• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Becoming a pilot through the Air National Guard.

Mar96

Hi, I am planning to become a pilot flying fighters in the Air National Guard. I plan to major in aerospace engineering. I am not looking into the Air Force Academy or the AFROTC. I plan to apply to the Air National Guard fighter squadrons as an off the street candidate. I researched and found out that while Guard units hire off the street civilians, they like to hire from within the unit. I am looking into becoming an Air National Guard fighter pilot. My question is do most guard units hire from within the unit? Should I just enlist and serve with the unit all throughout college, then apply for pilot when I graduate with my bachelor's of science of aerospace engineering degree? Exactly how many units apply from within vs ones that hire off the street civilians? I'm trying to figure out if I should enlist or not. Also, how good will a commercial pilot license look on my application? Thanks!

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Baseops.net is the place to ask the question, they are an Air Force-centric forum with plenty of folks to answer your questions.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Most Guard units do hire primarily from within. If you consider that a Guard hire usually stays in the same unit for 6+ years, they really want to know who and what they are getting. If you have been around for 4-6 years as an enlisted guy they can be sure they know you pretty well and if they want to trust you with a jet and leading airmen. In the regular active duty military you get an occasion misfit, but he is gone in about three years. You aren't stuck with him forever. Sometimes a guy just walks in off the street. Depends on the unit, where it is located ( small applicant pool ), and who you know. Bottom line, if you want to roll the dice going enlisted in the Guard will probably help. There are a couple Guard guys here on AW. Hope they can give you more authoritative info.

Mar96

Ok, thanks! Does having flying time in gliders increase the chances of being hired into a fighter unit?

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
only if you want to be a lawn dart pilot that wants to do dead stick landings (engine out) really well.....

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ok, thanks! Does having flying time in gliders increase the chances of being hired into a fighter unit?

Maybe something interesting and different to have on your application but doubtful it would help out.

Mar96

Most Guard units do hire primarily from within. If you consider that a Guard hire usually stays in the same unit for 6+ years, they really want to know who and what they are getting. If you have been around for 4-6 years as an enlisted guy they can be sure they know you pretty well and if they want to trust you with a jet and leading airmen. In the regular active duty military you get an occasion misfit, but he is gone in about three years. You aren't stuck with him forever. Sometimes a guy just walks in off the street. Depends on the unit, where it is located ( small applicant pool ), and who you know. Bottom line, if you want to roll the dice going enlisted in the Guard will probably help. There are a couple Guard guys here on AW. Hope they can give you more authoritative info.
Ok. Thanks! Do you know of any one who went down this route who I can get into contact with? Thanks.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah. Lots of folks at baseops.net. Seriously, this site is 99.9% Navy/Marine/Coast Guard. Baseops is primarily USAF/USAFR/ANG. You're going to have better luck there.