participation. This morning I drove an hour and 15 minutes to the range for my annual firearms qualification. It was the second attempt. They canceled the last date so I had to go out of my way to make this date work. Only after sitting through over an hour of range safety and Sop lecture I have heard dozens of times, I am told I can’t shoot. Seems my Sig P228 is now not authorized! I had seen the memo that announced that only 9mm and .45 would be authorized after 1JUL15 and read the paragraph that restricted guns with less than 4” barrels to full time deputies in plain clothes or off duty after 1MAY this year. I never dreamed my P228 was less than 4” or they would adopt a rule that exclude such a fine weapon, and others. Its exterior dimensions are the same as others with 4” barrels. Sure enough, my barrel is 3.8 inches. I have an H&K USP Compact that has a 4” barrel, but it is a .40 so will be illegal 1JUL15. So I asked about a 9mm barrel conversion for my USP. Fine they said, but only until next summer. After 1JUL15 ONLY striker fired weapons and 1911 style .45s will be permitted. I just gave my Glock 19 to my son when he got married and moved away.

I am sure most of you are thinking, great, an excuse to buy a gun. Well, me too, for a while. On the long drive home I just got to thinking what a bunch a BS it has become, and expensive. I feel like some of you guys on active duty feel. Is it worth it? Although not affecting me, they have recently decreed that everyone will have to complete the firearms academy and carry a weapon when on duty. Most of the volunteer pilots in my unit are not firearms qualified. Policy is they NEVER leave the aircraft. Not a rotor head, I fly as a tactical Flight Officer running the LE mission. We do get out. Pilots, never. Some deputy pilots don’t even carry their weapon in the aircraft. So why fvck with us? What is the point? The firearms change is unbelievably costly to nearly half of the volunteers and deputies. Lots of guys carry .40 S&W. Lots of compact Sigs and others that come up short. Because of a bogus lawsuit the court has ordered all of us to undergo 2 days of training on how to be unbiased. Imagine SAPR being two days long! Of course the court sets the dates so they are all on week days, something most volunteer types can’t hack without taking a vacation day. Volunteers are quitting because of it. On top all that, due to some politics, the flying opportunities for me have dwindled. There is more. I won’t bore you with the rest. Lots of you are having or recently had the some internal debate about the Navy. Comments, insights, suggestions? Stay or go?
Oh, so if I get a new gun, I want a compact similar to the P228 (to minimize duty holster and vest expenditures). I like the S&W M&Ps and have shot the XDs as well. Have to make sure it has a 4” barrel. Not interested in the 1911. I have one and I am not too crazy about its use in everyday LE. Any suggestions?

azguy

None
Why not trade your son the P228 and get your G19 back? That would only set you back FFL fees and shipping...$100 tops, throw in a new holster for the Glock and it's still way cheaper than buying a new gun.

Curious what prompted the move away from .40 and Sigs...

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thought about the trade with my son. Fact is, I have carried the Sig on duty for about 25 years. I love it and although I have never had to shoot it on duty, I feel like it has been a faithful partner ensuring my safety for all those years. Those few times I did clear leather I was totally confident in it. Hate to just send it packing. The change wasn't from Sig proper, just away from DAO and DA/SA semi autos. Everything must be striker fired now. Don't know why the .40 hate. I expect ammo cost required them to standardize and reduce inventory. 9mm and .45 acp won out. Lots of guys shooting .40 and .357Sig are pissed. But since they don't give the volunteers ammo to shoot (we buy everything), seem like we could have gotten a caliber waiver at least.

Machine

Super *********
pilot
None
Site Admin
You had a Glock 19, and you said you like the M&Ps, so I'd say get the one you like better...19 or M&P9? Both of these could be had for under $500.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
You had a Glock 19, and you said you like the M&Ps, so I'd say get the one you like better...19 or M&P9? Both of these could be had for under $500.

...$399 from GT Distributors for a Blue Label Glock. I'm sure there's a similar price for a M&P.

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
Heck, Wink...I say go for the gusto and get a Remington 870 Wingmaster 12 gauge.

Works good lasts long time!

;)

My last day of patrol with the Cincinnati Police in 2006 preflighting the 870...

wiseguy04

The Dude abides....
pilot
Wow....

That is beyond ridiculous, and I feel your pain, since the 228 has been my carry-gun as well for the last 9 years. Too short?! Unbelievable...

If I was stuck in your shoes, I'd probably be looking at a G19 or G17 (and with an RMR attachment!! :))

Sorry for your situation bro.....

And ditto on the 1911. No thanks...

exNavyOffRec

I have shot both the M&P and the XD, to me I had no difference in my grouping and they felt very similar, the XD was cheaper though, I bought my full size XD .40 for 450.00 if cost wasn't a concern I probably would have done a coin toss :)

That cost was without any discount, at the time S&W didn't have any discount either, now they have a 50.00 rebate for military.

Edit: I do like S&W, my duty weapon when I was an on call deputy was a S&W 4006, I still have it and shoot it often, much heavier than the ones now.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If I stay, I am leaning toward the M&P unless the Glock is a good bit cheaper. I'd like to not have to buy new kit, so maybe it will depend on which one best fits my duty holster/mag holders, and tac vest I fly with. It isn't a state thing, county sheriff's office. They went from permitting almost any caliber and gun to very restrictive. They have even done away with the shot gun. Only long gun is a rifle. I am still not sure I want to stay. It seems like so much BS. If I was flying more or was still tight with some guys on patrol I probably would stick around. But I don't know now.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
FWIW, I primarily shoot either Glock or Sig for pistol (my 1911 doesn't get much action lately). I've found that Glock mags are slightly fatter than Sig mags, so a Glock carrier may fit Sig mags, with some adjustment, but trying to fit a Glock mag into a Sig carrier is a no-go. This seems to be something I've found across all of my carriers, so if I buy something new, I try to buy Glock items and then snug them down if I need to run a Sig mag (obviously for far more recreational uses than you would run them for).

I know that doesn't answer the much bigger question for you, but just thought I'd put it out there.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Good info. When I had the G19 I never tried to fit the mags into my Sig carrier. I did get the Glock to fit one of my P228 holsters very well though, so I gave that to my son too.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
And then there is this the Sig P320 http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductList/pistols-p320.aspx .
I like that it is truly modular. Set it up for full size for duty carry and then compact for carry/wifey. Change calibers, no problem. Problem, cost. Not bad I think for a Sig, but more than a M&P and good bit more than G19. I already have a USP Compact .40 and the P228 is a small frame. I really don't need another compact except it is my personal preference. The ability to change between full and compact appeals to me. Anyone have knowledges of this weapon?