• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

14 DEC 14

PhiDelt_172

Got my separation from the AF approved for late November, so I'll be swearing in then. This switching branches thing is a scary process lol. No one had any clue how its done, but I finally got it figured out. So if there are any other branch transfers in this thread, hmu if you need help.

Haha that might actually be a thing. I'll probably chill in DC area for a few days then head out and I wouldn't mind picking you up. But you'd have to fend for yourself on xmas leave.
Speaking of which, have they explained how this will work to anyone yet? My recruiter didn't seem to know what the deal was.

Spartan695

As a newly minted E-5, I will tell you with certainty: The school will go into a so called, "Stand Down" wherein you may take leave. HOWEVER you accrue "leave" at the rate of 2.5 days a month, or 30 days a year. Having not served for a year, your "leave" account would be down about a week (i.e., 7/2.5= roughly 2 to 3 months worth of leave or a quarter of your yearly leave limit). Since you haven't served that long yet (unless you were active duty prior) then you will leave OCS with a negative leave balance. Also, leaving to go home is at your own expense. Add to this the cost of uniforms which you will have to pay out of pocket, and this experience will end up costing you quite a bit of money potentially. If I were you, I would use this time to study my new gouge (OCS will give a gouge with specific words changed but I am not sure what but it's designed so you can't just memorize everything at home and then come in and ace everything) and practice swimming/any other pt or exercise I can manage to do in that time. I will be following my own advice of course, but if you can afford to lose that time and money, there's no substitute to Christmas with your family. So bottom line, leave shouldn't matter because do yourself a favor and don't take it ^^.

smith.david

I finally got my FINSEL as well and will be swearing in Thursday. I'll be flying in from Texas for OCS, I don't really feel like a long cross country drive!
I also made a Facebook request, I have a Cessna in the background.

castrozee

Got my separation from the AF approved for late November, so I'll be swearing in then. This switching branches thing is a scary process lol. No one had any clue how its done, but I finally got it figured out. So if there are any other branch transfers in this thread, hmu if you need help.
I'm also switching branches, USN/USCG; taking the oath in December but not sure if my accrued leave transfers or my dependent info also.

Jericoice

I swore in Monday, and applied to the facebook group.

I'll be driving up from Rochester NY.

Looking forward to meeting you all.

Cap'America13

OCS: Indoctrination Candidate Phase
I just received my FINSEL today for the DEC 14 class and I'll be swearing in Friday! I am going to go ahead and apply to the FB group (I am the dude with my gf next to a body of water lol). I'll be flying in from Orlando, FL.

PhiDelt_172

I'm also switching branches, USN/USCG; taking the oath in December but not sure if my accrued leave transfers or my dependent info also.

I know that my leave doesn't transfer. So I have to take a couple weeks of terminal leave, then swear into the Navy the day after my leave ends (once i have my DD214). Id assume it would be the same for you as far as leave goes. Or you can sell it back of course.