• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Survey: Navy Sailors Harbor Widespread distrust of senior leadership

enlUSMC

It's SWOtastic
My thought, you posted a link.

What's your thoughts on the subject of said link?

Just throwing it out there as a news item. I'm not in the Navy, but I think the Marine Corps runs into the same problems. I was curious if any current USN officers think the survey is BS or something they see within their commands. (You know, seeing as how I'm trying to make this my career and all.) If anything, the survey might indicate the possibility of a poor command climate, something for officers to address within their commands as they see fit. Anyway, just a survey. I was looking for an insider's perspective.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Just throwing it out there as a news item. I'm not in the Navy, but I think the Marine Corps runs into the same problems. I was curious if any current USN officers think the survey is BS or something they see within their commands. (You know, seeing as how I'm trying to make this my career and all.) If anything, the survey might indicate the possibility of a poor command climate, something for officers to address within their commands as they see fit. Anyway, just a survey. I was looking for an insider's perspective.

I was making a point, if you post a link then go ahead and contribute to some discussion!

My take, the appearance of kneejerk reactions, , whether warranted or not, in leading to the firing of COs is a major contributor to the distrust on the O side. There would appear to be a lack of trust in those higher that there is anything but a zero-defect mentality.

azguy

None
You have SWO listed in your sig. Join SailorBob; there is a very good thread there dedicated to this survey.

Mos

None
I'd say the survey report and its conclusions do reflect what I've seen in my previous and current command. Many sailors I know perceive a dichotomy between cultural problems and warfare problems, and perceive senior leadership placing an unwarranted amount of effort into the former. The standard argument from senior leadership is that cultural problems such as sexual assault, substance abuse and other bad behaviors pose as great a threat to individual and unit readiness as threats in warfare. The dichotomy, therefore, is an oversimplification of reality. In a way, we're not just in a global war on terrorism or potential state adversaries, but also in a war on sexual assault, drug abuse, pollution, motocycle accidents, and so many other things.

But I think many feel that there's an ulterior motive. Think of the stereotype about pastor's kids. All the congregation thinks the pastor's kids are special and that their kids should act like them. When the pastor's kid fails to live up to this expectation, the stereotypical pastor strives to correct him, not just for the kid's own good, but also because the congregation is watching the pastor's kids.

I'd say this is why you see sailors complaining about a culture where there is zero tolerance for mistakes, particularly social mistakes. Senior leadership and politicians want to maintain the persona of the servicemember as a good citizen and competent hero that the American public has come to expect. Sailors acting like normal people that get drunk, act like jackasses and make a pass at the opposite sex on the weekend is unthinkable. The bad apples that rape someone, harrass the opposite sex, or get a DUI seem to indicate to leadership that the force overall is irresponsible. Compound that with how society overall has become so regulated and sensitive to one thing or another, and you have a lot of social landmines that someone can step on out in town.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
One thing that struck me recently - when the smoke cleared in the Officer Pantaleo indictment hearings, the NYPD commissioner released an official statement supporting the officer and his actions. I couldn't picture a senior Navy officer doing the same thing for a controversial case that would risk public backlash.