• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Sword refurbishment

ajohn921

pilot
None
Has anyone tried a DIY refurbishment on an officer's sword before? My Dad gave me his sword when I commissioned but due to its age, the "gold" pieces on the scabbard and hilt have dulled to the point where some parts are silver in color. I am going to some weddings this fall and was hoping to bring back some of the shine.

Are there any polishes, plating etc. that you've used to restore a gold polish to on a sword, or any piece of metal? Thanks!

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    246.8 KB · Views: 21
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    650.2 KB · Views: 21

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
We had a few guys with 'legacy' swords at my school and none of them had been refinished. The only place I think you could ask about it would be a sword manufacturer or seller like Marlow, they are rare enough that I am not sure who else would know how to do it.

ssnspoon

Get a brace!
pilot
Assuming you wanted to, and assuming they use similar processes that most metal parts do (vapor deposition or charged particle/solution deposition) the only way to do it would be to completely disassemble it to parts. I don't think there is any QUALITY way to gold plate something...like dip a cotton ball in liquid gold and slap another coat on. Now if only I could find a hundred year old sword, that would be cool! Ohh, yeah, bring back aviation greens...and round engines...etc

Pags

N/A
pilot
Concur on the patina. I have my grandfathers sword and it looks salty and always stood out.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
... Now if only I could find a hundred year old sword, that would be cool! ...
I have a turn of the century Imperial German Navy Sword (if my interwebs research is spot on). The leather scabbard is in poor shape and the hilt is dull. The red and green eyes in the lions head pommel are bright (not real gems). Haven't done a thing to it. Not sure what it is worth. I had gone to a buddy's hangar to ask about a brake part for a 1946 Luscombe. He told me to look in a pile of parts he had just bought by the pick up truck load. Found my brake part, a modern Navy sword and the old German one. Told him I needed the Navy sword and brake part. He asked $50 and threw in the old sword too. It is way cool. That was 30 years ago. Hope to see what it is worth some day.

Last edited:

ssnspoon

Get a brace!
pilot
I have a turn of the century Imperial German Navy Sword (if my interwebs research is spot on). The leather scabbard is in poor shape and the hilt is dull. The red and green eyes in the lions head pommel are bright (not real gems). Haven't done a thing to it. Not sure what it is worth. I had gone to a buddy's hangar to ask about a brake part for a 1946 Luscombe. He told me to look in a pile of parts he had just bought by the pick up truck load. Found my brake part, a modern Navy sword and the old German one. Told him I'd needed the Navy sword and brake part. He asked $50 and threw in the old sword too. It is way cool. That was 30 years ago. Hope to see what it is worth some day.
I have found so many cool things the very same way! One of my favorites was an unserviceable piston/con rod/ 2 exhaust valves from a Wright 1820. The con rod was brand new still in paper (I was told since numbers could not be traced it was unusable in an engine). I would never want to use these as garage ornaments if they could be flying, but the valves will make great door handles some day!