• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Osprey bailout?

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
I have ridden in the back of them a bit going to and from amphibs. The back was open the entire flight and I never saw any parachutes. But I wasn't looking either.

Pags

N/A
pilot
"Ramps up" is usually a sign that the aircraft is ready for takeoff, but that's usually only the lower ramp and the upper ramp is kept open.

I'm guessing they "bailed out" (read: jumped) when the aircraft got low to the water. Many a Phrog crewman has done the same thing whether on their own initiative or per an EP.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Yeah, it's only good to bail if you know the damn thing is going in the water. Kinda makes you look dumb when the pilot recovers aboard the ship...

We used to speak of getting crewmembers out IF the helo was under control...like you were absolutely about to run out of gas. I don't think I ever would have done it. It was definitely technique only...not an EP

exNavyOffRec

"Ramps up" is usually a sign that the aircraft is ready for takeoff, but that's usually only the lower ramp and the upper ramp is kept open.

I'm guessing they "bailed out" (read: jumped) when the aircraft got low to the water. Many a Phrog crewman has done the same thing whether on their own initiative or per an EP.

A good friend of mine bailed out on two separate times when they thought the aircraft was going down, both cases the pilots recovered, in both cases the only people left on the aircraft were the pilots, I thought he was crazy for jumping out, but maybe not.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Is there any particular advantage to jumping from a helo/Osprey before impact? From the crash videos I've seen, seems like your odds would be better staying aboard than outside with all the shattering blades and flying debris.

Lawman

None
Is there any particular advantage to jumping from a helo/Osprey before impact? From the crash videos I've seen, seems like your odds would be better staying aboard than outside with all the shattering blades and flying debris.

Depending on sink rate of the aircraft in question... You may not make it out in time.

Sink rate on the 64 is estimated at 10 feet... per second. So I timed myself in dunker and it took me about 10-20 seconds to breach the surface. Thats a long damn swim.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Depending on sink rate of the aircraft in question... You may not make it out in time.

Sink rate on the 64 is estimated at 10 feet... per second. So I timed myself in dunker and it took me about 10-20 seconds to breach the surface. Thats a long damn swim.

I was more thinking about the odds of out-swimming all the flying metal: thus.

Related note: do -64 guys fly with bottles overwater?

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I would think an Osprey would float just fine, and right side up. But I don't know. Helos turn over nearly every time they ditch. I'd rather jump then take a chance on the dynamics of a ditching, expecially if at a fairly high rate of decent, and the subsequent roll over. Nasty noises, rolling aircraft, possibly sinking as well, cords, kneeboards, helmet bags and other gear impeding escape, and possible personal injury impairing escape vs a clean escape with far fewer variables. That is just me.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I seriously doubt there are any MEU or PHIBRON commanders saying "if only I had some Apaches, this straits transit would be so much easier."

Cobras and Apaches can both carry 8 hellfire. Short legs can be mitigated by refueling aboard ship. If things actually go kinetic, re-arming becomes the bigger issue. Its hard enough to operate using equipment designed for the job and guys that are familiar with the decades old doctrine and policies.

There is no logical reason to do this, besides having another bargaining chip when budget discussions come around.

I'm not talking about a MEU or off of a Gator. There's some very specific reasons why/how they'd be integrated with limited Navy assets. But again, that's about all that can be said here.

As for "integration" into a MEU or off the ship, yeah, I agree. The Marines are already there and can do it very well.

C.M. Davis

Hello all. I am writing a novel and have an Osprey scene. It is difficult to obtain much information about them, but I understand the very basics of their workings and think they are awesome. Though I'm no helo pilot by any means.

Anyway, would anyone know the Osprey's pre-flight checklist between pilot and co-pilot? I am writing a dialogue scene in which they are about to take off from a flat top, and striving for accuracy.

Thanks.
C.M. Davis

ChuckM

pilot
Mr. Davis,

You do realize you just piggy backed a fairly selfish request for technical information onto a thread with a somber and tragic outcome... (These requests are usually frowned upon on Airwarriors regardless.)

I certainly wouldn't expect much more of a response than this, especially associated with this thread.